By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - A biased review: Fire Emblem

TheWPCTraveler said:
I3LuEI3omI3eR said:

Picking a favorite Fire Emblem is like picking a favorite child.

That's never been a problem for me, however! ::Sinister Grin::

This is my order. 1. Radiant Dawn 2. Awakening 3. Fire Emblem GBA (Blazing Sword) 4. Path of Radiance 5. Scared Stones 6. Shadow Dragon.

Yeah! Radiant Dawn fans unite!

The original GBA FE was better than Awakening, though. But, Awakening is more fun to play, at least. I'd place Awakening just above The Sacred Stones because the former seems to be based off the latter.

Ugh, I didn't like Radiant Dawn all that much. Sure it feels like it has an epic scope but the story felt clunky and disoriented. They were a lot of units but a good amount of them weren't good units and the sheer amount of units makes character development non-existent. Also, they butchered the support system into generic one liners. 

It's not a bad game, I mean it's an FE game so it's gameplay makes it good regardless. But I feel RD has problems which keeps it from being great. I would rather play any other FE game than RD except maybe Shadow Dragon..

Around the Network
bigtakilla said:
RolStoppable said:

Fire Emblem: Awakening has a separate beginner setting from the regular difficulty selection. Players can choose whether or not they want to play with permanent deaths on their difficulty of choice.

Ttue, but no one plays on that mode. Might as well not play Fire Emblem.

Perma death should ALWAYS be on. I feel that it gives you an attachment to the characters that way.

InnocentSin said:

Perma death should ALWAYS be on. I feel that it gives you an attachment to the characters that way.

^This. If there are no stakes, then the game is not interesting.

TheWPCTraveler said:
I3LuEI3omI3eR said:
bonkeng said:
One of my favorite series of all time. Im currently playing FE awakening now.

Haven't played this one yet. Will play this soon.

This is my order. 1. Radiant Dawn 2. Awakening 3. Fire Emblem GBA (Blazing Sword) 4. Path of Radiance 5. Scared Stones 6. Shadow Dragon.

The original GBA FE was better than Awakening, though. But, Awakening is more fun to play, at least. I'd place Awakening just above The Sacred Stones because the former seems to be based off the latter.

I dunno why Radiant Dawn get such a bad rep from the critics. Sure it was hard  for like the first 8 chapters, but then it gets reasonably normal after that. Besides, if you don't like hard games, go play some candy crush.

Some say the graphics weren't that much of an upgrade from the NGC to the Wii. I disagree. Radiant Dawn Graphics ran so much smoother, the attacks looked so much more epic, they added more animation to the units when battling, and the portraits of the character were more detailed and sharper.

Some complain the story doesn't make sense or there's too much into it. Oh please! Can we stop having an attention span of a 3rd grader for once? I've played it 3 times from start to finish. They pieced it all up at the end.

And if you had more fun with Awakening, shouldn't it ranked higher than Blazing Sword? Blazing Sword's story was better though.

InnocentSin said:
TheWPCTraveler said:
I3LuEI3omI3eR said:

Ugh, I didn't like Radiant Dawn all that much. Sure it feels like it has an epic scope but the story felt clunky and disoriented. They were a lot of units but a good amount of them weren't good units and the sheer amount of units makes character development non-existent. Also, they butchered the support system into generic one liners. 

It's not a bad game, I mean it's an FE game so it's gameplay makes it good regardless. But I feel RD has problems which keeps it from being great. I would rather play any other FE game than RD except maybe Shadow Dragon..

Sure it zig zagged a little bit, but IMO it just makes it into a roller coaster ride! There's so much into it and the ending was such a shocker I did not see that coming on who planned the chain of events from the start.

Yeah they were a lot of units, but hey, in EVERY Fire Emblem game you only want to have 10-15 you use anyway, so all the units didn't bother me. I played the game from start to finish 3 times and used 3 different teams just for fun! I even grinded Fiona on my third playthrough! Also having all the units with you added into the story element. It made me feel how big the stakes are by how many ppl are affected by the war and how many people want to make a difference.

But yeah that Support system was TERRIBLE!! Lmao, all the supports from the characters literally consists of Char 1:"Hey, don't die on me, you mean way to much to me!" Char 2: "You know I won't let you down! The bond we have is too strong!!" ALL of them are generally like that. If anything can bring the score down on such a great game, it's that.

IMHO there's tons of replay value. On the 2nd playthrough you have a chance to recuirt characters you can't on your 1st playthrough, initiate chain of events that put more scenes into the story, and use a different set of characters from your 1st playthrough.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
bigtakilla said:
The_Sony_Girl1 said:
Quick question, which should I buy first? Fire Emblem: Awakening or Pokémon Y?

Depends on what you're in the mood for. If you're looking for a honest to God challenge and testing your strategy then go Fire Emblem. If you're more into collecting and turn based action go pokemon.

Just a warning, Fire Emblem is HARD! As was said in the OP, when someone dies it's for keeps. If the enemy takes out 2 or 3 guys you took to every mission, you will be substituting with weaker characters which makes the game even harder. Starting missions over again will happen quite often if you're trying to beat the game with everyone alive. In the game being this difficult though, actually beating the game is one of the most rewarding experiences you'll have in gaming.

You have been warned!

Fire Emblem: Awakening has a separate beginner setting from the regular difficulty selection. Players can choose whether or not they want to play with permanent deaths on their difficulty of choice.

Lunatic/Casual turns the game into Chess on Steroids! I approve!

I WON A BET AGAINST AZUREN! WOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

:3

I3LuEI3omI3eR said:

InnocentSin said:

Sure it zig zagged a little bit, but IMO it just makes it into a roller coaster ride! There's so much into it and the ending was such a shocker I did not see that coming on who planned the chain of events from the start.

Yeah they were a lot of units, but hey, in EVERY Fire Emblem game you only want to have 10-15 you use anyway, so all the units didn't bother me. I played the game from start to finish 3 times and used 3 different teams just for fun! I even grinded Fiona on my third playthrough! Also having all the units with you added into the story element. It made me feel how big the stakes are by how many ppl are affected by the war and how many people want to make a difference.

But yeah that Support system was TERRIBLE!! Lmao, all the supports from the characters literally consists of Char 1:"Hey, don't die on me, you mean way to much to me!" Char 2: "You know I won't let you down! The bond we have is too strong!!" ALL of them are generally like that. If anything can bring the score down on such a great game, it's that.

IMHO there's tons of replay value. On the 2nd playthrough you have a chance to recuirt characters you can't on your 1st playthrough, initiate chain of events that put more scenes into the story, and use a different set of characters from your 1st playthrough.

I agree, but...the story turns a lot of characters (whom I will not name because spoilers) into Mary Sues and Gary Stus. In other words, it just puts the characters out of reach on being attached to them. Your attachment to them turns from people that you don't want to have to kill into chess pieces that you are afraid of losing. And, the support system could've been so much more, since it was actually rather flexible compared to the GBA FE games (Bonuses in stats already abound when you are within three spaces, compared to hit, crit and dodge bonuses in the GBA FE games)

Now, I'm going to start replying to InnocentSin. Radiant Dawn has a sheer number of characters because in all but one part of the plot, these characters are not recycled. But, doesn't every FE game have a massive cast?

As for why I like FE, it's the difficulty spike at the beginning. A lot would agree that the most difficult part of the game is the very start.

I WON A BET AGAINST AZUREN! WOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

:3