By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Microsoft to overtake Nintendo in Home Console Sales this Century

D2K said:
Seece said:

In case you failed to read the OP, we're talking about what is shipped 2000 onwards. I've already stated that the majority of those N64 were shipped before that year.

And where did I say MS is catching up to Nintendo home consoles total? The thread title lays things out perfectly clear. MS Vs Nintendo since 2000.

In case YOU failed to read I stated that it is foolish to compare that totality of the XBOX home console sales to just 4 Nintendo home consoles.  Where did you say that MS is catching up to Nintendo?

Microsoft to overtake Nintendo in Home Console Sales this Century

Now if MS is to 'overtake' Nintendo in Home Console Sales this century AS YOU SAY, it certainly isn't LOSING any ground.  Not sure how you handle arithmetic but for me it's a pretty transparent concept.  Red herrings don't change that fact.  The point is that you post had no point and numerous others in this thread have pointed out.  MS isn't coming anywhere close to overtaking Nintendo in home consoles and of course Sony is dominating both companies.  Those are the facts.  Sorry to break it to you. 

We are done here.

It's not foolish, that is what I wanted the thread to be about, and that's what I show. Since when did you make the rules about what has to be discussed?

I wanted to discuss MS VS NIN home consoles since 2000 and will do just that :)

Around the Network
Devil_Survivor said:
the_dengle said:

Thread title is funny, I was expecting something a bit different. Haha.

Why use estimated numbers for 360 & XBO? Why not simply use the most recent figures?

Because he has to bend the goal posts to make his side look better :P.

Ah except I have nothing to gain estimating 360 and XB1 wrong. We have the combined figures, which means shipped, the 116m~ figure I have is factual.

If I have 360 a little high then it means I have XB1 low by that exact amount. I added known XB1 and 360 LTD's end of March, with the combined shipments over the last 6 months.

Not rocket science.

Well this is awkwardly biased and true.

RolStoppable said:
Seece said:

It's not foolish, that is what I wanted the thread to be about, and that's what I show. Since when did you make the rules about what has to be discussed?

I wanted to discuss MS VS NIN home consoles since 2000 and will do just that :)

So what are your takeaways from this shift that is about to happen? Is it any special accomplishment?

MS selling more home consoles than Nintendo since the start of the century, after Nintendo release their best selling console by far. I would say it's no small feat.

Ljink96 said:

I mean, I could have done a straight MS VS Nintendo since they've been in the race together, but I decided to give Nintendo an edge and include sales since 2000 when Microsoft wasn't in the biz. I'm nice like that.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Seece said:

MS selling more home consoles than Nintendo since the start of the century, after Nintendo release their best selling console by far. I would say it's no small feat.

But it is nothing special for two reasons:

1) Microsoft enjoyed tremendous third party support ever since they entered the console business while Nintendo had to get by with scraps during the same time period. Since the console business is very momentum-driven and built on the premise that software sells hardware, healthy third support makes it a lot easier for a console manufacturer to maintain sales at a high level. This makes Nintendo the underdog in this comparison, because the odds for success have been significantly stacked against them during the timeframe that applies for this comparison.

2) The third console manufacturer, Sony, has sold twice as many home consoles as Nintendo this century. That's a huge difference.

Considering that Sony and Microsoft are a lot more similar to each other than Microsoft and Nintendo, what this thread shows is not so much that Nintendo is doing badly, but rather that Microsoft is doing badly. They shouldn't be behind Nintendo, given that Sony is so far ahead.

Nintendo being ahead of Microsoft at this point of time, that is no small feat if the circumstances are taken into account (see: point 1). But from Microsoft's perspective, being on about the same level as Nintendo is embarrassing.

Sadly, all of this shows how low Nintendo consoles are trending in the 21st century. This was probably the main point of this thread. Hopefully they can make another console as exciting as Wii.

Seece said:
Devil_Survivor said:
the_dengle said:

Thread title is funny, I was expecting something a bit different. Haha.

Why use estimated numbers for 360 & XBO? Why not simply use the most recent figures?

Because he has to bend the goal posts to make his side look better :P.

Ah except I have nothing to gain estimating 360 and XB1 wrong. We have the combined figures, which means shipped, the 116m~ figure I have is factual.

If I have 360 a little high then it means I have XB1 low by that exact amount. I added known XB1 and 360 LTD's end of March, with the combined shipments over the last 6 months.

Not rocket science.

Ok whatever, however as pointed out by others in this thread by using shipped instead of sold it favors Microsoft over Nintendo. I guess the overall result is the same either way.

RolStoppable said:
Kane1389 said:
RolStoppable said:
It had already happened in 2006, so the only noteworthy thing here is that Microsoft fell so far behind.

Not really when you take into account N64 sales from 2000 and onward

You are wrong.

On the day before the Wii launched, Microsoft had sold ~24m Xboxes and ~5.5m 360s compared to Nintendo's ~4m N64s and ~22m GCs. Therefore Microsoft had passed Nintendo some time earlier in 2006.

Oh, i thought we were talking about the time window right before 360 launched for some reason. 

Seece said:
Ljink96 said:

I mean, I could have done a straight MS VS Nintendo since they've been in the race together, but I decided to give Nintendo an edge and include sales since 2000 when Microsoft wasn't in the biz. I'm nice like that.

This. I don't understand why people have qualms with the years chosen for the comparison.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

noname2200 said:

I recommend taking it out back and ending its misery.

But I love the Wii U!!!! 

No doubt, Nintendo is to blame for its woes. I'm hoping they come back in a real kick ass way next gen.