By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Scotland: NO to Independence. 55.3% NO, 44.7% YES. Salmond resigns, woo hoo!

I am from the US but I was very happy to see the people of Scotland choose to remain with UK.

The UK is a great country and I have a hard time picturing Scotland on its own contributing the way it does as a part of the UK.

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

Around the Network
the2real4mafol said:
kumagawa said:
I hate this! They want more independence powers but won't take full independence as long as they can milk the English taxpayer.

I don't get why people assume this. Apart from free university, how are they supposedly milking us English people? 

Free prescription's, free optician's, free dental all on NHS plus Scotland has a higher per person percentage of tax spent on them.

kumagawa said:
the2real4mafol said:
kumagawa said:
I hate this! They want more independence powers but won't take full independence as long as they can milk the English taxpayer.

I don't get why people assume this. Apart from free university, how are they supposedly milking us English people? 

Free prescription's, free optician's, free dental all on NHS plus Scotland has a higher per person percentage of tax spent on them.

Yeah it ain't fair but i wouldn't respond by getting rid of it. I would introduce this stuff to the rest of Britain like there used to be. Also considering the English get £8700 per person, the fact Scots get all this extra stuff for £10000 surely means they get far better value from what they pay in tax. 

End the tax evasion that the rich and big business currently do and stuff like this is no problem. As there is more money to balance it out 

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

I knew they wouldn't leave

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Ultimately for the best.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network
Mr Khan said:
Ultimately for the best.

Question: Have you considered locking this thread?

Ka-pi96 said:

Really? You got a source for that?

Because the Scottish Government website says they DO have to pay to study in the rest of the UK.
'Eligible Scottish domiciled students wishing to study outwith Scotland, at an institution elsewhere in the UK, are entitled to a non- income-assessed loan of up to £9,000 a year towards the cost of their tuition fees.'

So... basically the same as what happens to English, Welsh and Northern Irish students...

http://scotland.gov.uk/Topics/Education/UniversitiesColleges/16640/financial-help

No, I don't because I'm wrong. Apologies, I said this based on what I was informed a few years back by a Scottish friend, but then then it may have been in the form of more support or cancelling debts so they only have to pay a certain amount back or something. Consider me corrected.

Hmm, pie.

kumagawa said:

Before you sound like an idiot, do you fact checking. Scotlad is a very productive nation. Being a part of the UK is mutually benefitial for England and Scotland. 

okr said:
Mr Khan said:
Ultimately for the best.

Question: Have you considered locking this thread?

I wouldn't see the need. Some gloating on the OP's part, but nothing out of line even for a political piece.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

shikamaru317 said:
Dang, that's still a pretty large amount who wanted to be independent.

It is, Salmond has caused a rifted in my view and Scotland has to recover from it. The rest of the UK had to acknowledge the fact that 45% of all Scots don't want to be part of our Union for whatever reason (financial or emotional).

However, Salmond has left and Scotland will only get stronger from it, new SNP leadership that is focused on supporting the nation as a whole with Scotland interest instead of focusing on Scotland and only Scotland can only be a benefit (as in I doubt they will have another referendum any time soon).

Hmm, pie.