By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft Nearing Deal To Purchase Minecraft for $2 Billion CNBC Reports

Around the Network
starcraft said:
Minecraft is the most popular indie-like game out there you'd have to say.

But even then I wouldn't expect the game to sell Xbox One's anymore than other indie exclusives sell Xbox Ones and PS4's (i.e. virtually not at all).

If Microsoft is really doing this I'd say it has more to do with their mobile/integrated platform strategy - that or something else Mojang are working on we don't know about.

If they basically rip off LEGO's playbook ... 

Licensed Minecraft games (ie: Star Wars, Marvel, etc.) combined with a live action movie and a bigger push for a toy line ... it could be worth some money. 

Heck, to be honest they could even make Minecraft NFC toys like Nintendo's amiibo but have them work on smartphones/tablets too (cah-ching!). 

2 billion dollars seems a bit low doesnt it? Minecraft alone has surely made about 1-1.5 billion by now. And with the new consoles they're gonna make much more, plus ps3+x360+PC+IOS+Android still sells like hotcakes.
Microsoft looking to buy Mojang - maybe, but I doubt they'd accept. They're a success story in the indie world, and pc players of mc will be pissed as hell

Euphoria14 said:

I think if MS purchases Mojang their best bet would be to leave things as they are, support all their currently released versions and focus on expanding the brand outside of videogames.

Not wise to begin fucking around with the current consumer base.

I was telling my family the other day how a Minecraft/Lego collaboration would be incredible. Minecraft, LEGO texture pack.

Probably not what you want, but I posted about that earlier.

(also this is what I have been spending money on instead of games)

WHERE IS MY KORORINPA 3

Oh well let's hope for some word from Notch or someone else by tomorrow.

Around the Network

Freaking idiots

Ltd predictions by the time 9th Gen comes out

Ps4:110million

Xbox one :75 million( was 65) 

Wii u: 20 milliion

Gnac said:
Euphoria14 said:

I think if MS purchases Mojang their best bet would be to leave things as they are, support all their currently released versions and focus on expanding the brand outside of videogames.

I was telling my family the other day how a Minecraft/Lego collaboration would be incredible. Minecraft, LEGO texture pack.

Probably not what you want, but I posted about that earlier.

(also this is what I have been spending money on instead of games)

I know of the actual LEGOs. I want a texture pack.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

fireburn95 said:
2 billion dollars seems a bit low doesnt it? Minecraft alone has surely made about 1-1.5 billion by now. And with the new consoles they're gonna make much more, plus ps3+x360+PC+IOS+Android still sells like hotcakes.
Microsoft looking to buy Mojang - maybe, but I doubt they'd accept. They're a success story in the indie world, and pc players of mc will be pissed as hell

$2bn is much more than I expected. Mojang only reported a profit of $128m in 2013 which isn't that big. In comparison, Take Two which makes GTA, Bioshock, Borderlands and loads of other games has a market cap of $1.87bn. 

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

Euphoria14 said:
starcraft said:
Minecraft is the most popular indie-like game out there you'd have to say.

But even then I wouldn't expect the game to sell Xbox One's anymore than other indie exclusives sell Xbox Ones and PS4's (i.e. virtually not at all).

If Microsoft is really doing this I'd say it has more to do with their mobile/integrated platform strategy - that or something else Mojang are working on we don't know about.

I guess it comes back to goals.

People forget that Microsoft is a massive company with its fingers in many pies, not everything vaguely games related is necessarily about making things X1 exclusive. You could well be right - it might be worth Microsoft's while to purchase the company and fully utilize its assets, without being too restrictive over which platforms specific iterations of Minecraft appear on.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Yeesh, can't Microsoft start anything themselves? First they had to buy Nokia SOS their phones could sell, and now this? You should've just bought ID Software during the 90's.

Bet with Xander XT: 

I can beat more games on his 3DS than he can on my PSVita in a month. Loser has to buy the winner a game on his/her handheld Guess who won? http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=193531

Me!