By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - The Mod Team: Questions, Comments, Concerns? Ask Here!

JayWood2010 said:

First off I want to thank everybody for the support I've received whether in public or private.  The community is truly fantastic on this website that holds everything together. 

Not only is the word being exaggerated, but the mods chose to leave Ethomaz's Megaton title on the Steeet Fighter IV PS4 Port release date.  I say chose to leave it because i reported that thread for a title change, but it remained.  That thread went on to receive 90 comments that was filled with ridicule and embarrassment for multiple things ethomaz said.

Smeags pretty much already addressed this, but as the mod that moderated I will offer my input.

Angelus came into the thread purely to assail the OP. At best it was spam, but really it was also an attempt to flame Ethomaz.

Was it a serious offense? No. Thats why Angelus got a ban that from memory lasted about 10 hours before it expired. Another in the thread got moderated for a more serious transgression and got a longer period.

As Smeags pointed out, Angelus had a recent history of doing similar things. Consistency and content certainly called for a moderation. And as a big advocate of consistency in the mod team's actions, I am sure that's something you can support Jay!

As for the use of the word Megaton? It sure is annoying - maybe we'll look at changing titles in the future. And I would welcome yourself, Angelus or any other posters reporting OPs where you feel they are inaccurate.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Around the Network
starcraft said:

Smeags pretty much already addressed this, but as the mod that moderated I will offer my input.

Angelus came into the thread purely to assail the OP. At best it was spam, but really it was also an attempt to flame Ethomaz.

Was it a serious offense? No. Thats why Angelus got a ban that from memory lasted about 10 hours before it expired. Another in the thread got moderated for a more serious transgression and got a longer period.

As Smeags pointed out, Angelus had a recent history of doing similar things. Consistency and content certainly called for a moderation. And as a big advocate of consistency in the mod team's actions, I am sure that's something you can support Jay!

As for the use of the word Megaton? It sure is annoying - maybe we'll look at changing titles in the future. And I would welcome yourself, Angelus or any other posters reporting OPs where you feel they are inaccurate.

Yeah i agree Star.

As for the whole megaton thing, I dont think its right for us to curtail anyone's excitement. I think as long as we have a proper title after the word megaton, so that people dont need to enter the thread to find out what the "megaton" is (thats basically click bait) then thats fine imo.

I'm not sure on the full story with this particular thread but i see that the title was changed (by a mod):

• MEGATON: Ultra Street Fighter 4 hits PS4 on May 26th, $24.99 (Next-gen Exclusive)

In this case theres a megaton in the title but theres also an explanation on what the megaton is, so its not necessary to enter the thread. You can read the title and determine whether or not thats a megaton for you. If theres still an issue with the current title, simply because someone is overly excited and thinks its a megaton then i dont necessarily agree with changing the title to remove the megaton part.

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

RolStoppable said:

I don't agree with that. A megaton is something that will have a notable effect on hardware sales. For example, Final Fantasy XIII going multiplatform was a megaton. An important IP that was previously multiplatform becoming outright exclusive (not timed, but outright) would be a big deal.

The above example of USF4 is not a megaton (it's like the fifth iteration of SF4) and as such, regardless of how descriptive the thread title is, it is baiting for responses. Numerous people will enter the thread to point out the obvious which in turn means that the actual topic itself will hardly be discussed. Since that isn't in the interest of the mod team, the wrongful use of the term "megaton" has to be corrected by removing the word from the thread title and original post. It doesn't matter whether the original poster thought it is a megaton. If an announcement doesn't match the commonly accepted definition of the word, then the word has no place in the thread title nor the original post (unless the thread is easily identifiable as a joke).

In the specific case of the Angelus ban, ethomaz has been a repeat offender of throwing around the word "megaton" carelessly. Three issues here: 

1. ethomaz should be told by the mod team that his thread titles have to be more descriptive.
2. Angelus merely pointed out the obvious with a tongue-in-cheek remark.
3. ethomaz himself doesn't get offended by a post like Angelus's, so there's no need to step in and protect ethomaz from "flaming".

An unwarranted moderation, but I acknowledge starcraft's conscious decision to make it a less-than-half-a-day ban.

Saying something is a megaton is baiting for a response? Thats pushing it. Especially if the title has a full explanation.

The initial title was clickbait but not the updated one. It takes a person a couple seconds to read the title and decide if he or she wants to enter the thread. If you disagree then enter the thread and say why it isn't a megaton, but dont go attacking the OP. Regardless of whether the OP feels insulted or not, its still up to us to enforce the rules.

The moderation was warranted and the punishment given was fitting.

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

RolStoppable said:

The first thing that came to my mind when reading the USF4 title is "that's not a megaton" and false premises tend to trigger responses or at least the desire to open the thread and read the responses; the reason why I didn't respond is because other people had already stated the obvious long before I got to the end of the thread, so I stopped reading and went back to the hot topics. Remove the "megaton" part from the thread title and it's a meh thread that gets glossed over.

Angelus's response was tongue in cheek. That's still true. Don't take this as a request to adjust his moderation history, I am just saying how it is.

EDIT: The most obvious proof that "megaton" is clickbait are the two discussed threads themselves.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=201536
http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=202074

The first one got to keep its title and more than a dozen of users replied directly to the word "megaton". The second one got edited and died quickly as a result.

Also interesting about the second thread is this post. So that's the main motivation for Angelus's moderation, because it's hard to justify moderating the latter without moderating the former. Apologies that I didn't look at this case more in-depth before commenting.

EDIT2: I have to add that it's unclear if the second post is indeed flaming. Since Angelus refers to himself as dick, it could be a tongue in cheek response. I don't know how these two posters get along with.

It seems as though you are talking about "megaton" in general now. In my initial post I said that if the word "Megaton" is in the title but also has a description in the title then I dont think we as moderators should remove it.

Looking at the second thread you have linked, "Sony to MEGATON on May 13th", that can be regarded as clickbait as you actually need to *click* to get the full picture. And to make it worse the OP isnt even clear as to what will be unveiled etc. That is a false premise.

However, in the first thread, everything is in the title. If it annoys you that someone thinks a piece of news is a megaton but you dont agree then go into the thread and debate it, or ignore it. But i dont believe it should be within our power as moderators to dictate what some people believe is a megaton or not. There will be cases where the thread author is blatantly trolling, in which case it would be moderated as such, but not simply because it has the word megaton in the title and its questionable whether or not that piece of news is in fact a megaton.

Shinobi-san said:
RolStoppable said:

I don't agree with that. A megaton is something that will have a notable effect on hardware sales. For example, Final Fantasy XIII going multiplatform was a megaton. An important IP that was previously multiplatform becoming outright exclusive (not timed, but outright) would be a big deal.

The above example of USF4 is not a megaton (it's like the fifth iteration of SF4) and as such, regardless of how descriptive the thread title is, it is baiting for responses. Numerous people will enter the thread to point out the obvious which in turn means that the actual topic itself will hardly be discussed. Since that isn't in the interest of the mod team, the wrongful use of the term "megaton" has to be corrected by removing the word from the thread title and original post. It doesn't matter whether the original poster thought it is a megaton. If an announcement doesn't match the commonly accepted definition of the word, then the word has no place in the thread title nor the original post (unless the thread is easily identifiable as a joke).

In the specific case of the Angelus ban, ethomaz has been a repeat offender of throwing around the word "megaton" carelessly. Three issues here: 

1. ethomaz should be told by the mod team that his thread titles have to be more descriptive.
2. Angelus merely pointed out the obvious with a tongue-in-cheek remark.
3. ethomaz himself doesn't get offended by a post like Angelus's, so there's no need to step in and protect ethomaz from "flaming".

An unwarranted moderation, but I acknowledge starcraft's conscious decision to make it a less-than-half-a-day ban.

Saying something is a megaton is baiting for a response? Thats pushing it. Especially if the title has a full explanation.

The initial title was clickbait but not the updated one. It takes a person a couple seconds to read the title and decide if he or she wants to enter the thread. If you disagree then enter the thread and say why it isn't a megaton, but dont go attacking the OP. Regardless of whether the OP feels insulted or not, its still up to us to enforce the rules.

The moderation was warranted and the punishment given was fitting.

Well... If you are happy with threads being about the use of the word megaton it is fine to leave in there... Even after the title was changed, most people still entered the thread to talk about how it was a poor use of the word... Including myself!

anyway, megaton announcements are generally something with weight, keeping megaton in the title of a normal announcement will just cause the topic to go off topic.  We have seen this many times on this forum.  It would not be hard for the mods teams to adjust the title of the thread while preserving the intended excitement of the thread creator.  Replacing megaton with exciting or hyped for example.  It would solve a lot of problems. 

also, it seems pretty obvious to me that if most of the posters are coming into the thread to comment on the thread title and not the actual news that the title is in fact click bait... Don't you think?

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Shinobi-san said:

It seems as though you are talking about "megaton" in general now. In my initial post I said that if the word "Megaton" is in the title but also has a description in the title then I dont think we as moderators should remove it.

Looking at the second thread you have linked, "Sony to MEGATON on May 13th", that can be regarded as clickbait as you actually need to *click* to get the full picture. And to make it worse the OP isnt even clear as to what will be unveiled etc. That is a false premise.

However, in the first thread, everything is in the title. If it annoys you that someone thinks a piece of news is a megaton but you dont agree then go into the thread and debate it, or ignore it. But i dont believe it should be within our power as moderators to dictate what some people believe is a megaton or not. There will be cases where the thread author is blatantly trolling, in which case it would be moderated as such, but not simply because it has the word megaton in the title and its questionable whether or not that piece of news is in fact a megaton.

Well, in the first thread there is a lot of discussion regarding the title itself, rather than the actual topic. Calling something that it isn't is also a false premise. For example, a headline like "Scam: Company X charges for DLC in game Y" is descriptive, but what is described isn't scam (it's irrelevant if the OP believes that all DLC is scam); consequently, most of the discussion in the thread will be about the title being rubbish and potentially leads to attacks directed at the OP. The story of the first thread is also that Carl was being nice: 

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=7227319

This is from the second thread, and unless Slade6Alpha is exaggerating or lying, the mods have already actively cracked down on ethomaz's use of the word "megaton". It is in the mod team's powers to correct thread titles in order to make discussions focused on the actual topic instead of the meaning of a word. This isn't oppression of the beliefs of others, it's good form.

As they should. If the thread title is clickbait then it absolutely should be changed. Like i said i agree with the second thread title being changed, it was clickbait and theres nothing to back up the "megaton" claim in the OP.

In the first thread, the title is descriptive enough for the thread not to be clickbait. Since you do not have to click on the thread to know what the news is. This is my point.

If people still decide to focus solely on the use of the word "Megaton" and its questionable as to whether or not the news is a megaton or not, then thats their decision to do so. In this case i can agree that the news was not a megaton, but what if the next example isnt so clear cut?  Who determines that its a megaton or not? Its just a word imo and people should not overeact to it.

gergroy said:

Well... If you are happy with threads being about the use of the word megaton it is fine to leave in there... Even after the title was changed, most people still entered the thread to talk about how it was a poor use of the word... Including myself!

anyway, megaton announcements are generally something with weight, keeping megaton in the title of a normal announcement will just cause the topic to go off topic.  We have seen this many times on this forum.  It would not be hard for the mods teams to adjust the title of the thread while preserving the intended excitement of the thread creator.  Replacing megaton with exciting or hyped for example.  It would solve a lot of problems. 

also, it seems pretty obvious to me that if most of the posters are coming into the thread to comment on the thread title and not the actual news that the title is in fact click bait... Don't you think?

It's not about what I'm happy about. I just dont see how the first threads title (as it currently is) breaks any rules or is clickbait. Ethomaz can write his OP in any number of ways, using buzz words as you metioned like HYPE etc. and using capitals, exclamation marks etc...and if theres not enough description in the title then it can still be misleading or clickbait and should be changed. 

If people are simply sensitive to the word "megaton", even if theres a descriptive title, then i cant agree to moderate for that reason alone. Keeping in mind that context is key. I am talking specifically about this thread title as it currently is.

Ethomaz chose to have the word megaton in there, maybe he believes its big news. If people decided to call him out on that then thats fair game imo. Ultimately that discussion should still be about the importance of that piece of news or announcement.

Edit: and just to be clear you dont need to flame someone to call them out, which seems to be a common misunderstanding on our forums. :)

you're all megatons in my book

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

Fusioncode said:
you're all megatons in my book

You should be reported and moderated, because my interests differ and I don't think they're magatons.

This post will be about me, making a proper argument as to why I do not have double standerds, do not favour any of the users disscused above over another and why I my beliefs regarding China are only there for a minor part of the Chinese society. I have thought about this for over a day know.

Let's start with your first post about me "....that no matter how true it is, it's not allowed to call a spade a spade...". In my original post I only refered to a user as not being allowed to call a spade a spade ( or in that case a troll a troll ), I am though not against a person being told that he is a troll or was trolling in a ban note. This is because their is enough evidance so that the mods can make a proper choice on banning or waning that person for being a troll. Therefore your first comment has already proved incorrect.

If indeed that person has made a comment which I strongly agree with ( as in this case ) then yes I will fight for them, if I see that he had been moderated unjustly. In other cases I felt that moderations given by the mod team were always just and therefore I never interefered. This can also be seen in my first comment in my first comment relating to her ban.

Onto your third comment about my beliefs about China. My beliefs regarding China, though are also backed up by history, fortunaley. Whether or not a Chinese citezen may be proud of his goverment, I still have every right to speak lowly about the Chinese goverment ( as at the end of the day the orignal comment by Tackihoma was referring to ) since as history has shown cencorship is a bad and horrible thing and at the end of the day is a violation of human rights ( don't think it is but it sure feels like it ). This is like saying that since a Libian and a North Korean  thinks great things about the goverment we can not think lowly about their goverment even though as history has shown they are corrupted.

Send a Friend Request On PSN :P