By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Music Discussion - Are metal heads just hipsters in black?

sundin13 said:

Because its vapid and weightless. I tend to enjoy music that comes from musicians I can respect. (...) I can see the musical qualities in the bands I listen to. Why would I listen to music that is repetitive and has no substance when I could listen to music by musicians who truly care about their work and actively try to better themselves as musicians?

That's subjective as ****, though. I can give you a decently-sized list of metal songs with bad unoriginal lyrics and mind-numbing repetition, too. Let's face it, most musicians get lazy sometimes. Across genres.

This "quality" you speak about is self-defined, so it can hardly be considered an argument for anything.

sundin13 said:

I've done some decently detailed reviews when people have posted pop music on here giving my thoughts on a particular piece, vocalizing why I think it is garbage. If you have anything specific you would like me to pick apart, I will.

Care to give me a link? I'm interested in this kind of stuff.

Psychotic said:
LemonSlice said:
You made a thread just to insult an entire genre of music and it's fans? Wow.

Insult? Compare. If that comparison is an insult to you... Well...

You blatantly called metal heads egotistical, selfish and elitist...how is that not an insult?

Slipped my mind already... Elitist, sure. Egotistical and selfish? I don't think I wrote that. Still, I concede that it was a touch insulting. But can you objectively describe and/or criticize without insluting a little?

Around the Network
Psychotic said:

Think about it:

Anything gets popular, they suddenly don't like it... the elitism... the superiority complex... the way they're "non-conformist", yet still similar to each other in clothes and behavior (i. e. conforming)... the close-mindedness and their adamance in denying it... their insecurity...

Just a theory.

As a self confessed metal head, my response is... what??

I have never, and dont know any other metalheads, who have stopped liking anything because it became popular.

If anything, I relish it. The chance for a band I have liked for a while to tour and produce more music is awesome!

I wish more smaller metal bands i like would become more popular.

Current Game Machines: 3DS, Wii U, PC.

Currently Playing: X-Com(PC), Smash Bros(WiiU), Banner Saga(PC), Guild Wars 2(PC), Project X Zone(3DS), Luigis Mansion 2(3DS), DayZ(PC)

Norris2k said:

I read somwhere that whatever you liked in you teenage age, you mostly stick with it, because you activate some pleasure part of the brain when you listen to it (or something similar). Perhaps because you associate this familiar sound with when you were young (first love, best friends, first LANs, sharing a CD, whatever). Myself, I've never really liked any music without guitar, and it's not by elitism, I don't even think something like "the guitar is better than the didgeridoo and piano", that's just my feeling, I feel good with the sound of a guitar. On the contrary, I can like both Motorhead and Muse which are quite different, in term of style, period and voice... but have a guitar ! And that's not just for guitar, as different as they get, I tend to like music from the 70's. In fact, 3 of my favorite groups started exactly in 75 : Iron Maiden, Motorhead and the Sex Pistols. Sound of the 75 ? I can't even define it. Anyway, I live far away from my country... and I can tell you, I feel a similar relieve listening to my mother tongue... or listening to Rock.

Also, i feel that the music is less and less authentic, have less and less soul... nowadays it's just a product, and you feel it, based on the standard you set at the time where you started listening to music. I mean nowadays, someone produce the clip, someone else the text, music, you assemblate that with good looking people, put some money on the table and that's it. I mean the Beatles, Hendrix, Elvis Presley, it was mainstream, it sold a lot, but there is something pure in it. So, even if I listen to metal, I always felt it was not as authentic as the punk I grew up with. It's not elitism, I don't want to prove anything, but that's a feeling we get, perhaps.

As for the OP's question, I don't think music taste can relate to hipsters, it's something less wide, it's about music, but it's deeper, you can't just like other music out of openness.

So... if I understand it correctly... you admit that there's nothing special about "hard" music outside your (their, my) head, that it's a mix of nostalgia value and "feel"?

I don't think EVERY metal head is exactly what I described, but metal heads emit that vibe as a group. I know because I used to be one of them. And when I got my sh*t together, I suddenly saw my (former) friends in a different light. And I know that this is more real than what I thought before, because impartial people seem to agree mostly.

Also, it's not elitism to say "I like this". It is elitism to point at something you like and saying it's somehow more "pure", more "athentic", more... just that liking it means you are better than someone who doesn't, even though there is no indication that it might be true except your own feeling.

Metal and punk are also just a product and they always were. It was and to some extent still in a niche product, but a product nonetheless.

Bristow9091 said:
Palm touching face in 3... 2... 1...

Honestly... not sure if serious or just really dumb o.O

Read the whole thread. You'll see I am serious and not dumb.

Cleary397 said:

I have never, and dont know any other metalheads, who have stopped liking anything because it became popular.

If anything, I relish it. The chance for a band I have liked for a while to tour and produce more music is awesome!

Happened to Avenged Sevenfold, Disturbed... they reached some level of mass recognition, they were suddenly branded as "sellouts" and  "their older stuff was WAY better" and that's that, Of course not all fans left, but...

Around the Network

I'm wearing Metal Heads beating Hipster dudes black T-shirt at moment.

Bristow9091 said:

I have read the whole thread... and if you really are being serious, then I sort of feel sorry for you.

There's no reason to feel sorry, but sure, it's your right.

Psychotic said:
sundin13 said:

Because its vapid and weightless. I tend to enjoy music that comes from musicians I can respect. (...) I can see the musical qualities in the bands I listen to. Why would I listen to music that is repetitive and has no substance when I could listen to music by musicians who truly care about their work and actively try to better themselves as musicians?

That's subjective as ****, though. I can give you a decently-sized list of metal songs with bad unoriginal lyrics and mind-numbing repetition, too. Let's face it, most musicians get lazy sometimes. Across genres.

This "quality" you speak about is self-defined, so it can hardly be considered an argument for anything.

sundin13 said:

I've done some decently detailed reviews when people have posted pop music on here giving my thoughts on a particular piece, vocalizing why I think it is garbage. If you have anything specific you would like me to pick apart, I will.

Care to give me a link? I'm interested in this kind of stuff.

Psychotic said:
LemonSlice said:
You made a thread just to insult an entire genre of music and it's fans? Wow.

Insult? Compare. If that comparison is an insult to you... Well...

You blatantly called metal heads egotistical, selfish and elitist...how is that not an insult?

Slipped my mind already... Elitist, sure. Egotistical and selfish? I don't think I wrote that. Still, I concede that it was a touch insulting. But can you objectively describe and/or criticize without insluting a little?

a. I never said that all metal is good...not sure where you got that from. In fact, I only really like a few bands that would be classified as metal (although the term metal is weirdly broad). I am praising the specific musicians that get it right, and saying that those musicians who make music for pop radio are almost never the same as those who get it right. 

I also never said the word "quality"...I said "qualities", which would be synonymous with "traits". I wouldn't really call that subjective. 

b. I don't have a link. Its just theres been a few times where someone on here has posted a thread like "Listen to this Taylor Swift song!" and I've gone in and said "here is a bunch of reasons why this song is garbage."

c. "the elitism... the superiority complex... the way they're "non-conformist", yet still similar to each other in clothes and behavior (i. e. conforming)... the close-mindedness and their adamance in denying it... their insecurity..."

Heres a piece of your OP...you may not have said "selfish" in so many words, but that is undeniably insulting

Psychotic said:

So... if I understand it correctly... you admit that there's nothing special about "hard" music outside your (their, my) head, that it's a mix of nostalgia value and "feel"?

I don't think EVERY metal head is exactly what I described, but metal heads emit that vibe as a group. I know because I used to be one of them. And when I got my sh*t together, I suddenly saw my (former) friends in a different light. And I know that this is more real than what I thought before, because impartial people seem to agree mostly.

Also, it's not elitism to say "I like this". It is elitism to point at something you like and saying it's somehow more "pure", more "athentic", more... just that liking it means you are better than someone who doesn't, even though there is no indication that it might be true except your own feeling.

Metal and punk are also just a product and they always were. It was and to some extent still in a niche product, but a product nonetheless.

Yes, my first point is that this is for a large part nostalgia and feeling, so it's just in the head of who is listening.

My second point about "authenticity" is more prone to disagreement. Even if not on purpose, it's some kind of elitism. I agree any single group is a product. There are producers, money, organization, etc to produce disks.  But, let's take one example, a group I love, Motorhead (which is indeed a product).

You know Lemmy from Motorhead, he was a road crew for the beatles in the 60's, most of his life is about music, he lived in squats and talked with Sid Vicious, he's like an encyclopedia that can talk about music, blues, rock for hours, he has a collection of rare vynils and CD, most of his friends are related to music, he started in a "indy experimental" group, was fired and started Motorhead, for which he plays a quite unique bass style, he's the main compositor for songs, and have some stubborn ideas about what he want to sounds like. He was never been really successful but still he plays the music he seems to like for 30 years.

Can you tell this is exactly the same thing than a producer that puts together 3 hot chicks that want to be stars, that makes they sing one song that some other guy produced, in a style chosen based on market analysis, and that uses a lot of money to get on the TV ? Would the producer get a result as good as Motorhead if they happened to play the same genre ? Can you say you can't feel the difference just by listening to it ? Can you say you don't feel when a group is playing outside the genre they like to get more money ? So you can say that's elitism, especially if someone is loud and stubborn about it, but I think saying "authentic" is not absurd, it something you can feel, it's something for which you can set a  personal minimum standard.

I know that nowadays a lot of people think any idea of hierarchy, authenticity, objectivity, quality is elitism, and that elitism is bad. I know by experience you can't argue with someone that feels that way. But for me it's like saying that the worst and cheapest vinegar is exactly the same thing as an expensive wine made by experts from the finest grape : everything is a product, and that's question of taste, nothing is better. I'm fine if someone prefer the vinegar I would only use to clean my toilets, like what you like. But let's be clear, I believe the expensive wine is better.

Psychotic said:
Cleary397 said:

Happened to Avenged Sevenfold, Disturbed... they reached some level of mass recognition, they were suddenly branded as "sellouts" and  "their older stuff was WAY better" and that's that, Of course not all fans left, but...

I love disturbed, I think they got better and better with each album

A7X suffered a little when M Shadows had to have surgery which prevented him from doing pretty much any aggressive vocals, and im just not that big a fan of pure clean vocals so i did stop liking their newer stuff, but not due to popularity.

Current Game Machines: 3DS, Wii U, PC.

Currently Playing: X-Com(PC), Smash Bros(WiiU), Banner Saga(PC), Guild Wars 2(PC), Project X Zone(3DS), Luigis Mansion 2(3DS), DayZ(PC)