By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Middle-Earth: Shadow Of Mordor Reviews. Surprise Of This Generation So Far?

michael_stutzer said:
zumnupy10 said:
michael_stutzer said:
zumnupy10 said:

One thing that dissapoints me about Tolkien movies and games, is the fact there are only games set in the third age of the books. Why there are no Silmarillion games ?

Because the number of people who read that is a tiny fraction of the people who read the trilogy and/or watched the movies.

Reviews are looking very good. I haven't checked the game videos etc. yet, so I'll do a research. It was a long time since the last decent LOTR game.

I agree, but it's not like most people who watch/play Tolkien actually read any of the books at all.   It's a shame really, The Silmarillion is amazing.

Yeah but at least they know the universe and characters from the films. The Silmarillion would be like a new IP to most :).

I actually read the Silmarillion at the age of 12 or 13, before the Hobbit and the  LOTR trilogy so I don't remember much but; wasn't it a combination of various stories from various places in the universe? Stories of the gods and the Sauron, the creation of earth, the stories of individual characters and so on? I don't think it is the best material for a game.

You are right, The silmarillion is exactly like you described.

Some pieces of it would be great movies or games.   Specially the Tales of Beren and Luthiel and The sons of Hurin.

Around the Network

From the gameplay I've seen, it looks like an AC clone.

I am keeping my expectations as low as possible. A task increasingly difficult with two weeks to release and articles like this. I'm sure it will be fine. Not spectacular or mind-blowing. All pre-ordered and paid for. I was initially pissed when DA:I got pushed to Nov. 18th. Now things are looking rosy with six weeks uninterruped.

Condemned and FEAR were at least solid maybe even great games but I'm a little surprised Monolith have made the switch to an open world, or at least large sandbox and to third-person view look easy.

'Shadows' will be considerably better than WitN which was easily the best LotR game I've played. Some pretty enjoyable MP moments with Conquest but the SP was just awful really, Third Age had atmosphere, decent characters and visuals for the time but the turn-based combat got old fast. Never played the Guardian series and the three games on Xbox were linear and dated by the time I tried them.

Unlike some here I understand my experience is very limited. Glance at this and you'll have an idea why PC gamers always seem so skeptical and a little bored with it all.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middle-earth_in_video_games

Thanks for the thread GG and it does look like 'SOM2' is a sleeper on the scale of RDR last gen. So far. Or maybe more on Darksiders level for me. A very pleasant surprise.

Now no offense but I am outa here.

Not surprised, it looked awesome from day one.

BraLoD said:
Did they changed the movements they copied from Assassins Creed? They really lost my interest with that. If you can't even create the movements of your characters you show me how much little effort you seem to be putting in what you are doing, and I really don't like it.

do you think it's likely that they put little effort into the movements and still got such great scores? I'd check a gameplay video if I were you.

Around the Network

Don't really see how it's a surprise. The game has looked really good every time they've shown it and the scores so far are about what I expected.

I'd say Destiny is the surprise of the generation so far. And not in a positive way

Definitely a surprise to me, a pleasant one. Didn't put this game even on my maybe list, as I thought it will be some poor Assassin's Creed clone. But after reading about it, it's a game that I certainly will play, probably next summer.

after being disappointed with what I saw with Aliens at EGX yesterday, this and Farcry are at the top of my list of day 1's now.

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

have it ordered but only because i like a bit of the lotr world

Above & Beyond

The game had nothing but positive previews calling it all that is right with Ascreed in LOTR universe.