By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Are you tired of the older generation of gamers feeling superior?

its not just gaming. popculture is dieing. to much remakes, to much stolen ideas, to much cheap cashgrabs and a bad society. the 2000s and 2010s are just lame, or im ust getting old and miss the wierdness of the 90s

Around the Network

As a 33 year old I feel a lot of it is nostalgia. True games on average were much harder but some of that is due to poor control and poor game design. I do agree that younger generations are having their hands held/babied/protected more so than in the past in every walk of life though. I dont know if that is entirely good.

Getting an XBOX One for me is like being in a bad relationship but staying together because we have kids. XBone we have 20000+ achievement points, 2+ years of XBL Gold and 20000+ MS points. I think its best we stay together if only for the MS points.

Nintendo Treehouse is what happens when a publisher is confident and proud of its games and doesn't need to show CGI lies for five minutes.

-Jim Sterling

So if you are an older generation gamer that thinks that older games are harder then you are an arrogant asshole with a superiority complex? I guess that's what I am then since back in the day games were much, much harder.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

Look at those arrogant bastards, loving their retro games. They disgust me.

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

amp316 said:
So if you are an older generation gamer that thinks that older games are harder then you are an arrogant asshole with a superiority complex? I guess that's what I am then since back in the day games were much, much harder.
Anfebious said:
Look at those arrogant bastards, loving their retro games. They disgust me.

Thinking the fact that you played harder (to beat) games makes you somehow "a better gamer". Thinking that just because someone young can't play a game with graphics, mechanics and controls they've never seen before , it means they suck at gaming. Yes, these things make you an arrogant a@#$%le with a superiority complex. Actually when I think about it, "inferiority comlex" is more fitting. I made a mistake.

~Mod Edit~

This post has been moderated.

-Smeags

Around the Network

Just ignore the arrogant and elitist gamers who are all too common on gaming forums these days. One day they shall all be replaced by the very same ones they love to trash talk. I think trash talking other fellow gamers gives them a feeling of self worth or something. Gotta feel special somehow I guess. What better way than to make others look inferior?

I've been playing games since the 80's. I beat Zelda, Contra, not Ninja Gaiden though (Seriously, FU Ninja Gaiden, lol) and Battletoads. This should make me a superior gamer.

I go into an online match in CoD, Destiny, etc... and these young kids whoop my ass like you wouldn't believe. I guess all those NES games didn't do their job as I am clearly the inferior gamer in those situations.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Psychotic said:
archbrix said:

That's where your reasoning is deeply flawed.  You can tell me what a good game looks like?  Compare the graphics in Haze to the graphics in Tetris.  Does that make Haze a better game?  Certainly not according to people's wallets...

Face it:  There are reasons that some things are remembered as classics and some are remembered as dated junk.  Claiming that anything that is looked back fondly on is due only to "nostalgia value" is as silly of a blanket statement as what Review Tech is saying.

Who was talking about graphics? I said that "a good game" is significantly easier to objectiverly define than "a good song" or "a good movie". A good game doesn't frustrate, a good game isn't infair, a good game creates an emotional high, a good game isn't glitchy enough to interfere with the experience... What does a good movie look like? What do Godfather and Ace Ventura have in common? I have no freain' clue.

I did what I could to make sure the message comes across and I apparently failed - I never said all old games are remembered purely for nostalgia, I sad A LOT (not all) of them are.

Ok, point taken, but I would still point out that there's more subjectivity in comparing games than you might realize.  For example, Skyrim or Fallout may have a lot of glitches and be broken to some people, but to others they are considered good games.  Pac Man or Tetris are pretty much perfect in the gameplay department to me, but someone else might be bored to tears with them.  What constitutes as "good" can still be different to different people, same as movies, music, art, or books.

archbrix said:

Ok, point taken, but I would still point out that there's more subjectivity in comparing games than you might realize.  For example, Skyrim or Fallout may have a lot of glitches and be broken to some people, but to others they are considered good games.  Pac Man or Tetris are pretty much perfect in the gameplay department to me, but someone else might be bored to tears with them.  What constitutes as "good" can still be different to different people, same as movies, music, art, or books.

Certainly. All art is subjective. We all have different priorities, too.

I'am old gamer and it bothers me, because honesly any gamer who has old systems knows that if you pick a random 8 or 16-bit game chances are that it will suck really hard (same is true of old computer games btw).

Now old games were often harder, not by design, but because of the limitations of the hardware back then.. also, they were often more "same-ish" look at all those platform or shooters... more or less the same...

Not that today's games are better, but we just need to approaqch them differently.

and yes the endless tutorials of some games is boring but not all games do it, like not all NES games are as good as Mega Man or Super Mario Bros 3.

I love gaming and I love games from all generations, but I do believe games today are easier and have a lot of hand holding and mercy when the player messes up. Even with a genre like FPS where your health regens in a matter of a few seconds. What happened to having to find health and armor or having a limited number of lives/continues?

A lot of the older games were difficult due to control, but others were just outright difficult/challenging and near impossible. I definitely do not say that the computer cheats these days like I used to playing on my NES. My goodness R.C. Pro-Am that AI would piss me off to no end! They don't make them like that much anymore. Even reading about Destiny today, a writer (I think it was Forbes) was talking about how he is level 12 and the enemies scale up with him and the challenge has hardly increased at all. What is the fun in that if you are seemingly getting higher level and the enemies are still just as easy to kill?