By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft Nearing Deal To Purchase Minecraft for $2 Billion CNBC Reports

the_dengle said:
So... hypothetically, what would happen to the iOS/Android/PS3/4/V versions? Would Microsoft have them shut down, or would they simply cash in on the success of other companies?

I'd imagine MS would keep the iOS, Android, and add a Windows Phone version. Not sure if MS would pull a dick move and remove the game from PS consoles.  I could see MS letting them stay on all current devices and just not make Minecraft 2 (assuming a MC2 comes) for PS consoles. 

Around the Network

I would think that they allow Minecraft 1 to be sold on all it's existing platforms as they would still get a lot of money from people buying the original seeing as how it's not slowing down in sales at all. But perhaps if they were to develop a sequel that it would just be exclusive to XBO/360/PC/Mac and possibly mobile users.

I could totally see MS writing the check for $2 billion, Notch then leaves, forms a new development company...then the rest of Mojang quits and follows him over. MS ends up left with an empty office and an aging IP...

It's happened before (with Rare), I could see it happening again. Good for Notch and Mojang, not so good for MS...

Best part about this news is suddenly Minecraft is an old and declining IP LOL.

Isn't the game like.. 3-4 years old? The actual release anyway.

jnemesh said:
I could totally see MS writing the check for $2 billion, Notch then leaves, forms a new development company...then the rest of Mojang quits and follows him over. MS ends up left with an empty office and an aging IP...

It's happened before (with Rare), I could see it happening again. Good for Notch and Mojang, not so good for MS...

a Bloomberg report suggests that Notch indeed leaves the company once its sold

Around the Network
LudicrousSpeed said:

3-4 years IS old in this industry!  Despite it being a bestseller, it is an aging game...and I would say that the vast majority of the lifetime sales of the game have already been rung up.

jnemesh said:
LudicrousSpeed said:

3-4 years IS old in this industry!  Despite it being a bestseller, it is an aging game...and I would say that the vast majority of the lifetime sales of the game have already been rung up.

What would Nintendo do without their aging IPs?

jnemesh said:
LudicrousSpeed said:

lol 3-4 is not old. And I agree it is in aging game. It's been around in one form or another for over 5 years now. But to say the IP is old, lol.

Furthermore there are tons of potential revenue in other areas. People are making a mistake when they do as you are and look at it purely from a game perspective.

minecraft is tapering off popularity wise, so even if everyone was cool with the idea it would still have been a waste, but given how this deal stands to pretty much screw over 65-70% of minecraft players, its pretty much garunteed that this move will deal minecraft an early death and make people hate microsoft even more. 

the term "more money than sense"  fits perfectly here. 

as does "you cant buy love" 

the2real4mafol said:
Microsoft sure love wasting money. Why not invest that into Rare and bring them back to their former glory?

Their former glory was hype.

Their best days were on the SNES. Everything they did on the N64 was over rated.

Even the former employees of Rare haven't done anything noteworthy.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)