By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Scotland to leave the UK?

Should Scotland leave the union? If yes or no please say why.

Yes 152 43.80%

No 143 41.21%

It does not matter 26 7.49%

I dont understand 26 7.49%

Total:347
PartySeatsGainLossNetVotes%+/-%
Labour 41 0 0 0 1,035,528 42.0 +2.5
Liberal Democrat 11 0 0 0 465,471 18.9 -3.7
Scottish National Party 6 0 0 0 491,386 19.9 +2.3
Conservative 1 0 0 0 412,855 16.7 +0.9

2010 UK election results in Scotland.

35% of the Scottish electorate voted for Conservative or Lib Dem.

The difference between SNP voters and Con voters is 80,000. Less than 2% swing needed for Con to outvote SNP.

How the Scots have the cheek to complain about Thatcher and the evil Tories baffles me. The English had to put up with Tony Blair and Gordon-the illegitimate bastard-Brown and the rest of the Scottish Raj that dominated English and UK politics. They never once brought up the fact that MPs for Scots constituency have no right to determine English policy let alone be Prime Minister. Fair play to the Conservatives for trying to keep the country together by not forcing the matter and fair play to the SNP MPs who refused to vote on English affairs. Labour are such self-serving scumbags.

The Union is finished. It ended when Scotland got her Parliament back. That's what the Union was/is, the English and Scottish Parliaments uniting. It's a federal system or nothing now.

English votes on English laws is a stupid idea. The English (likely Con) "First Minister" is going to block everything a UK (Lab) Gov tries to impose. Utter shambles. Just pull the plug already.

Scotland can be very successful. They have vast natural resources and talent. Unfortunately they like to vote for communists, so it will probably get pissed away. I think the Scots will vote No this time but once the oldies die off it will be a Yes. Give it 20 years, that should be enough time for the English fracking industry to establish itself. Oil, lol.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Around the Network
trashleg said:

My mum is English, but has lived in Scotland for more than half her life. And you're right, any legal immigrants also have a vote. I don't remember if I said so already, but 97% of thsoe eligible to vote have registered to do so. 

I don't think this is a "temporary" problem. Only twice since the last world war has Scotland's vote in the general election had any effect on the results. It kind of feels like we're allowed to help out in the garden, but we've been given a teaspoon next to England's shovel. 

I agree that we've had some really good strengths together, but then I've never known any different - and neither have you. 1/4 million children in Scotland live below the poverty line, food banks are exploding exponentially. Can you blame people for wanting to take this chance to opt out?

(Personally, I didn't even consider myself British until very very recently). I've always identified as Scottish, it wasn't until a few years ago I realised that being "British" wasn't only something English people could be proud of, because that's how foreign TV always works (Watch any episode of any American TV show, "British" always refers to an English character and us Scots are described as, well, Scots... Growing up with that made it kind of difficult to automatically associate with that identity). 

It isn't the particular party that irks me, personally. It's the entire system. And yes, I would MUCH prefer a more EU-type forum with more grounded delegates.

People always go on about how the British political system is so good because it's so established. But that's just ridiculous - just because it's old, doesn't mean it's fit for purpose. It's archaic and elitist and it needs to go. We need to remove ourselves from it, one way or another. And I'm not just speaking as a Scot. That last statement applies to all us Brits.

The same could be said for inner cities, surely? (And York) The last election results all major inner cities were pretty much Labour or Lib Dems. Yet even then with places of such high desensity and population it's not enough to outweigh the amount of country side seats (and here I am, a farm kid voting Labour.... maybe there is something wrong with me).

Is poverty in Scotland because of the Union? According to stats, 1 in 6 children in the UK are below the poverty line, this is a UK wide issue. But I understand the idea of wanting to get out. It's why I understand those who think electing UKIP to get out of the EU is a good idea, even if they don't understand it.

Maybe a good polical system is based on our 4 nations, each nation has it's own Parliament each with and individual leader. The big decisions on international related things or new laws that affect the nation is done by a vote of those 4 representative after it's gone through the 4 parliaments. it has to get majority 3 out of 4 to pass a decision (like going to war). While other laws about tax, NHS funding etc are all done based in the regional parliaments. Even then larger funding or say international aid/budget could be done by again 4 representatives, 1 from each parliament, not just 1 guy who sometimes doesn't even have a GCSE in Ecomonics.

Hmm, pie.

kowenicki said:

no problem... 

What I mean by getting my independence back pretty much relates to the West Lothian question.

Its an anomoly of parliament that simply isnt acceptable imo.  

I (and I suspect most of Scotland) agree that the West Lothian question is unfair on the rest of the UK.

You may be interested to know,

“SNP MPs already refrain from voting on exclusively English, Welsh and Northern Irish matters, which do not impact on Scotland. This self-denying ordinance stands in stark contrast to Labour, Lib Dem and Tory MPs who, to date, have been happy to impose their will on the other nations of the UK." Pete Wishart MP 17/01/2012

Voting has finished!

Asriel said:

(...)

This independence referendum is a result of a centralised, out-of-touch government underestimating just how centralised and out-of-touch Westminster rule is becoming. Up until the last week or two, nobody in Westminster took the possibility of Scottish independence seriously. If Cameron had half a brain, he'd have offered the Scottish people a "devo-max" (basically handing all powers except defence and foreign affairs to the Scottish Parliament) option at the ballot box, and the Union would have walked the election easily, by reforming itself. Instead Cameron attempted to preserve the status quo with a Yes/No vote he and the rest of his government assumed wouldn't come close to being lost. In doing so they've walked into Salmond's trap. Whatever happens now, you can't put the lid pack on the box. Several million Scots look set to vote for independence, and the entirety of Scotland is more politically active and energised than it has been for generations. Is that energy going to dissipate overnight, or even in the months ahead, with a UK wide general election on the horizon? How will Wales, Northern Ireland, and the English regions feel if Scotland either gains independence, or if Scotland has more power devolved? Is the rest of the UK going to accept that? I doubt it, and I hope not.
(...)

Thanks mate, very interesting, particularly that part.

trashleg said:
DanneSandin said:
Anyways, anyone wanna explain fast and simple why the Scots wanna be independent all of a (not so) sudden?

(...)

Hey, I really wanted to know your take on this. But, couldn't understand half of the video XD

Also, thanks to hapimeses.

Around the Network
Metrium said:
If I lived in a country that still acts like if this was the 17th century where it's ok to be ruled by queens, dukes and princes, I would certainly want to leave.

^This pretty much sums up the ignorance of most of the people saying things about a region they don't understand.  People just yell "FREEDOM" and assume that it is always better to be independent.  

I have studied the history of England, Scotland, and their relationship to each other quite a bit.  The fact is that the Union of 1707 was MASSIVELY benificial to Scotland and ushered in the their golden age.  Scotland has a ton of resources, but not a lot of financial or bureaucratic infrastructure.  A union with England balances and benifits BOTH regions.

I understand that Scotland is now a different place than it was 300 years ago, and that the liberal Scottish are tired of being anchored down by the conservitives in England.  Still, I really think people are letting there emotions get in the way of their logical thinking. 

The Fury said:
DanneSandin said:
Anyways, anyone wanna explain fast and simple why the Scots wanna be independent all of a (not so) sudden?

FREEDOM!!

... seriously, as a British citizen, no idea. 

LOL this is exactly why.  Sure you can talk about politics and natural resources, but in reality most people in support of "Yes" are doing so out of a purily emotional apeal.  That's never lead to any mistakes before...

JazzB1987 said:
binary solo said:
JazzB1987 said:
Serious_frusting said:

Its a real hot debate. If you have been keeping track the polls are showing it can swing one way or the other. If Scotland do vote to leave the union then the UK is going to lose like 7 million or so people. I have always seen the welsh, scotish and english culture as one. I mean the royal fam have scottish roots afterall.

I am just wondering what others are thinking about this vote.

I think it is wrong that scotch people who live in England have no vote about it. I would like to here anyones opinion on this.

Well the royal Family is  Saxony-Coburg-Gotha. Windsor is just the name of their mansion.  Which makes them basically German. I want to see you explain the british that they are Germans :)

TBH I would like to see Scotland be independent. Will certainly shake things up a bit about  "this is territory of country X"   "A belongs to B" etc etc.  I mean if politicians ignore the will of a "minority" then that minority should be allowed to be independent etc.

What a strange and ridiculous notion, in this context. If 49.9% of Scots vote for independence and 50.1% vote to stay with the union how would you propose to give that large minority independence? They will be scattered throughout Scotland, so would you round them all up and plonk them into Glasgow and make this an independent enclave, and have all Glaswegians who voted to stay in the Union move somewhere else?

This is about a group of people  49% of scots are still scots asking every single individual will make things way to complicated. And I was talking about a minority in the sense of ethnicity/race/group  "not just less people". People should decide what group of people they want to be identified with as long as they DO have a connection with that group.

THAT SAID THO if you as an individual dont want to be part of your country you should be allowed to be independent. You have to accept all the disadvantages tho. Like border checkpoints all around your property, paying to use the other countries roads and needing a Visa or whatever. If you accept those annoying things no matter how ridiculous they are noone should force you to be part of something you dont want to be a part of.

Forcing people into countries etc is complete nonsense.

^This is where hopefull thinking and reality come to a head.  I think Colin Quinn said it best like this:

"The Greeks were busy thinking. The Romans came in and conquered them and said, 'What do you think about that?'"

You guys can all dream on while the conquerors come in and make their dreams a reality.  The realists rule the world.  Sometimes you have to realize that allowing everyone to declare their own sovereign country MAKES ABSOLUTILY NO SENSE, and that if a bunch of people have the power to get what they want....THEY WILL.

This is exciting.

I hope they become independant. There are many reasons why and being able to watch all the shitstorm all around Europe - in Spain, Belgium, the Balkans waking up again most probably, maybe even Germany having to deal with separatists would also be fun and entertaining

Wii U is a GCN 2 - I called it months before the release!

My Vita to-buy list: The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, TearAway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, History: Legends of War, FIFA 13, Final Fantasy HD X, X-2, Worms Revolution Extreme, The Amazing Spiderman, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - too many no-gaemz :/

My consoles: PS2 Slim, PS3 Slim 320 GB, PSV 32 GB, Wii, DSi.