By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is this Gen of Consoles just WEAK?

Looks at driveclub and gran turismo 6 nope no difference to be found XD. These threads are starting to be annoying if you can't see the difference, changing from tv size or buy exclusive eye candy might be the solution to be impressed. Because I can't believe anyone who wasn't impressed with uncharted 4.

For open world difference compare the infamous games. I am sure the same goes for horizon 2.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Around the Network

I dunno, but I think if we were all being objective and realistic here, we all would have come to terms with the fact that we have reached a point where a lot of things will look really good, but nothing will ever blow us away again.

And I don't think that is a bad thing. There are only so many ways you can make a ball look like a ball.

They are powerful enough.  Anyone that expects them to be more powerful can't be pleased, if they were more powerful then those people would be complaining about the consoles price.  When designing a console you have to balance between power and costs.  If it bothers you that much make a PC.

They're is a very noticeable improvement imo

Objectively: Not really. Spec-wise, PS360 to PS4 jump is around same or even bigger than Xbox to Xbox360, though CPUs are pretty weak.

Subjectively: Yes. 7th gen was way too long and for the same perceived jump as 4 year Xbox-Xbox360 cycle, PS4 needed 7950-7970 level GPU (instead of 7850)

Honestly, it was quite expected (several people here, myself included, guessed pretty well PS4's GPU and RAM, though, IIRC, we all missed on CPU) - Sony was not going all in with crazy specs, and MS tied their hands with Kinect (yet, I missed One's specs completely by 2x, actually expecting 2.5TFLOPS GPU, or fully operational 7870 @1GHz).

At the end, let's wait and see exclusive heavy-hitters before jumping to conclusion.

Around the Network
Intrinsic said:
I dunno, but I think if we were all being objective and realistic here, we all would have come to terms with the fact that we have reached a point where a lot of things will look really good, but nothing will ever blow us away again.

And I don't think that is a bad thing. There are only so many ways you can make a ball look like a ball.

I agree with your comment the most so far.  I t seems that the diminishing returns aspect is what it is.  Sure, the worlds are bigger(look at minecraft) and the graphic are 1080p vs 720p.  But, the whole difference from one gen to another is a lot less visible.  

Can we tell the difference?  of course we can.  I will say, when we went from PS2 to PS3, you could see it without people doing screen captures and counting the pixels.  It was that obvious, the games were a big step up graphically.

It is near the end of the end....

I don't know about the rest, but i can say the PS4 does not suffer from this.

No! Gamers are just not able anymore to just have fun playing a game when it's not 1080p with 60Fps for some unknown reason ;)

Intrinsic said:

Once I see something like this rendered real time, I will definitely be blown away...nuclearly, no less.

http://vimeo.com/7809605

I think a lot of the disappointment is due to the fact that the industry is pretty mature. In the past generations, the upgrade in performance automatically allowed for new types of games. In the past, football games went from Xs and Os, to single colored sprites, to sprites that actually resembled people to 3D figures. Each generation made a new leap in graphics and game play possible. With the 7th generation, most games had a realistic 3D look. You really can't go anywhere from there. The new hardware allows for the graphics to be prettier but the game play is basically the same. It is going to be really difficult to make something that could not be done last gen. I am sure over time you will see some new innovations this generation but most of the games could be done on last gen. PS3s and 360s. This gens versions are just a little prettier and realistic looking.