By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Destiny PS4 v XB1: PS4 Has Vibrant Colors And Sharper Image Quality

The guy talking about cinema vs tv.

I know what you are talking about. Not so much that the image is sharp and crispy but when you look at some low budget TV shows it looks like someone standing behind a glass window in front of you. This is caused by TVs when you enable high motion. Great for sports but shit for movies. I turn that feature off and only on for sport.

As for games I don't think same logic applies as its a rendered world.

Around the Network

X1 version had better colors than the PS4 version in the previews. Should I call shenanigans or did something happen?

Not quite sure why people are arguing over a cinematic opening sequence. If the video comparison isn't of gameplay then it's not worth looking at for the purposes of e-dick measuring.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Something VERY SH**TY goes here.

The X1 picure is in LIMITED range 16-235
and PS4 is in FullRGB 0-255 range.

You can check "black" in any picture program - even MSPAINT by picking up colour at the up/down borders.
It is 16-16-16 (RGB) and on PS4 side 0-0-0

The same with "white" 235-235-235 vs 255-255-255

So
A) X1 Destiny was GIMPED by Bungie (Sony deal) - not very likely IMHO
B) X1 has a bug
C) Gamingbolt's guys are LAMERS and DISABLED Full range RGB in X1 options....

D) The are crafty bussinessmen and they are LYING/DOING above  on purpose to GENERATE website hits

Both are 1080p/30fps. It could be just gamma/contrast differences in that video.

Around the Network
pockethamster said:

You don't really understand do you?

In these screenshots The PS4 suffers from very low dynamic range which means that it is unable to show subtle diferences in light & dark shades - so all the lighter colours that Xbone can render beautifully on the PS4 they all display as white (and the subtle shadows display as black). This obviously compresses the tonal rage and therefore gives a more contrasty look becasue all the grey's and near blacks suddebly turn to solid black and all the light colours turn to solid white. Hence why it's most certainly not a good thing and you are not seeing anywhere near as many details.

All of this is quite clearly demonstrated throughout the screenshots, and in particular the one below.

Now you are welcome to prefer one over the other of course, and that may be the technically worse version (PS4) but in any professional capacity the better "quality" results are the Xbone. 

You're welcome

You have GOT to be joking. There's 'less' detail there because of bloom (looking straight into the sun).

The PS5 Exists. 

Good. If it ends up the PS4 version looks slightly better, I hope this ends the parity clause nonsense that the PS4 users here whined constantly about when it was revealed they would both be 1080p.

TacticalWizardQuest said:

I haven't watched the video yet, but I don't think that image is good proof of anything.

Thats it? That is what people are crying about now? ffs really? you(being the ones who are making a big deal over it) should be banned from the internet and gaming entirely.

Apparently, from the Neogaf thread, the PS4 version uses a much cleaner and sharper (less blurry) Anti-aliasing method than in the Beta, and better than the XB1 version.

Anyway the fact that DF still didn't publish the face-off must be because it's true. If both versions were perfectly identical they would have said it to the whole world already.

Finally, a limited color stuff should not make the XB1 image blurrier than the full colors PS4 version, it could make it more washed out, but not more blurry. It must be a difference in AA method like many Neogaf people noticed.

I tried both Xbox One and PS4 versions during the beta when they made it open for anybody to try. Did not see any difference at all. I thought DF already did a beta comparison of both versions?