By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Bruce Rauner wants to end minimum wage in illinois. Don't vote for this guy!

CDiablo said:
Im no economist but wouldn't lowering the minimum wage just result in the poor getting really, really screwed over.

I've worked in IT for about 10 years and have received exactly 1 pay cut to my wages and never any raises despite how well the company is doing. Every year benefits get worse. Every year cost of living goes up. Now I do have the option to switch jobs, but with each tier of job I get to there is typically less of that job available. Im ok because I make decent money well over minimum.

For companies paying low wages, entry jobs, fast food, janitorial, ect what reason should they pay more than the absolute minimum for people to live in absolute poverty? Yes managers will make more but the grunts will work because they dont want to turn to crime and do not want to starve. Crime will likely rise but as long as it does not effect the bottom line of the low wage job suppliers have no incentive to pay more than the absolute minimum they can to get desperate workers to do their work. I dont understand how having no minimum wage helps anyone other than the already wealthy.

per thranx's post, it nominally creates more job opportunities to help people get out of poverty. The problem is that it creates jobs that are not worth having (especially since prices are not really heavily impacted by the minimum wage, so you wouldn't see overall price-level decreases to match, just as minimum wage hikes don't really impact prices heavily either), so it is ultimately just an exercise in cutting business costs without really improving much for anyone else.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network
CDiablo said:
Im no economist but wouldn't lowering the minimum wage just result in the poor getting really, really screwed over.

I've worked in IT for about 10 years and have received exactly 1 pay cut to my wages and never any raises despite how well the company is doing. Every year benefits get worse. Every year cost of living goes up. Now I do have the option to switch jobs, but with each tier of job I get to there is typically less of that job available. Im ok because I make decent money well over minimum.

For companies paying low wages, entry jobs, fast food, janitorial, ect what reason should they pay more than the absolute minimum for people to live in absolute poverty? Yes managers will make more but the grunts will work because they dont want to turn to crime and do not want to starve. Crime will likely rise but as long as it does not effect the bottom line of the low wage job suppliers have no incentive to pay more than the absolute minimum they can to get desperate workers to do their work. I dont understand how having no minimum wage helps anyone other than the already wealthy.

Its worth it to keep hard working trained people. many fast food places and restaurants have people that make more than minimun wage. the problem is you cant hire and train at high wages, for every one spot i have open at the restaurant i usually hire 3 people knowing that 2 will not work out for some reason or another. Its hard to pay for all of that. But 6 months to a year in, its worth it to pay people more, they know their stuff, they are more of an asset to the company, and you wouldn't want to loose them.

For the bolded, welcome to the new america. Its like that for everybody, not just you. We have not and will not recover from the last recesions. We aren't the top dog any more. With China and India growing in importance, and us fading, that is what will happen. We have created an enviroment in which its better to business elseware than here. Too much regulation on everything.

thranx said:

Its worth it to keep hard working trained people. many fast food places and restaurants have people that make more than minimun wage. the problem is you cant hire and train at high wages, for every one spot i have open at the restaurant i usually hire 3 people knowing that 2 will not work out for some reason or another. Its hard to pay for all of that. But 6 months to a year in, its worth it to pay people more, they know their stuff, they are more of an asset to the company, and you wouldn't want to loose them.

So just to clarify this for myself. In your situation(+ without minimum wage) you would hire 3 at a super low entry wage and once the cream rises you pay that person a good wage(but obviously not equal to the total of the 3). Am I following this right?

Getting an XBOX One for me is like being in a bad relationship but staying together because we have kids. XBone we have 20000+ achievement points, 2+ years of XBL Gold and 20000+ MS points. I think its best we stay together if only for the MS points.

Nintendo Treehouse is what happens when a publisher is confident and proud of its games and doesn't need to show CGI lies for five minutes.

-Jim Sterling

You gotta admit he kinda saved the day when he became the Hulk at the end of Marvel's Avengers.

MARCUSDJACKSON said:
HBninjaX said:

Why? Wage laws are stupid. Why should a bunch of corrupt politicians decide what private business owners should pay? Let the market decide. Switzerland has no wage laws and they have a low 2.3% unemployment rate.

If a job pays too low go work somewhere else.  No one is forcing you to work there.  In fact if another job is paying more then they'll attract more workers than the place that is paying less

yea....no.

i know most americans (including myself) aren't even close to making the cost of living, so the idea is stupid. the upside in my situation is i almost make 1.25 more than minimum wage (lowes) but i see somewhere between 8-15 hr's.

Many Americans aren't making the cost of living because they lack the effort to try. The effort to show their worth. Instead they think getting a piece of paper combined with a job history of flipping burger patties will get them hired instantly. Ignorance is far to prevalent.

Around the Network
HBninjaX said:

Why? Wage laws are stupid. Why should a bunch of corrupt politicians decide what private business owners should pay? Let the market decide. Switzerland has no wage laws and they have a low 2.3% unemployment rate.

If a job pays too low go work somewhere else.  No one is forcing you to work there.  In fact if another job is paying more then they'll attract more workers than the place that is paying less

Switzerland has among the biggest average wages in the world. That's a proof that high wages is not a cause of unemployement. Which makes minimum wages a good thing. Bad example.

Edit : Even afghanistan and china have minimum wages. I'm sure illinois people don't want to have less social policy than afghanistan and china.

CDiablo said:
thranx said:

So just to clarify this for myself. In your situation(+ without minimum wage) you would hire 3 at a super low entry wage and once the cream rises you pay that person a good wage(but obviously not equal to the total of the 3). Am I following this right?

Yes. And the 2 that dont make it will have a better chance at their next job from the experience.

Edit: And if all 3 are good workers, we would try and keep all 3 . good help is hard to find

errorpwns said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
HBninjaX said:

yea....no.

i know most americans (including myself) aren't even close to making the cost of living, so the idea is stupid. the upside in my situation is i almost make 1.25 more than minimum wage (lowes) but i see somewhere between 8-15 hr's.

Many Americans aren't making the cost of living because they lack the effort to try. The effort to show their worth. Instead they think getting a piece of paper combined with a job history of flipping burger patties will get them hired instantly. Ignorance is far to prevalent.

lolno.

There are more job seekers than job openings still, although the economy improves, and that's setting aside the masses who stopped looking for work at all in the depths of the recession. If everyone could magically teleport to where the job openings in their respective fields are (filling the unemployment caused by geographic barriers), there would still be plenty of people out of work.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Mr Khan said:
errorpwns said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
HBninjaX said:

yea....no.

lolno.

There are more job seekers than job openings still, although the economy improves, and that's setting aside the masses who stopped looking for work at all in the depths of the recession. If everyone could magically teleport to where the job openings in their respective fields are (filling the unemployment caused by geographic barriers), there would still be plenty of people out of work.

what improvement? they miss use studentloans, thats all.  the us economy is done, since the 2 big partys gave up on inteligent politics after the worst presidents of all time (ronald mcdonald reagan).  its all bubles after that.

thranx said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
MTZehvor said:

It's certainly possible, but the flip side of that is that companies may also offer more jobs with lower pay than they would otherwise. Trying to tell the free market that its prices (based on supply and demand) are incorrect is dangerous, because then you rob people of some (admittedly lower paying) opportunities that they could then use as a stepping stone to a better job.

on the fence

well let me give you some real world examples. I work at a restaurant, every time minimun wage goes up, so does the age of our employees, and their skill level. To achieve that I have to let go the worst workers, not because they are bad people, not because they wouldn't someday be able to do the job, but they aren't fast enough to make them worth keeping at $9 an hour. I just let three people go, and their hours will be split between the other workers or gone all together. Those 3 people now lost their chance for free on th job training, and work experience. Had I not been able to find faster people we would have looked at more automation (replace workers with equiptemnt). Minimun wage hurts the least skilled workers the most. Not to mention (dosn't effect us since we smaller business) but with Obamacare and other regulations in place its not worth it to work employees over 25/30 hrs a week, than a new set of regulation kicks in and ech employee costs more. the end result, most fast food/restaurant workers have two job to get 40 hrs. I would love to work people more hours, and they want to work them, but we cant pay $14.50 an hour for basic work (time and a half for over time). Over regulation is killing the creation of business and jobs.

well thanks but i didn't need the examples, i'm a business major. going back to school asap so i can fimish. big sis got me bitting the bug to finish.

well i don't have to tell you how right you are because it's decisions you have to make every day.

i was home last wk for 5 days working 2 days for 8 hr.'s, so i know what you're talking bout. my job let go of more experianced people, who likely get paid a great deal.

they just cut another 160 hr's, and my dept gets only 100 hr's, with 3 (you can guse who 1 of them is) part time people, and 4 full time.

honestly, i'm not sure either, are useful solutions, with all the red tape. you called them regulations.