By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Destiny Dev: It Was "Liberating" to Move on From Halo

bungie have always sucked at storyline, frankly.
oni's storyline sucked
the storyline in all if the halos was forgettable (really, can you accurately tell someone the plot if each if the halo games without having played one really recently?
destinys story is soarse at best, but thats kinda the point, its an ongoing story thats meant to unfold over the lifetime of the game through updates, expansions and special events, everything else youre meant to fill in yourselves.

as it is right now, destiny isnt better than halo because of the story being to sparse, but in time it will be.
sorry if that upsets the halo diehards but its just the reality of things.

Around the Network
irstupid said:
Haven't heard anything regarding music of destiny.

Halo's theme is like amazing and it gets me pumped and goosebumps whenever I hear it and I barely ever played halo games. But can't deny amazing music.

Is Destiny any good?

the music in destiny is one of the most praised aspects of it i have seen across multiple forums. 

Hynad said:
jlmurph2 said:
outlawauron said:

I don't really care about what reviewers said, I'm speaking my opinions based on my experiences. While I haven't bothered with Spartan Assault, I have played every other entry in the series. With the last 3 entries in the series, I don't see how anyone can claim a big difference in quality.

Ok, so your post is missing the "in my opinion".

I personally think that, in my own individual view, if you need others to tell you what is good or not, I subjectively [of course] think that you're lacking a critical spirit of your own, in my own personal honest opinion.

Oh I know when a game is good and when a game has mediocre parts. Destiny's story/campaign for example, very mediocre. Not one notable character in the game. Strike missions are more engaging than the campaign even though they all have the exact same format over and over again. The multiplayer is an unbalanced turd that makes Halo 4's multiplayer look like a masterpiece. The best part of this game is playing with friends and leveling up after level 15.

jlmurph2 said:

Oh I know when a game is good and when a game has mediocre parts. Destiny's story/campaign for example, very mediocre. Not one notable character in the game. Strike missions are more engaging than the campaign even though they all have the exact same format over and over again. The multiplayer is an unbalanced turd that makes Halo 4's multiplayer look like a masterpiece. The best part of this game is playing with friends and leveling up after level 15.

I never take someone's opinion seriously when it's worded with an excessive amount of words like "mediocre", "crap", "shit", "turd", etc... To me, usage of such words to express one's "opinion" usually lies on foundations of bias, and/or gives away an obvious agenda. In my honest personal and individual own opinion, of course.

ultimately if you compare the story of halo with the story of destiny you are ignoring, either purposely or unintentionally, the vast difference that seperates the two.

Halo has you take on the role of an existing character, who the story is specifically crafted around, as such plenty of queues and plot twists can be used that directly effect the player, resulting in what feels like a more deep and engaging storyline.
Destiny on the other hand has you CREATE that main character, so the story has to be loose enough to work with not only the character you make but any character anyone makes, and also account for multiple characters existing in the same title.

what youre essentially doing is comparing apples to oranges, the proper comparison would be to take a random multiplayer character from halo and consider how much story that character has, you'll soon find it has little to none.

that key difference makes a huge impact to the story and makes comparing Destiny to games focusing on pre-existing, set characters, a rather narrow minded and inaccurate affair.

Around the Network
Hynad said:
jlmurph2 said:

I never take someone's opinion seriously when it's worded with an excessive amount of words like mediocre and turd. To me, usage of such words to express one's opinion usually lies on foundations of bias, and/or gives away an obvious agenda.

So my whole post is meaningless because I used the words mediocre and turd? Even though ive spent about 30 hours in Destiny? I understand turd is a bit harsh but mediocre is valid for explanations. 

Tamron said:

ultimately if you compare the story of halo with the story of destiny you are ignoring, either purposely or unintentionally, the vast difference that seperates the two.

Halo has you take on the role of an existing character, who the story is specifically crafted around, as such plenty of queues and plot twists can be used that directly effect the player, resulting in what feels like a more deep and engaging storyline.
Destiny on the other hand has you CREATE that main character, so the story has to be loose enough to work with not only the character you make but any character anyone makes, and also account for multiple characters existing in the same title.

what youre essentially doing is comparing apples to oranges, the proper comparison would be to take a random multiplayer character from halo and consider how much story that character has, you'll soon find it has little to none.

that key difference makes a huge impact to the story and makes comparing Destiny to games focusing on pre-existing, set characters, a rather narrow minded and inaccurate affair.

Halo Reach uses your multiplayer character and puts him in the campaign. He doesn't even speak and it worked fine. Bungie may have said "F you" to the lore in that game but the story came out much more meaningful than Destiny's. 

jlmurph2 said:
Tamron said:

Halo Reach uses your multiplayer character and puts him in the campaign. He doesn't even speak and it worked fine. Bungie may have said "F you" to the lore in that game but the story came out much more meaningful than Destiny's. 

you are still a set piece character in the campaign playing along side other set piece characters 

Fusioncode said:
They probably hit burnout working on one franchise for so many years. It's not surprising.

Nah, if Bungie owned Halo this would have been called Halo: Destiny.

It feels a lot like Halo, has a similar story, and very little innovation. This new IP was a business move, not a chance to do something new.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Tamron said:
jlmurph2 said:
Tamron said:

you are still a set piece character in the campaign playing along side other set piece characters 

Same goes for Destiny no? Everyone has the same campaign. Just because you set a race, gender and guardian type doesn't mean you can't make a campaign with a decent story. You're making excuses for something plenty of games have done better.