By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 9th Gen in 2017?

Could MS jumpstart the 9th gen to restart the race in 2017 basically writing off the XB1 as a failure?

Yes 50 20.58%

No 101 41.56%

Nintendo will do it first 92 37.86%

Total:243
Seece said:
WiiU is not getting anywhere near 60m ...

Other than that, I forsee this gen ending sooner than the last one did.

Xbox One probably isnt going to come close to that number either, unless they have some huge mid-gen upgrade to extend its life like Kinect was for 360. I think 30-40 million sounds about right.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
Seece said:

Xbox One probably isnt going to come close to that number either, unless they have some huge mid-gen upgrade to extend its life like Kinect was for 360. I think 30-40 million sounds about right.

I agree, especially if the gen IS short. XB1 should only ever average 10m a year (if that) and die out after 2017/2018.

Seece said:
zorg1000 said:
Seece said:

I agree, especially if the gen IS short. XB1 should only ever average 10m a year (if that) and die out after 2017/2018.

next gen is not starting in 2017 /2018 heck this one isn;t reallt starting until 2015, no xbox fans are wishing for this gen to end quick where this one is not going well...

JazzB1987 said:
platformmaster918 said:
Let's hope not. Longer gens make consoles more worth it

and the games crappier and more boring and everything will look the same and the consumers feel fatigue and also PC hardware gets affected because noone needs to upgrade which results in less innovations in hardware and 10% boosts per PC-hardware-generation instead of 30+% boosts or whatever and as a result the next consoles will again be underpowered (compared to what could have been without the artificial slowdown that was caused by PS360 and noone upgrading hardware on PC etc)

Keep the consoles for 5 years and then kill them.

some of my favorite games came out in 2013 for PS3 and the PS4 is less advanced because it needed to be $400 or under without much of a loss this time.

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

Are we talking about a slightly enhanced X1 like the new 3DS or a full on new console?

I don't think it would really matter. The new console wouldn't do any better. The devs would still look at the PS4's success and shun the new Xbox. Financially it would be absolutely stupid to dump the X1. Even if the X1 stays weak, it will eventually make a profit. A new console so soon would just be another money eating black hole.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network

I don´t know who´s gonna start the next gen but it definitely won´t happen in 2017 :/

I could see it. I tend to think MS making a $2 billion bet on Minecraft signals their long term intent to be a player in the game business.

Besides launching a new console in 2017 wouldn't "kill" the XBox One, it would still be supported well into 2019. Unlike the first XBox they don't have to yank it from storeshelves because the component costs are so bad.

yes, i can see that happen, but it will be even more multi media, and not so much more power.
a 200-300$ box, with a heavy focus on multimedia, launching together with a tv service from m$ and a overpowered lumia xbox with a big, ultra thin screen and a slider gamepad.(and a cheaper look alike from Huawei)

they have to counter the competition from google and amazon.

and maybe we will see a xbone service for PC.

Microsoft will not launch their new console in 2017. It is more likely they will never again launch a new console. Some reports state that they are testing bringing XBox games over to browsers, and their future probably lies in pushing gaming over to mobile/handheld/tablet Windows devices. They claim it is their core, and with the most of the world gaming on smartphones anyway seems to be a more plausible strategy.
XOne will likely coexist in that environment as a set-top entertainment box it was always envisioned to be, probably evolving to a more compact gaming/streaming setup at a lower price (approaching PSTV, Amazon Fire etc...)

Other than Nintendo, it is more and more likely there will be no Gen 9 consoles in the capacity we have grown used to over the past 25 years.

My guess is you're lowballing how much the X1 will sell, I still see it pulling 55M-60M in it's lifetime, it's only just got started. Yes, it was a fairly bungled start, but that does not have to be the end of the story.