By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - anyone surprised by the slim week 1 sales for dragon quest swords?

yversen said:
... as an additional note... DQ Monsters: Joker sold 37000 its first week and is at 300,000 now (though it had the christmas holidays to help).

And... Joker in Japan sold 1.5 million compared to 300 thousand in N/A... DQVIII sold almost 4 million in Japan and between 5-600 thousand in N/A.... DQ Swords sold 500,000 in Japan. So they can't be expecting too much from North America as it is.

Maybe if S-E got a joint license for Dragon Ball, they could slap that on the DQ games here and they would sell better. 

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network
yversen said:
... as an additional note... DQ Monsters: Joker sold 37000 its first week and is at 300,000 now (though it had the christmas holidays to help).

And... Joker in Japan sold 1.5 million compared to 300 thousand in N/A... DQVIII sold almost 4 million in Japan and between 5-600 thousand in N/A.... DQ Swords sold 500,000 in Japan. So they can't be expecting too much from North America as it is.

Bingo. You basically summed up everything I was going to say. I don't think Brawl will play too much of a hand in DQS's success or demise. The brand just isn't that popular here, it is a spin-off, and there is little knowledge of it outside of enthusiasts. It could sell well over time, but I don't think anyone is expecting big numbers right out of the gate.

"I feel like I could take on the whole Empire myself."

I was considering buying this title, but have seen too many negative reviews... A lot of people probably felt this way..

I bought it, and I still feel it sold just about right. The DQ franchise isn't that big in the US, so it's not going to sell tons on name alone like it does in Japan. For hardcore DQ fans, the game is not bad, but it's not great either. It's a low budget, mediocre spin-off. It's good enough that I hope it has at least some legs, but it really isn't anything special.

I think the reviews were a bit harsh, and to be honest i've seen many recent games, and none have had a quarter of what this game has to offer. From that perspective it deserves more sales... Yet i'm sure its not one of DQ's better games