By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Does Microsoft owning Minecraft actually do anything???

Serious question.

It's already out on Ps4 and Ps3. Nothing at this point can save the Vita so it's not a big deal if it doesn't come to Vita.

I don't see a sequel ever coming out, at least not for a long time. 

So what does this accomplish besides Microsoft emptying their pockets?

Currently own:

• Ps4

Currently playing: Witcher 3, Walking Dead S1/2, GTA5, Dying Light, Tomb Raider Remaster, MGS Ground Zeros

Around the Network

For MS, Nope, dumbass decision imo
For Mojang, Yep... they can now spend 2.5 billion on hookers and kinky sex

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:
For MS, Nope, dumbass decision imo
For Mojang, Yep... they can now spend 2.5 billion on hookers and kinky sex

Oh you

Only possibility i see is licensing the franchise ala LEGO games.

Otherwise i just see a lump of money going down the toilet.

PlayStation is publishing the PS3, PS4 and PS Vita version of Mincraft this means that Mojang has signed some kind of contract with SCE and Microsoft can't breach that for X amount of time (possibly 1 or more years after release).

They can make sequels and DLC exclusive to PC, xbox or any platform they desire.

Don't copy random editorials.

Around the Network

This is a colossal waste of money they could have bought almost any other studio but they buy this one with only one big game . Personally I think that sequels to minecraft will sell badly and leave them with a studio with no relevant ips.

ThatDanishGamer said:

PlayStation is publishing the PS3, PS4 and PS Vita version of Mincraft this means that Mojang has signed some kind of contract with SCE and Microsoft can't breach that for X amount of time.

They can make sequels and DLC exclusive to PC, xbox or any platform they desire.

MS will still be making money off the PS version anyway, doubt they would pull the game from PSN though. 

Not unless Microsoft sees an absolute ton of potential in one of the games Mojang is working on. I know that Scrolls game is one and I believe they have at least one more. Still, I cannot see them coming close to another success like Minecraft.

I think by now there is not much of a chance for us to see why MS did this.
Seeing that people think this would affect only Xbox or Playstation and even had to do with the current war I think these people are terribly wrong...

If Minecaft continues to be a popular thing outside of gaming (i.e. merchandise), then I guess they could make some money off it. As a game, however, it was never even remotely popular enough on consoles to justify spending this much money for it. I don't see a sequel coming out period. There's no point. the only thing you can really continue to make is expansions. Plus, sadly, whenever MS gets their hands on something like this, it tends to go to shit. Rare and Skype are prime examples...

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon