By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - The Mod Team: Questions, Comments, Concerns? Ask Here!

Stickied threads are meant for either Mod Updates or long term projects that are updated consistently by the thread creator. Of course we only sticky a non-mod thread if it meets the criteria and they OP asks for permission. Like Ka-pi said, stickied threads dont appear in the Hot Topics bar so it can be detrimental to gaining participation. But that's how the cookie crumbles. @_@

Speaking of which... Kenology really hasn't been present in a while, so that Wii U NNID thread probably needs to go down.

And hopefully when the rules are updated, the mod threads will no longer be needed.

And no, I wouldn't lock a thread without posting and stating why. That would be unacceptable!

Around the Network

I'm happy threads are still locked without a reason it means ioi still visits once in a blue moon

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

kirby007 said:
I'm happy threads are still locked without a reason it means ioi still visits once in a blue moon

Well, somebody has to update the numbers...

Cone was it really necessary to lock this thread? http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=192846&page=2

The discussion wasn't at that point where it was bad where you needed to lock imo. Also, what made you and starcraft say that the thread was unnecessary? Seece made a pretty similar thread a couple days back, which had a lot of bans but the thread stayed. You guys wern't in that thread saying it was unnecessary. Considering that these are threads based on hourly amazon sales chartz...they are both equally necessary/unnecessary.

Why not do the same in Kitlers thread and ban the posters instead of locking the thread?

Also, was Kitlers permaban discussion a joke? Because it was a terrible joke. Why are you guys making jokes about permabanning a member?

I mean this type of post should not be done by a mod:http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=6810113 You are basically making multiple implications that Kitler is a Sony fanboy. Mods really need to be super careful when making posts, as you have authority and power to set the tone for thread. As a result of Starcrafts post, Cone locked a the thread.

If you are thinking im being unfairly tough on you guys thats because you are mods, and you really shouldnt be getting emotional when dealing with threads and posts. If you want to way in on a discussion then it needs to be clear that you are simply posting your opinion. I feel like you guys are being overly zealous with bans and moderations of late.

Also, why was todd2r mod history posted in this thread? Is that sort of thing public info...i always thought our mods histories were private?

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

Seece's thread was news for the current day where people approached the thread with terrible behavior. There was no opinion to stir up trouble but information gathered from the current day results.  There was nothing false or baiting in Seece's OP.  

Kittler's thread was false news (or an over-exaggeration)as Xbox was still outselling PS4 but was created to get a reaction.  KIttler's ban was certainly joking though im sure locking the thread was in discussion at that time

And no i didnt report the thread but it should have been locked much sooner.

Around the Network
Shinobi-san said:
Cone was it really necessary to lock this thread? http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=192846&page=2

The discussion wasn't at that point where it was bad where you needed to lock imo. Also, what made you and starcraft say that the thread was unnecessary? Seece made a pretty similar thread a couple days back, which had a lot of bans but the thread stayed. You guys wern't in that thread saying it was unnecessary. Considering that these are threads based on hourly amazon sales chartz...they are both equally necessary/unnecessary.

Why not do the same in Kitlers thread and ban the posters instead of locking the thread?

Also, was Kitlers permaban discussion a joke? Because it was a terrible joke. Why are you guys making jokes about permabanning a member?

I mean this type of post should not be done by a mod:http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=6810113 You are basically making multiple implications that Kitler is a Sony fanboy. Mods really need to be super careful when making posts, as you have authority and power to set the tone for thread. As a result of Starcrafts post, Cone locked a the thread.

If you are thinking im being unfairly tough on you guys thats because you are mods, and you really shouldnt be getting emotional when dealing with threads and posts. If you want to way in on a discussion then it needs to be clear that you are simply posting your opinion. I feel like you guys are being overly zealous with bans and moderations of late.

Also, why was todd2r mod history posted in this thread? Is that sort of thing public info...i always thought our mods histories were private?

Yes, yes it was needed. The difference is that; whilst both threads had "questionable" topic titles, this one also had completely needless and off-topic posting which was inappropriate, which helped the opinion on locking it. The people who needed to be informed were informed. 

In addition, the permaban discussion came about as a joke because Starcraft wanted feedback but it was during the Direct, so he didn't have much feedback. I don't think you're being too harsh, you're voicing your opinions and that's fair and if there's a way to improve them that's fine. As for the other points, that's for Star to answer not me.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Conegamer said:
Shinobi-san said:

Yes, yes it was needed. The difference is that; whilst both threads had "questionable" topic titles, this one also had completely needless and off-topic posting which was inappropriate, which helped the opinion on locking it. The people who needed to be informed were informed. 

In addition, the permaban discussion came about as a joke because Starcraft wanted feedback but it was during the Direct, so he didn't have much feedback. I don't think you're being too harsh, you're voicing your opinions and that's fair and if there's a way to improve them that's fine. As for the other points, that's for Star to answer not me.

Thats my point though. If it had needless and off topic posting then ban the posters, moderate the posts (especially if it was off topic i mean surely?? am i not making sense here?). The general discussion of the thread was fine...i cant seem to find the posts that you are talking about...which is more reason to go after the posts and not the thread. Especially if they are off topic.

My other points isnt really for Starcraft himself, but for the general mod team to comment on. I was pretty close to reporting Starcraft's post. Which would be the second time im reporting Starcraft in a matter of days....and if you follow my report history i only report when necessary.

Whats bad about the above is that its a mod posting...so it blurs the lines a bit. I also dont particularly feel comfortable even reporting a mod. That brings me to a more general problem im finding is that mods are overstepping their authority in threads and are waying in in an authoritive way on the content of topics. However im not quite ready to bring this issue to the fore as im most liking going to be asked to back up my statements, which i will do eventually.

Can you also comment on the mod history being private or public please?

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

Shinobi-san said:

Thats my point though. If it had needless and off topic posting then ban the posters, moderate the posts (especially if it was off topic i mean surely?? am i not making sense here?). The general discussion of the thread was fine...i cant seem to find the posts that you are talking about...which is more reason to go after the posts and not the thread. Especially if they are off topic.

My other points isnt really for Starcraft himself, but for the general mod team to comment on. I was pretty close to reporting Starcraft's post. Which would be the second time im reporting Starcraft in a matter of days....and if you follow my report history i only report when necessary.

Whats bad about the above is that its a mod posting...so it blurs the lines a bit. I also dont particularly feel comfortable even reporting a mod. That brings me to a more general problem im finding is that mods are overstepping their authority in threads and are waying in in an authoritive way on the content of topics. However im not quite ready to bring this issue to the fore as im most liking going to be asked to back up my statements, which i will do eventually.

Can you also comment on the mod history being private or public please?

The posts which were most troublesome were ones like this. Other users were messaged to discuss how this wasn't appropriate (making gay jokes about the mod team isn't really acceptable you know, an exception does not mean a rule) and Starcraft was also slapped for his comments. In the face. By me. Coupled with the fact that the thread was not the best ("The One's price dropped failed" being a particularly bad headline for example) it wasn't a difficult push to lock the thread.

Report the post regardless of who the user is. Mods have been banned before for poor conduct and they might well be banned again. I personally would not make such comments because I believe that being a moderator, as you said, makes you the example of other posters on the site. It's all well and good having a joke from time to time in the correct places; but it's got to be with reason. That said I don't think starcraft went over the line on this instance; just that the topic of discussion was lost too quickly.  

As for the mod history, it's private unless you wish to share it. In this case however it was to provide evidence for the action and whilst I might have just said he had previous moderations, posting the history would do as well. We can see all mod histories for every user, and it's highly influential on making our decisions on ban length and severity. So as I've said countless times before; if you see a user being banned for too long or not for long enough, that's the mod history at work 99% of the time. 

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Conegamer said:

The posts which were most troublesome were ones like this. Other users were messaged to discuss how this wasn't appropriate (making gay jokes about the mod team isn't really acceptable you know, an exception does not mean a rule) and Starcraft was also slapped for his comments. In the face. By me. Coupled with the fact that the thread was not the best ("The One's price dropped failed" being a particularly bad headline for example) it wasn't a difficult push to lock the thread.

Report the post regardless of who the user is. Mods have been banned before for poor conduct and they might well be banned again. I personally would not make such comments because I believe that being a moderator, as you said, makes you the example of other posters on the site. It's all well and good having a joke from time to time in the correct places; but it's got to be with reason. That said I don't think starcraft went over the line on this instance; just that the topic of discussion was lost too quickly.  

As for the mod history, it's private unless you wish to share it. In this case however it was to provide evidence for the action and whilst I might have just said he had previous moderations, posting the history would do as well. We can see all mod histories for every user, and it's highly influential on making our decisions on ban length and severity. So as I've said countless times before; if you see a user being banned for too long or not for long enough, that's the mod history at work 99% of the time. 

Yeah i figured you were talking about Don's comment. Which even though it was a joke, and i think everyone took as such..it was pretty raw and could be seen as disrespectful on many levels as well as prejudice. Although i dont think there was that intention behind it. Similarly Star entertained that conversation. I feel like the post should have been moderated as it stands out from the rest. Its completely off topic and came from no where, its not like Kitlers OP brought on that post in any way lol. Again though that was only one post, Don and Star pretty much crashed the thread if you look at it, as others were perfectly fine to discuss the topic at hand.

Kitler's title was certainly provocative, but the point behind the thread was a worthy topic. 1 being to point fun at using hourly sales rankings, and two to then use that data to draw conclusions, which in context is a valid discussion topic - the loss of momentum of X1 sales from hour to hour as ridiculous as that sounds its perfectly in line with Seece's thread that he created, which as a whole went down much worse. Where multiple users were banned. In Kitlers thread no1 was banned, and if someone were to be banned it would only be Don for a distasteful off topic and random joke about a gay mod orgy.

So while i do feel that based on Seece's original thread which is relevant/irrelevant depending on which way you want to see, the exact same sentiment needs to be taken with regards to Kitler's.

But besides that i feel like a more moderate approach would have been to rename the thread and moderate Don's post. I feel like the users in the thread who actually posted within the rules and the OP who really didnt do much wrong shouldnt be punished for others wrong doings. Had there been countless posts in the thread that were off topic or against the rules then locking would be ideal, even though that didnt happen in the Seece thread. So im really looking at the consistancy here and when is it necessary to lock a thread versus many bans (which in this case wouldnt even be necessary, since only 1 post was going to be moderated).

With regards to starcraft going over the line or not - the reason why i would have and should have reported was because his comment is very similar to what many others get banned for. How often dont we see someone come into a thread and make underhanded comments towards other users suggesting they are fanboys? I mean it happens everytime Kowen, Ethomaz or even Seece makes a thread. They immediately get attacked for being bias or fanboys. Starcrafts post did the exact same thing to Kitler. Three times he made reference to "your console of choice" and twice he made reference to how much the sales increase of X1 has "gotten" to Kitler. Those are some pretty obvious implications right there. And to add to that his post was off topic and derailed the thread to the point of it being locked. Thats pretty bad for a regular user and doubly bad for a mod. Just thought id explain my reasoning there as to why i felt it was over the line.

Imo i dont think Khan should have revealed the mod history just to prove to someone what he was talking about. We should probably put in some rules as to when a mod history can be revealed or not. I feel like it should be declared either as private or public and then lets stick to it. I assume theres a good reason why its not public though, so we should probably stick with that.

Anyways thanks for reading cone. Those are my thoughts on those topics. The reasons why i post about these topics is because i care a lot about the community and its growth. Perhaps i even care more about that than actually discussing gaming. Consistancy in moderations and rule enforcement is something that we need to get right in order to be a more healthy forum, and i think its one of the easier things to get right as well. This will make it clear whats against the rules and whats not, otherwise people just think you picking sides all the time.

^^^^ Err ignore the bolding my bad.