By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sorry, Bayonetta 2 will not be a system seller (nor sell more than 1 million).

Global lifetime sales for Bayonetta 2 will be:

Less than 500k 124 17.06%

500k to 1 million 333 45.80%

More than 1 million 270 37.14%

Total:727

Maybe it can break a million since it's packaged with the first Bayonetta, at least people will have a chance of playing both games and not miss out. As a system seller, probably not.. it's not up to par with Mario Kart 8 or Smash Bros.

Around the Network

No one seriously thinks people are waiting for this game to buy WiiU. Do they? Nothing on WiiU not made by Nintendo and centered around major Nintendo characters will ever be a system seller. I'm not trolling... I'm truthing!

PC GAMING: BEST GAMES. WORST CONTROLS

A mouse & keyboard are made for sending email and typing internet badassery. Not for playing video games!!!

kupomogli said:

I doubt it'll sell more than one million, but if it does, it's because Nintendo fans will buy anything first party published, regardless of the amount of interest they have in it.

Any die hard fan will buy anything his company of choice published. That is what die hard fans do...That is not Nintendo specific in any way.

By the way, why do you think Nintendo fans will not have any interest in this game (The first was critically acclaimed and this one will most likely be too) ?

I think a lot of people have come around on the Bayo 2 situation than you might realize.

Certainly there's an entirely new fanbase engaged with this being Nintendo exclusive. I think Ninty has done a good job of getting their hardcore fans excited for this game and the franchise in general.

I'm sure a good number of fans of Bayonetta have now reconciled with the fact that this is and always will be a Wii U exclusive. While that's made plenty of folks sad and angry, there's still a great number that look at this situation and say "well, I guess I also now have a chance to try out new Mario and Zelda games, maybe Xenoblade and others"

Once this game hits shelves in NA and EU -- around Halloween no less, I think Bayonetta will cast a magic spell over many gamers who once swore they'd never touch the Wii U :)

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016

mushroomboy5 said:
ninjaman003 said:

Even people's "generous estimates" are a bit high. If you look the sales of all Wii U games, the top 5 are barely all over 1 million. If Bayonetta 2 sells really well, it won't even be close.

actually 3 wii u games have sold over 2 million (one has actually sold over 4 million)... but whatever.

(that said I'm only expecting 100-200 million lifetime Bayo 2 best case scenario

only the top 7-8 games, allowing vgchartz to be slightly accurate, are above one million. I agree some games have sold "well", but Bayonetta 2 has little chance of selling like Mario and Mario Kart. Wii Party U though, I guess anything can happen.

Around the Network
Areal-Llort said:
Maybe it can break a million since it's packaged with the first Bayonetta, at least people will have a chance of playing both games and not miss out. As a system seller, probably not.. it's not up to par with Mario Kart 8 or Smash Bros.

This...

spurgeonryan said:
MoHasanie said:
Yeah the game will flop.

Cannot remember if I have asked you this before. What do you consider a flop?

I can only assume he means it will not make a profit.

Symbios63 said:
kupomogli said:

I doubt it'll sell more than one million, but if it does, it's because Nintendo fans will buy anything first party published, regardless of the amount of interest they have in it.

Any die hard fan will buy anything his company of choice published. That is what die hard fans do...That is not Nintendo specific in any way.

By the way, why do you think Nintendo fans will not have any interest in this game (The first was critically acclaimed and this one will most likely be too) ?

That's why Nintendo consoles have made a name for themselves that "third party doesn't sell" because every console publisher has a large fanbase that does the same.

There are a lot of Sony and Microsoft first and second party games that don't sell well, regardless of quality.  Nintendo though?  Games like Paper Mario Sticker Star, Mario Party 3D, and Tomodachi Life sell in the millions.  That's some real quality right there.  No wonder Nintendo fans don't support third party.  /s.

kupomogli said:
Symbios63 said:
kupomogli said:

That's why Nintendo consoles have made a name for themselves that "third party doesn't sell" because every console publisher has a large fanbase that does the same.

There are a lot of Sony and Microsoft first and second party games that don't sell well, regardless of quality.  Nintendo though?  Games like Paper Mario Sticker Star, Mario Party 3D, and Tomodachi Life sell in the millions.  That's some real quality right there.  No wonder Nintendo fans don't support third party.  /s.

The best selling 3rd party game on the WiiU is ZombiU.  I believe that was bundled.  I think Bayonetta 2 will sell close to this, but won't break 1 million.  Wind Waker HD barely broke 1 million.

PosGamePlatformYearGenrePublisherNorth AmericaEuropeJapanRest of WorldGlobal
1 New Super Mario Bros. U WiiU 2012 Action Nintendo 1.95 0.80 1.21 0.23 4.19
2 Nintendo Land WiiU 2012 Action Nintendo 1.75 0.72 0.43 0.21 3.10
3 Mario Kart 8 WiiU 2014 Racing Nintendo 1.10 0.66 0.66 0.16 2.58
4 Super Mario 3D World WiiU 2013 Platform Nintendo 1.01 0.52 0.58 0.13 2.24
5 New Super Luigi U WiiU 2013 Platform Nintendo 1.02 0.42 0.15 0.12 1.71
6 Wii Party U WiiU 2013 Action Nintendo 0.22 0.28 0.79 0.05 1.34
7 The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker WiiU 2013 Action Nintendo 0.60 0.27 0.11 0.07 1.04
8 Pikmin 3 WiiU 2013 Strategy Nintendo 0.34 0.16 0.26 0.04 0.80
9 Lego City Undercover WiiU 2013 Action Nintendo 0.39 0.24 0.10 0.06 0.79
10 ZombiU WiiU 2012 Action Ubisoft 0.37 0.24 0.05 0.06 0.71

AZWification said:

Ummmm..... I don't think I've EVER seen anyone say that Bayo 2 will be a system-seller! :/

i do think it will be a system seller, but I am not talking about the ability to sell many systems, but to sell some units to a group of gamers that otherwise will not approach a Nintendo console before. This is a small group but for those it is the tipping point.