By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - August 2014 NPD Thread! PS4 - 190k, XBO - 160k, Wii U < 60k, PSV < 6k

Soundwave said:
Iamdavirus said:

Again.////////August was 190k because PS4 hit past 10 million so fast...I ask again how does 1 month negate a whole year of great sales?? And being the second fastest to hit 10 million? If ps3 had millions more stock it's august would have been below 100k that month.

ps3 was supply constrained ps4 was not...........................ps3 was at how many million less???? Your argumants are one sided and wrong.

PS4 hasn't sold that great for a while now, since the honeymoon period of its launch wore off, it's been wishy washy for a while. It's doing well in the context that everything else is selling like dog sh*t though. August is just more of the norm, of course they will get a large bump next month because of the Destiny bundle. 

ROFL AGAIN,,,,it has sold fine, considering how FAST it went past 10 million, again.ther gens had low supply for months longer thus spreading out it's launch sales...again you keep ignoring this....Sales are going to go up drastically now in sept, what will you say then??? It is a fluke month?

The 360 and ps3 had price cuts befire hitting 10 mill, you keep ignoring tta...they also would have sold less in later months had they had million mmore supply up front for early adopters liek PS4 did....

Around the Network
Aura7541 said:
Zanten said:

I said that first! You owe me a nickel! Pay meeee! =O Well said regardless. =D

Oh... well then. Great minds think alike?

I'm teasing. xD I got ignored when I pointed it out anyway, so maybe you'll get a response. =P

Zanten, Doer Of The Things

Unless He Forgets In Which Case Zanten, Forgetter Of The Things

Or He Procrascinates, In Which Case Zanten, Doer Of The Things Later

Or It Involves Moving Furniture, in Which Case Zanten, F*** You.

Zanten said:
Aura7541 said:
Zanten said:

I said that first! You owe me a nickel! Pay meeee! =O Well said regardless. =D

Oh... well then. Great minds think alike?

I'm teasing. xD I got ignored when I pointed it out anyway, so maybe you'll get a response. =P

Chapset also echoed our sentiment in the previous page so that makes the 3 of us

Soundwave said:

Lol, PS2 has been kicking PS4's ass pretty soundly for several months now. This month is par for the course, nothing special. 

People are just specifically citing this month's numbers because they're the newest and most relevant numbers we have. 

i dunno how to say this to you... but i will try.

markets change and so do trends. Consoles are sold and priced differently than how they were back then. manufacturing methods improve. New markets are entered...etc.

Just an example, back then it was practically impossible launching a new console worldwide and selling as much as 4M consoles in 2 months. launches were usually staggered which meant that sales were spread out over subsequent months as opposed to being front (or seasonal) loaded as they are today.

Having said all that, the PS2 may be "kicking the PS4s ass" according to you these past few months, but it doesn't change that fact that somehow the PS4 still managed to get to 10M sold before it. Front loaded, more markets, monthly sales, it doesn't really matter. How many consoles were sold over a set period of time from launch is the best way to measure the success of any console. 

And as far as that goes, the PS4 is winning. it doesn't matter if the PS4 sells 100k per month if it somehow sells 6M in 2 months and still ends up beating the PS2. Unless you have your head in the sand that is.

So lets make it fair, lets see how many months it takes the PS4 to get to 10M, then 20M then 30M then 40M in relation to how long it took the PS2 to do the same. Whenever the PS2 reaches any of those milestones before the PS4 we can then say its outpacing the PS4. That should be the logical thing to do. Then again, I have just illogically said all this to someone that probably wouldn't agree/understand a single line here. 

Common sense is not so common these days. And this post is proof of that, cause if i did have any sense, i would know better to have even bothered explaining this to you.

Iamdavirus said:
CosmicSex said:
CGI-Quality said:
CosmicSex said:
Soundwave said:

-snip

That's pretty much what I showed. What's key: 

PS2:

• 13 months – March 31st, 2001 – 10.61 million

PS4:

• 9 months – August 17th, 2014 – 10 million
Seeing how 10 million is the benchmark, that it was I felt was most important. It took the PS4 four months less (overall, I'm aware of the 7 month JP discrepancy for the PS2 and the 3 month difference for PS4) to hit it. Not sure how that can be spun, other than, again, mentioning Japan (which as I did with the Gran Turismo people last gen - the sales were made up elsewhere), but that's grasping at its absolute best.

Seeing as all markets are considered when looking at global benchmarks, it is factious to delve into individual countries because the only result of an aligned launch is more sales at a certain period of time.  Grasping isn't even the word.   For example, they says "Face it! For a market leader the PS4 is underperforming and nothing will change that according to the data".   This means that to there is no situation in which they will admit the PS4 is doing well let alone exceptional.  You can't argue with someone who refuses to acknowledge data while presenting nothing objectively. 

You: PS4 is the fastest selling console in history.

Them: The PS4 is underperforming and nothing will change that because of this arbitrary fact that doesn't change that its the fastest selling console in history.

Exactly.

I can't believe i'm the only one who is pointing this out, but those numbers only include 4 months of EU sales and 6 months of US sales for PS2 (13 for japan only) while PS4 numbers include all 9 months in the US and EU.  The numbers prove that the PS2 sold better not the PS4.  That does not mean that PS4 is selling bad by any means, it is doing fine but there are so many people trumpeting this number and ignoring the facts.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Around the Network
Intrinsic said:
Soundwave said:

Lol, PS2 has been kicking PS4's ass pretty soundly for several months now. This month is par for the course, nothing special. 

People are just specifically citing this month's numbers because they're the newest and most relevant numbers we have. 

i dunno how to say this to you... but i will try.

markets change and so do trends. Consoles are sold and priced differently than how they were back then. manufacturing methods improve. New markets are entered...etc.

Just an example, back then it was practically impossible launching a new console worldwide and selling as much as 4M consoles in 2 months. launches were usually staggered which meant that sales were spread out over subsequent months as opposed to being front (or seasonal) loaded as they are today.

Having said all that, the PS2 may be "kicking the PS4s ass" according to you these past few months, but it doesn't change that fact that somehow the PS4 still managed to get to 10M sold before it. Front loaded, more markets, monthly sales, it doesn't really matter. How many consoles were sold over a set period of time from launch is the best way to measure the success of any console. 

And as far as that goes, the PS4 is winning. it doesn't matter if the PS4 sells 100k per month if it somehow sells 6M in 2 months and still ends up beating the PS2. Unless you have your head in the sand that is.

So lets make it fair, lets see how many months it takes the PS4 to get to 10M, then 20M then 30M then 40M in relation to how long it took the PS2 to do the same. Whenever the PS2 reaches any of those milestones before the PS4 we can then say its outpacing the PS4. That should be the logical thing to do. Then again, I have just illogically said all this to someone that probably would agree/understand a single line here. 

Common sense is not so common these days. And this post is proof of that, cause if i did have any sense, i would know better to have even bothered explaining this to you.

Dont worry he will ignore all this, say august was only 190k and say it is bad rofl...

Aura7541 said:

The problem is that the market environments the PS2 and PS4 were released in are very disimilar. It's easy to just put the numbers side by side, compare them, and call it a day. However, the context of those numbers are hugely different.

Also, no two consoles have the same sales pattern, giving another reason why you can't just compare numbers side by side. Each console's journey is different and it's quite obvious that the PS4 is taking a different path from the PS2. Games are much more expensive to make nowadays in comparison to the early 2000s. As a result, Sony's current strategy is vastly different from its strategy back then. Consequently, this also affects their target audience. As a result, you can't make a conclusion from just a temporary dip in sales. You need to look at the whole picture.

I am looking at the whole picture and suffice to say I'm partially dissappointed about the PS4's performance ... 

Just because things have become harder does not excuse a leading platforms weak performances. Look I'm not saying that the PS4 is doing bad but Sony needs to fix it's minmum ASAP.

CGI-Quality said:
ethomaz said:

CGI-Quality said:

-snip

Just to put some perspective... this PS2 numbers is production shipment... so everything Sony produced and not what they shipped to retail like they started to do after 2006... that can means less than 9 million sold.

Learn something new everyday!

I told this a NPD thread or two ago. Sony used to count sales as shipped to warehouses, but changed to shipped to retailers at the start of last generation.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Soundwave said:

PS4 hasn't sold that great for a while now, since the honeymoon period of its launch wore off, it's been wishy washy for a while. It's doing well in the context that everything else is selling like dog sh*t though. August is just more of the norm, of course they will get a large bump next month because of the Destiny bundle. 

So how did it hit 10m so damn fast ? 

fatslob-:O said:
Aura7541 said:

The problem is that the market environments the PS2 and PS4 were released in are very disimilar. It's easy to just put the numbers side by side, compare them, and call it a day. However, the context of those numbers are hugely different.

Also, no two consoles have the same sales pattern, giving another reason why you can't just compare numbers side by side. Each console's journey is different and it's quite obvious that the PS4 is taking a different path from the PS2. Games are much more expensive to make nowadays in comparison to the early 2000s. As a result, Sony's current strategy is vastly different from its strategy back then. Consequently, this also affects their target audience. As a result, you can't make a conclusion from just a temporary dip in sales. You need to look at the whole picture.

I am looking at the whole picture and suffice to say I'm partially dissappointed about the PS4's performance ... 

Just because things have become harder does not excuse a leading platforms weak performances. Look I'm not saying that the PS4 is doing bad but Sony needs to fix it's minmum ASAP.

Thats a you issue, second fasteest ever to 10 million is disappointing is retarded thinking....it took months for ps3 and 360 to have near that kind of supply thus spreading out sales longer.........

US <> the world either.