By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Lazy Americans.....‘We’re a Movement Now': Fast Food Workers Strike in 150 Cities (edit) OP is poor, don't act like I am being all high and mighty!

They deserve more, not the amount theyre asking for, but an increase for sure. This "movement" wont work though, happened a year or 2 ago and nothing came of it either.

Pretty surprised in the amount of "well I did this" or "I know a person" arguments being used here XD those never cease to amuse me.

Around the Network
LiquorandGunFun said:

low education deserves low pay. plus its not supposed to be a career. it is for experience.

Im all for replacing these peeps with robots.

And then congress needs to raise taxes to pay for taking care of all of these people (not that many of them aren't on some kind of state/federal assistance already)

Plus, automation will come whether the wages are low or high. Machine terminals like that one are a one-time investment up front and "work" for pennies an hour after that.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Mr Khan said:

And then congress needs to raise taxes to pay for taking care of all of these people (not that many of them aren't on some kind of state/federal assistance already)

Plus, automation will come whether the wages are low or high. Machine terminals like that one are a one-time investment up front and "work" for pennies an hour after that.

You are absolutely right.  I would much rather pay $.25 more for a hamburger so that someone can make a living wage, than to subsize these highly profitable corporation's low payrolls through government assistance. 

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-11-13/how-mcdonald-s-and-wal-mart-became-welfare-queens.html

spurgeonryan said:
They went on strike so they could take a break from their hard work of standing and flipping burgers, taking out trash and talking over an intercom. Oh, and lets not forget the horrible task of pressing buttons, looking at the menu, swiping cards, and talking to humans.

Why would you choose to have 4 or 5 kids, if you can't provide for them? Seems rather irresponsible to me.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

Around the Network

Spurge...

You da real MVP!!!

spurgeonryan said:
Mr Khan said:
Your compassion for your fellow man never ceases to amaze me, Spurge.

1. I have a min...well had one. I worked my butt off to become a Manager in about a years time. And not just one step up, I jumped three positions. I am short, balding, aging, not in great shape, not funny or really that smart and nothing really that special. But I worked my butt off with three kids at home, working nights to get a where I am at now. I was a waiter a decade ago. I did not sit around and cry in my warm milk that I was making min wage in Washington State, no I joined the military to better my life and my families life. I went to college, which most companies will pay for, including Walmart and the Military.

2. Forget these people who had kids when they were 15, smoked, did drugs, got tatoos, drank, etc who barely can get a min wage job while barely passing a piss test, and then causing all sorts of trouble for the employers who had to look under every crack to find you. I can barely get any workers. Why? They do not show up, they are on drugs, they get the job and realize they have to work and not just stand around playing videogames waiting for their mommy to give them lunch money.

3. Why can't these people do this! Why do they need a 5-7 dollar raise? Work hard and most places give you a raise yearly.

4. Compassion? I help my employees daily! I donate money to people, I help people all the time. This is not compassion, it is just not being blind to the laziness of the American society. Want something for nothing.

1. Not everybody is Military abled, not everybody can get Managerial positions either due to lack of Education or complete Bias from bosses. Some people work extremely hard and get absolutely nowhere

2. *rolls eye* labeling everybody that's nice. Many people mess up in early age, should be pay for it for the rest of their lives?

3. ummmm No, most places I know do not give a 1 dollar raise but maybe 1 quarter to 2. Because the prices are rising Exponentionally, Healthcare is extremely expensive even with insurance.

4. Want something for nothing? How about decent wages where people can actually Afford Healthcare and get a better education without going into Student Loans, or how about families that can barely afford food for 1 child.

These jobs are not meant or for making a living for a family. Minimum wage is designed to for a single person to be able to make it by. And it's enough to do that. If you have 3 kids, don't work a minimum wage job.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

spurgeonryan said:
They went on strike so they could take a break from their hard work of standing and flipping burgers, taking out trash and talking over an intercom. Oh, and lets not forget the horrible task of pressing buttons, looking at the menu, swiping cards, and talking to humans.

One of the most ignorant things I've ever read.

Working fast food is one of the most stressful jobs I've ever had and easily the worst.  I'll never go back to that as long as I can help it and I'm not saying that because of the pay.  It's a horrible job.  Part of that is because of the way people treat you, as seen in the quoted post, as though they are better people because they make more money.  

What do you do in your job, spurge, that gives you the right to look down on other people?  

outlawauron said:
These jobs are not meant or for making a living for a family. Minimum wage is designed to for a single person to be able to make it by. And it's enough to do that. If you have 3 kids, don't work a minimum wage job.

Some people don't have a choice, a job is a job. If anything we have a Lack of Jobs. Minimum Wage isn't even enough for a single peson to make it by, you don't get healthcare if you get into an accident or if the Ambulance comes to get you for whatever reason you're in a few thousand dollar debt. The price of Education, and Living Expenses is rising. This is not including people who have Mental illnesses which makes it harder for them to get by, I know a few people who have this problem and it's SICKENING what they have to go through to pay off there enourmous debts because of the crappy American healthcare system.

You can't make it by on your own with just Minimum Wage. You need somebody helping you or Subsidizing you if you want to make it by Alone.