By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - US Brawl Version Voices (Sound Test)

I hope this wasn't posted somewhere in the Brawl thread, I did some shallow searching. 

Anyway this video shows Fox, Falco, Ike, MetaKnight and Pit.  Personally, I hate them all and must ponder which is worse: Decent voice acting yet a game in a language I cannot understand or bad voice acting with English text.

The guy that posted the video confirms that you cannot choose Japanese voices in the US version on the game.

Second video featuring Pokemon Trainer, Marth, Jigglypuff, Sonic and Snake.

And now Captain Falcon's Codec

More Codecs

Part 3 of the soundtest featuring Lucario, Wolf and some more Snake:

Around the Network

I didn't think Fox was that bad... but Metaknight doesn't suit, and Pits was horrible.

Ike sounded like a voice from Star Wars.

well...metaknight suprsied me a little and thats what i expected out of pit but, that doesnt mean i like it. All the others were fine.

Switch Friend Code - 3664 - 9964 - 9777

Smash Ultimate Alias - Happy Lion

Mains: Donkey Kong, King K. Rool, Diddy Kong

ok, why do Americans who can't understand a single thing said in a Japanese game insist that the Japanese voice's are soooooooo much better than English voices?  (note, this applies to all games, not just this one as maybe the japanese use english in their voice overs)

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

pit sound like a girl

N64 is the ONLY console of the fifth generation!

bet with *no one yet* that the combined first week of Monster Hunter 3 in america and europe will be 600k or more! winner changes looser sig and avatar for two months!

Around the Network

You don't need to understand what someone is saying to think a voice better suits a character. How is that hard to understand?

I find it mind boggling that anyone that has seen MetaKnight's face from Revenge of MetaKnight could think that that deep voice suits him. It's just a cop out to me, they wanted to make him sound cool so they took the easy way out and just gave him a stupidly deep voice.

The Japanese voice actor for Ike did a fantastic job, I had no doubts that he couldn't be topped.

nordlead, why do people always have to "want" voice acting to be viewed as better when it's in their mother tongue?

I love Fox's and Falco's voice. I can't wait to hear Wolf's. Metaknight sounds like a badass. 

I'm not saying that you should always think that English voice acting is better than any other, I just constantly hear about how the English voice acting sucks and the Japanese voice acting is awesome, and the developer sucks because you can't choose the Japanese voice acting. (obvious over generalization here, but you get the point)

I personally think it sounds fine, but they could have done better on a couple voices. Generally I think all voice acting and stories in video games suck because they hire from the bottom of the barrel. Who would want to work for a video game company when they could be working for someone in Hollywood.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

See in Japan that's different, which is why you hear a lot of people praising their voice acting. The culture of the job is different over there as it is to over here IMO. I also think you'd be more respected being a VA in Japan than in America or England, but that is an assumption.

Anyway, it's not that Japanese is always better, it's that the Japanese voice actors chosen for this job were more suited to their characters than the English ones.

The voices will probably sound better with music and stuff in the background. I remember hearing Meta Knight's "Victory... is my destiny" in another video, and it sounded awesome with his victory tune. Coming out of nowhere it sounds stupid, but what did you expect?

As for the Japanese voices sounding better, it's no secret that macho cartoony crap sounds better when you don't quite understand it, and saying Japanese voice actors are generally the best is about as obvious as saying Hollywood has the best special effects anyway. Considering the amount of polish and attention to detail in Brawl, I doubt they'd mess up an important thing like this.