By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why Zelda and Sheik Are Different Characters In Super Smash Bros. For 3DS

Why Zelda and Sheik Are Different Characters In Super Smash Bros. For 3DS

By Sato . October 1, 2014 . 3:12am

Unlike the past installments of the series in Melee and Brawl, Zelda and Sheik are their own characters in Super Smash Bros. for 3DS, rather than players being able to transform between the two. In this week’s issue of Famitsu magazine, director Masahiro Sakurai explained why this is the case. [Thanks, Hachima.]

“It’s basically due to the 3DS’ limitations,” said Sakurai, when asked why Zelda and Sheik, and Samus and Zerosuit Samus, are different characters. “It was impossible to have both characters exist together [as one] on 3DS.”

He continued, “However, reaching that limit can sometimes lead in good directions. Transforming characters had the drawback of ambiguous tactics and such, and I believe that they have become more fresh now.”

When asked about why Super Smash Bros. for 3DS will be compatible with the the New Nintnedo 3DS’ C-Stick but not the regular 3DS’ Circle Pad Pro, he explained that this was due to CPU limitations on the 3DS, but with the higher capabilities on the New Nintendo 3DS, it isn’t an issue.

One fan provided feedback, saying that their connection has been pretty laggy during online fights in Japan.

“It varies according to your connection,” responded Sakurai. “When the controls lag, to put it simply, it’s an issue with the connecttion speed. If you notice it lagging at all times, then there’s a high chance that there’s a problem with your connection.”

Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS will release in North America and Europe on October 3, 2014.

would you rather have a 3ds version or not have these changes?

Around the Network

Sometimes limitations are a good thing!

forest-spirit said:

And way more often they're not likely no ice climbers, although most of you guys hates them I grew to love these Eskimo's

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

While the idea of transforming is quite cool I would rather have a fully fleshed out character balanced on one complete moveset instead of two and possibly diluting the character as a whole

Qwark said:
forest-spirit said:

And way more often they're not likely no ice climbers, although most of you guys hates them I grew to love these Eskimo's

I loved the ice climbers it was one of my favorite nintendo arcade games and early NES games.  The multiplayer was really fun

Around the Network

This is why power in consoles are important sometimes, it breaks the limitations for the designers, this time was a good choice though.

I know... my English sucks.

I WANTED ALL CHARACTERS SEPERATE AND NOW I HAVE THEM SEPERATE!!!!

=D I love you 3DS! Then again IceClimbers are gone....but.......oh well. I'm over them and they will return next gen.

Man, is it me or has like every interview with Sakurai for the past few weeks has been about limitations? Like jeez, if it really is this limited, they should have gone for power and not 3d

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

this actually erks me a little bit. I have no interest in ever getting a 3ds or any handheld really. The fact a completly different system is dictating desisions for a game on a system i have is unnerving.

I hope this remains a permanent change in the Smash series.

For a fighting game like Smash, I think it makes more sense for a character to be independent, without any alternate forms (excluding final smashes).

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."