By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Pachter: "There is no place for Nintendo hardware". Thoughts?

Vena said:
Zekkyou said:
That said, i wouldn't want them to stop. They might fall flat on their faces sometimes (WiiU and GC), but other times they make something interesting or new (N64 and Wii). They add a little bit of spice to the industry that gives Sony and MS a second dynamic to consider when making major decisions.

I'm not sure GC was "fall flat" since it was still profitable... the only profitable console of its gen.

PS2 made money. Which PS3 then lost all of IIRC.

But uh, yeah. You misfired here. Reload.

Around the Network
Kane1389 said:
Vena said:
Zekkyou said:
That said, i wouldn't want them to stop. They might fall flat on their faces sometimes (WiiU and GC), but other times they make something interesting or new (N64 and Wii). They add a little bit of spice to the industry that gives Sony and MS a second dynamic to consider when making major decisions.

I'm not sure GC was "fall flat" since it was still profitable... the only profitable console of its gen.

...wat?

GC + Gameboy + software was profitable.

baloofarsan said:
Kane1389 said:
Vena said:
Zekkyou said:

...wat?

GC + Gameboy was profitable.

And PS2, PS1 weren't?

Karma is on its way.

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Someone pays him to say things, he says them. He's just as wrong as any other extremist. Its hard to take someone seriously when all the want a company to do is abandoned their very essence to gain a quick dollar.

Around the Network
Kane1389 said:
baloofarsan said:
Kane1389 said:
Vena said:
Zekkyou said:

...wat?

GC + Gameboy was profitable.

And PS2, PS1 weren't?

GC probably was not a big hit but Gameboy was and lifted profits during that time.

I'll have to disagree cause the Wii U has a place in my hardware collection and it's not collecting dirt. I think it's far better than the Wii and hopefully Nintendo continues to support it.

A lot of people, Pachter included, think of WiiU as competition to X1/PS4. I think that they are wrong, WiiU is complementary to those two consoles, and is generally after a different target market.
People looking for more mature, third party offerings will hardly ever consider buying WiiU, and need to wileigh pros and cons of the other two. That's why MS and Sony act and advertise in such a manner. Others, looking for more specific titles, will go to WiiU, and Nintendo basically has no competition in that field.
Sure, such market is smaller by comparison, but is still viable in the long run.

I liken those to food: MS and Sony operate restaurants, offering soups, meat, fish, pasta, vegetables etc, they get a lot of traffic and make money, but they constantly need to advertise and change menus in order to attract consumers to their side of the street.
Nintendo is a pastry/icecream shop. Sure, you can have some sweets over at MS/Sony, but they are usually generic, while Nintendo has a sweet of every flavor. Some people will visit them after their meal for some quality dessert, some will only eat sweets even without eating in restaurants. And sure, less traffic will be there, but still at a nice profit, instead of closing the store and simply taking a cut from delivering icecream to the restaurants.

There is a place for Nintendo hardware in the current market. And I believe Nintendo knows that as well, therefore they keep plugging along, humming to their own tune, without regard to the other two. And they'll be just fine.

Nintendo to be only console next gen confirmed.

"Games are a trigger for adults to again become primitive, primal, as a way of thinking and remembering. An adult is a child who has more ethics and morals, that's all. When I am a child, creating, I am not creating a game. I am in the game. The game is not for children, it is for me. It is for an adult who still has a character of a child."

Shigeru Miyamoto

I think his opinion is wrong, it would be dangerous for Nintendo to leave hardware.

And also Nintendo has had a long history being profitable on hardware, and that could very well continue for a while.

New handhelds - even the Wii U is likely to pick up in sales.  The amiibo brand wouldn't be as easy to do, if Nintendo wasn't in hardware.

Frankly, you have companies - like 3do that left hardware - maybe they could have been a success in software, they ultimately went bankrupt - but even if they had stuck around I wouldn't have cared - it was more interesting when they had a console. 

Sega was more interesting when they had a console.  I noticed the history of Sega- the book was called "the Rise and Fall of Sega"

It wasn't called the Rise, Fall, and software rebirth of Sega - because frankly it was a fall...

I didn't read the guys article, so i can't comment on it, but I would say someone advising Nintendo to leave hardware, is likely just advising them to fail, for whatever reason.