By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Destiny Review Thread - 77 meta

Why are some people lambasting reviewers for reviewing and scoring based on opinion? All reviews of all entertainment forms are based on opinion and the personal tastes of the reviewer. That's why one reviewer's review is never the final word on a game. If a reviewer who thinks gameplay is the be all and end all reviews an interactive story i expect them to score it down because it's not to their taste. All i expect is transparency about a reviewer's preferences going in, so i can assess the review in a proper context.

the last thing i want is a reviewer saying "well its not my kind of game, but apparently people who are into this sort of thing will eat it up so I'll give it a 9.5/10 just to keep them happy." i want the reviewer's honest opinion and for their score to reflect that. If a game is only somewhat enjoyable because it does some things well, but those things are not important to my gaming experience then, and it does other things not so well, or they are deemphasized in the game which i see as pivotal to my gameplay experience the the score should reflect that mix.

having said that i think good reviewers are people with very broad tastes in gaming who like a wide variety of game genres and styles. If someone enjoys a particular type of game and says a game of that type is shit then their opinion has more inherent value to the reader in terms of buying decisions than a person who doesn't like that type of game and thinks the game is shit. But the second reviewer is still entitled to review and score a game according to their own views and not be trolled because their views and preferences don't match with yours.

there are plenty if things wrong with game review methodologies, but reviewers giving scores based on their own opinions and preferences isn't one of them

OT, Destiny in high 80s. I think the story will suffer from the open worldness and persistence of the game, and so the inevitable comparison to the halo story, and what made it so beloved, will see points lost for that.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Around the Network

currently the user reviews on metacritic don't reflect that, currently their are saying it's a poor Boarderlands clone even though Boarderlands is not on the PS4 or XB1, a few have mentioned halo but not gone into any detail but rather oddly the PS4 has the most user reviews out of the 4 consoles it's released on, what's really odd is the fact there are review scores at all as the game is said to take around 30 hours to complete without doing side quests so how or why users are/have submitted a review on a game they are not even a quater way through just doesnt make sense.

Current PC build:

Asus Z97I-Plus, i5 4790K @ 4.6ghz, EVGA GTX 980 ACX 2.0 1377/1853/124%, Corsair Vengence Pro 2400mhz 2x 8192mb, Corsair RM850, Corsair H80i, 120GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD, 750GB Seagate Momentus XT SSHD, 320GB Weston Digital HDD, Corsair 230T, Corsair K50 Raptor, HP XQ500AA mouse, Windows 10 Pro 64bit. iiyama Pro Lite G2773HS 120Hz 1Ms G2G gaming monitor.

80s.

r3tr0gam3r1337 said:

currently the user reviews on metacritic don't reflect that, currently their are saying it's a poor Boarderlands clone even though Boarderlands is not on the PS4 or XB1, a few have mentioned halo but not gone into any detail but rather oddly the PS4 has the most user reviews out of the 4 consoles it's released on, what's really odd is the fact there are review scores at all as the game is said to take around 30 hours to complete without doing side quests so how or why users are/have submitted a review on a game they are not even a quater way through just doesnt make sense.

I wouldn't pay much attention to the user reviews on Metacritic, although I do give a nod to the following "reviewer" who was at least honest with his motive:

"Just gonna give this a 0/10. That is how this site works after all.
I need 150 characters and that is the only reason for this line.

Thank you for reading my review."

I personally think that Destiny will score within the mid- to high-eighties range.  Unless there is something truly groundbreaking with the game (whether it's gameplay, story, design, or so on), I don't see it scoring in the nineties.  Of course, I'll reserve my final verdict for when I've had a chance to play through all of the game's features.

arcelonious said:
r3tr0gam3r1337 said:

I wouldn't pay much attention to the user reviews on Metacritic, although I do give a nod to the following "reviewer" who was at least honest with his motive:

"Just gonna give this a 0/10. That is how this site works after all.
I need 150 characters and that is the only reason for this line.

Thank you for reading my review."

multiplayer is just like halo,with the double jumping and small maps. bungie made the game,so it would make sense that it would be a similar style. the specials and weapons are different of course.

Around the Network

It was 88
But now I'll predict it to be 85
Something fishy is going on......

Pocky Lover Boy! 

oldschoolfool said:

multiplayer is just like halo,with the double jumping and small maps. bungie made the game,so it would make sense that it would be a similar style. the specials and weapons are different of course.

Halo doesnt have double jumping unless youre talking about jetpack ability in Halo reach and halo 4,  From playing the beta the multiplayer played nothing like halo actually.  Destiny fealt very unbalanced and the abilities were op.  Added to that there isnt the same amount of map control because you pick your weapons.  

84. No more, no less.

No troll is too much for me to handle. I rehabilitate trolls, I train people. I am the Troll Whisperer.

JayWood2010 said:
oldschoolfool said:

Halo doesnt have double jumping unless youre talking about jetpack ability in Halo reach and halo 4,  From playing the beta the multiplayer played nothing like halo actually.  Destiny fealt very unbalanced and the abilities were op.  Added to that there isnt the same amount of map control because you pick your weapons.  

He might be thinking about spring jumping which isn't close to a double jump. Not sure what he's talking about

JayWood2010 said:
oldschoolfool said:

I disagree. I've played both and it's very obvious that destiny multiplayer was inspired bye halo. it's as plain as can be. It's not exactly %100 the same if you want to get that technical about it,but it's sure dam similiar in alot of ways. When I played the beta,I instantly thought halo during the first match.