By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Interbrand Has Dropped Nintendo’s Brand Value By 33%

Vena said:

Ahh Interbrand, as usual way off point with their analysis.

Guitarguy said:

Mobile gaming is not going anywhere.

Its going to crash, Apple's already having crippling issues with their app marketplace and the shithole it has become. The mobile sphere is nothing more than a blind gamble right now, and completely unrelated to the quality of a product.

The brick-on-a-cord console is a dead concept, for sure but the idea of dedicated hardware certainly isn't going to die for a while yet: http://what-if.xkcd.com/31/

I really hope you are right. I personally hate touch controls and don't believe phone gaming can come close to the experiences given to us by games such as TLOU, Uncharted, Deus Ex HR, Mario, Zelda etc.

Around the Network
mZuzek said:
Guitarguy said:

Mobile gaming is not going anywhere. In fact, it is conventional console gaming that will disappear before phone gaming. Don't be surprised if consoles in their physical form are non-existent in generation 9 or 10, yet people will always need a phone on the go... Sure, true gamers mostly dislike smart phone games, but the vast majority of the world enjoy those offerings. Tens of millions of people enjoy Angry Birds just as much as you or I enjoy Uncharted/Halo/Forza/Mario/Zelda. Phone gaming is a very lucrative market and with the spiralling budgets of making a game and increased costs of physical media and distribution, I see developers turning to making smartphone games and independant AA releases on both smart phones and consoles(via download, no physical version). We have already seen high-profile developers move to smart phone development.

Wait, what? It's far from being a lucrative market. Just because there were some big success stories in stuff like Angry Birds, Fruit Ninja, etc. doesn't mean everyone that puts out games on that thing will come out with a huge profit.

Plus, these are usually one-time hits that quickly fade with time. The two games I just mentioned above were huge when they came out not long ago, and nowadays you barely see anyone playing or talking about them.

If you're gonna use just a few select hits on mobiles as an argument to claim that it's a very lucrative market, I can do the same for the traditional console market. It might seem like the gaming market is shrinking since the casuals from gens 6 and 7 are moving to mobiles, but there's still a huge gaming population around the world and it is still expanding.

Valid call, I should have said "mobile gaming CAN be very lucrative" hehe. I meant in that a game does not need to have a multi-million dollar budget and can easily make its money back and turn into profit. This is easier on phones because the general consumer is not a hardcore gamer like us and does not demand 4x Anti-Aliasing, 1080P resoluton, 60fps, particle effects etc. Many developers and studios are moving to phone development because making a AAA console game is just too risky...

I hope you are right and consoles are here to stay as I personally dislike phone gaming mainly due to the touch controls and basic gameplay.  I game on my Vita 100x more than I do on phone.

Guitarguy said:

I really hope you are right. I personally hate touch controls and don't believe phone gaming can come close to the experiences given to us by games such as TLOU, Uncharted, Deus Ex HR, Mario, Zelda etc.

You are right by saying that mobile gaming isn't going anywhere. But the bubble will pop and its not going to mark the end of dedicated gaming devices. Think, the spectacular fall of Zynga and social gaming (facebook game). Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo will need to curve the exponential growth with a spectacular product though.

mii-gamer said:
Guitarguy said:

You are right by saying that mobile gaming isn't going anywhere. But the bubble will pop and its not going to mark the end of dedicated gaming devices. Think, the spectacular fall of Zynga and social gaming (facebook game). Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo will need to curve the exponential growth with a spectacular product though.

I grew up around consoles my whole life :) Starting with the NES, there has always been various consoles around the house, I cringe about the thought of that ending :(

Robbie2010 said:
daredevil.shark said:

Nintendo continues to provide safe fun for families, but has not remained relevant to the “smart world” gamers who now demand edgier entertainment. Significant volumes of Gaming entertainment have moved away from dedicated gaming consoles and hand-held devices (like Nintendo’s DS) to all-in-one devices like smartphones and tablets. Wii U, the brand’s biggest launch for several years, has suffered from weak sales since its birth in 2012, largely attributed to the limited number of games offer, as well as market dynamics.”

So according to this firm.... nintendo is for kids and has no games.

I wish nintendo would get back to the good ol days when they provided a lot of variety in their games.

They had Rare for that. Biggest mistake in Nintendo history.

Around the Network

well i think they deserve.they put half assed consoles stupid gimmicks like friend code or Tablet Controller and their ips arent diverse at all.
if you arent interested in Platformers and some niche RPGS there is absoluly nothing to play on Nintendo Consoles while other BIG 2 company exc games more variented than Nintendo. i can play my lbp ratchet jak etc on my Sony also project spark concer kinect games etc on my XBOX but there there is also mature content as well. While nintendo just focus on Mario Donkey Kong and his friends.

Ironic headline, according to them, Ninteno's value is dropped because they dont support smartphones, yet Sony's smartphone division is leading the way to Sony's death and Microsoft laid off the most people in its history because of their absorbsion of Nokia (who is related to smartphones.)

Heh, oh well back to Smash.

They're basically saying what we already knew for the most part. No surprises there.

It'll be interesting to see what they do in the coming years, especially if they're trying to once again compete in the red ocean that is core gaming.

NNID: TheCCluc

Well at least its still in the top 100, next year looks like it will be gone. It does have the honour of having the largest drop either that dubious title belongs to NOKIA

Sony dropped? Really?

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers