By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - August 2014 NPD Thread! PS4 - 190k, XBO - 160k, Wii U < 60k, PSV < 6k

Maciveli said:
Soundwave said:

Every system increases in the fall, big whoop. 

You want to see a real monster at work, go look at PS2's November/December 2001 and lets see the PS4 try to keep pace with that. 

They had a great launch but the sales in 2014 after the launch honeymoon wore off haven't impressed me much. Sorry if you can't deal with that without throwing a hissy fit. PS2 is a much better example of a very good launch followed by extremely strong second year of sales consistently knocking out 300k+ month after month in even traditionally slower months like its nothing. 

You really make me laugh.

PS2 2001
900k Nov
1.9m Dec

Yahh PS4 will really struggle to pull that,

part two PS4 has yet to even finish its first year while you are brining up PS2s second year.   please stop buddy you are really making a joke of yourself now.  

I don't think the PS4 will hit those numbers. Sorry. 

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
Iamdavirus said:
Soundwave said:
Iamdavirus said:
Soundwave said:

??? I ama sking why you keep harping on 1-2 months and ignoring all the other facts?? LIke it selling so much faster means it hit demand much faster then 360 ps3, or even ps2 did at first? The only one defensive are you on your crusade to make ps4 look bad by bringing up the ps2, the best selling console evr lol

I haven't been impressed with PS4 sales for several months now. Not just the last 1-2. Deal with it. 

Good for you I guess, that's a you issue, the facts are the facts though.

Yes they are, like 190k for first August (and the PS4's numbers for April, May, June, as well) are relatively weak unless you go back to the PSX/N64 era from which we don't have reliable numbers. 

?? AGAIN .......because it sold so much faster........you keep ignoring that.....it took 360 and ps3 many more months to do it, so it's supply was strained thus better sales in slower moinths...why do you keep ignoring this??

1-2 months does NOT negate overall sales, it's cherry picking

I don't care what it sold at launch. We've all acknowledged it had a very strong launch (not surprising since the last generation went on for damn near a decade). I'm looking at its sales performance this year and it's nothing special. 

And I'm looking at this in the context of the INDUSTRY as a whole, not as a PS4 versus XB1 circle jerk wank for bragging rights.

If the market leader is having troubles hitting above 250k consistently, coupled with the utter collapse of the handheld business, it says something about the industry IMO. 

OMG it is only not hitting 250 k now in the slow months because orf the strong launch, jesus christ man.... It wont continue to be below 200 k...... You cannot ignore one without it effecting the other.....

IOf ps4 had half the supply and sold say 6 million currently sales the last few months would be more then double...................Again supply and demand how does it mwork?

thismeintiel said:
So it's just for SW? Still, VERY deceptive PR. "Xbox One sales are on a positive trajectory, nearly doubling sales in August in the U.S. compared to July due in part to strong demand for the Xbox One Madden NFL 15’bundle." There's no questioning that most, if not all, people would look at that and think HW sales, since they are referencing a HW bundle being responsible for the uptick in sales. As DerNebel said, bad form.

Even taking away the  fact it looks like they are reffering to Hardware ,   software sales doubling in august still seems  deceptive ,  when he talks about the nfl 15 bundle  ,most people would assume that he means compared to last months ndp software figures this months nearly doubled and the bundle had a large bearing on that .

The fact is  ndp doesn't count bundles it would be like sony adding in digital sales on top off the  TLOU ndp sales  and saying look at that rise .

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

czecherychestnut said:

Let it go man, you aren't going to convince them because they don't want to be convinced, they've made up their mind and thats it. Proceeding with the argument will just get you worked up and banned. Better just to see a brick wall for what it is and move on. 

FWIW he's already permabanned ... 

fatslob-:O said:
czecherychestnut said:

Let it go man, you aren't going to convince them because they don't want to be convinced, they've made up their mind and thats it. Proceeding with the argument will just get you worked up and banned. Better just to see a brick wall for what it is and move on. 

Doesnt change the fact your arguements are moronic.

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
Maciveli said:
Soundwave said:

Every system increases in the fall, big whoop. 

You want to see a real monster at work, go look at PS2's November/December 2001 and lets see the PS4 try to keep pace with that. 

They had a great launch but the sales in 2014 after the launch honeymoon wore off haven't impressed me much. Sorry if you can't deal with that without throwing a hissy fit. PS2 is a much better example of a very good launch followed by extremely strong second year of sales consistently knocking out 300k+ month after month in even traditionally slower months like its nothing. 

You really make me laugh.

PS2 2001
900k Nov
1.9m Dec

Yahh PS4 will really struggle to pull that,

part two PS4 has yet to even finish its first year while you are brining up PS2s second year.   please stop buddy you are really making a joke of yourself now.  

I don't think the PS4 will hit those numbers. Sorry. 

Thing is you dont want them to, you thinking anything means nothing.

Basic math can show you if you let it it can and will likely easily hit that, many on here have done these threads to death.  

I don't care what it sold at launch. We've all acknowledged it had a very strong launch (not surprising since the last generation went on for damn near a decade). I'm looking at its sales performance this year and it's nothing special. 

And I'm looking at this in the context of the INDUSTRY as a whole, not as a PS4 versus XB1 circle jerk wank for bragging rights.

If the market leader is having troubles hitting above 250k consistently, coupled with the utter collapse of the handheld business, it says something about the industry IMO. 

OMG it is only not hitting 250 k now in the slow months because orf the strong launch, jesus christ man.... It wont continue to be below 200 k...... You cannot ignore one without it effecting the other.....

IOf ps4 had half the supply and sold say 6 million currently sales the last few months would be more then double...................Again supply and demand how does it mwork?

Why would a strong launch be deterimental to later sales? 

That doesn't even make sense, the Wii and PS2 had great launches and that propelled them to strong post-launches. 

If your sales are declining big time after launch, something is not right or you're admitting the launch period was over-inflated by some type of pent up demand. In which case the launch isn't as impressive, it's like a 100 meter dash sprinter getting off the blocks extremely quickly and then starting to lose speed a few strides later. 

Intrinsic said:

like he said,

how many times are you gonna ignore the facts????? "4 months" (better?) does not negate total sales. You keep focusing on 4 months to spin your argument, ignoring all the sales data.........

either way... 1 month or 4 months the facts still remain. the PS4 got to 10M before the PS2. And the PS2 went onto become the best seling console of all time. 

Lets look at it another way, if you sell 300k of your console for 12 months (january to december) and end the year having sold 3.6M consoles, and I sell 50k of my console for 9 months but somehow.... I end the year (also after 12 months) having sold 5M consoles. 

Of the two of us who do you think would be regarded as more successful? How is it possible that you do not see the sense in this?

You know damn well that the comparisons aren't fair since the PS2 has had yet to launch in the majority of it's regions at that time so why don't you align the territory releases together to see how well that goes. 

So you want to get into semantics? Ok

• PS2 launched at $300
  • It was also the cheapest DVD player on the market and basically brought DVDs to the masses
  • PS2 had no competition, both the original XB and Gamecube launched over 18 months after it launched.
  • There were no tablets and smartphones back then, so games like "parapa the rapper" which today could only ever be a casual tablet game could be on the PS2. Basically, the PS2 didn't have to also fight with tablets or smartphones canibalizing sales.

I could go on, hell we can start talking about inflation and/or how back then practically every third party game was exclusive to the PS2. But as I said, thats all just semantics. There are simply too many variables. But one thing

sigh never mind. this is pointless.

czecherychestnut said:

Personally I don't care about his/her past history, thats for the mods to sort out. 

Soundwave said:

Why would a strong launch be deterimental to later sales? 

That doesn't even make sense, the Wii and PS2 had great launches and that propelled them to strong post-launches. 

If your sales are declining big time after launch, something is not right or you're admitting the launch period was over-inflated by some type of pent up demand. In which case the launch isn't as impressive, it's like a 100 meter dash sprinter getting off the blocks extremely quickly and then starting to lose speed a few strides later. 

LMAO because the only reason first year in the Summer 360 and ps3 were selling well is because they sold les then HALF what the ps4 did.....less supply...demand , supply google it... If ps4 sold 5 million due to low suppl sales in august would be double........it's not hard.

By the time 360 and ps3 hit 10 - 11 mill,,,,it ook way longer and sales started slowing theyneeded price drops..ps4 will eventually and sales will spike again.