By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Crash Team Racing or Mario Kart 64?

Too bad Crash is dead though, even though I don't own a ps3 it would be great to see another crash racing game. I hate real racing games like whatsitsname franchise from sony and whatstheothername franchise of microsoft(I really don't know the names anymore lol), so fantasy race games ftw.

Around the Network

^^agree, i like arcade and cart racers wayyy more than racing simulators

I hate posting in these old threads, but I can't help myself on this one.

Why compare these two games when one of the best cart racers of all time is from the same era? Diddy Kong Racing blows both of these games out of the water.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Crash Team Racing

But MK is great too!

I've played CTR and Mario Kart: Wii.

CTR is definitely the better game. Only problem is, I've played it so much now that the tracks are a bit dull.

This is why I'm looking forward to ModNation Racers. Track creation = win.

Around the Network

So CTR just copied MK64 and put in some extra stuff?...that sounds kinda sad...

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

Most games just copy other games and put in some extra stuff.

Naum said:

Not exactly.  It's items were a lot different... and not as good in my opinion.

The battle mode was a LOT less fun.  Which is how i judge my Kart games.

Naum said:

Meh only it sounds very negative in your sentence. When playing it you back in the day you wouldn't thought the game was just a copy of MK64.

Anyway with every new game you find people commenting that it is a copy of an other game.

Quantum Theory: 'Wow it looks like Gears of War'

3D Dot game Heroes:  'ZELDA!!'

Shadow Complex:  'Super Metroid copy without Samus Fail!

Etc.

From Wikipedia:

Crash Team Racing received favorable reviews from critics. The D-Pad Destroyer of GamePro praised the controls as "nearly-perfect" and explained that "the transparent controls allow you to concentrate on racing and blasting your opponents, and so the races are faster, more fluid and more fun."[40] Official PlayStation Magazine described Crash Team Racing as "the game that made kart racing cool" and proclaimed that "nothing has ever matched its quality."[44] Electronic Gaming Monthly noted that the game was "heavily inspired by Mario Kart, but still an amazing multiplayer racer."[39] Doug Perry of IGN stated that the game was "rock solid" in playability and graphics, but was critical of "the insanely capitalistic smile of Crash."[43] Jeff Gerstmann of GameSpot called the game "a great Mario Kart clone, and it succeeds where the likes of Mega Man, Bomberman, Diddy Kong, the Chocobo, and even Mario himself have failed."[42]