By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Lazy Americans.....‘We’re a Movement Now': Fast Food Workers Strike in 150 Cities (edit) OP is poor, don't act like I am being all high and mighty!

spurgeonryan said:
Mr Khan said:
Your compassion for your fellow man never ceases to amaze me, Spurge.

I have a min...well had one. I worked my butt off to become a Manager in about a years time. And not just one step up, I jumped three positions. I am short, balding, aging, not in great shape, not funny or really that smart and nothing really that special. But I worked my butt off with three kids at home, working nights to get a where I am at now. I was a waiter a decade ago. I did not sit around and cry in my warm milk that I was making min wage in Washington State, no I joined the military to better my life and my families life. I went to college, which most companies will pay for, including Walmart and the Military.

Forget these people who had kids when they were 15, smoked, did drugs, got tatoos, drank, etc who barely can get a min wage job while barely passing a piss test, and then causing all sorts of trouble for the employers who had to look under every crack to find you. I can barely get any workers. Why? They do not show up, they are on drugs, they get the job and realize they have to work and not just stand around playing videogames waiting for their mommy to give them lunch money.

Why can't these people do this! Why do they need a 5-7 dollar raise? Work hard and most places give you a raise yearly.

Compassion? I help my employees daily! I donate money to people, I help people all the time. This is not compassion, it is just not being blind to the laziness of the American society. Want something for nothing.

I might not have expirienced that kind of haardshipp myself, but I live by example. My mom grew up dirt port where my grandparents could not aford food some days. She managed to get into the cheapest college available in my country and had to work in the cafetiria to help pay it and to get something to eat. This was just before my brother was bourned or after I'm not 100% sure. But it did not go well for her, bad grades due to missing school alot cus sometimes she could not even get to school by lack of funds, or my brother got sick. It took her  awhile since she studied medicine with a kid and half way she had me to make things worst. My mom never gave up even thou it was very hard for her. I still remember as akid, how bad we used to live when my mon finished and had to do 4 years of residency where she got paid almost nothing cuz that still studying and my father also dint make much but he still suported us. But dad worked his ass of in construction and learned new things like soldering and carpintary to earn more and eventually he got a decent job and my mom started to work with her two specialtys.  My brother is 6 years older than me, so by the time things got good for our family he was almost on his own cuz he had a kid early, so he dint really had as good an oportunity as me or my sisters since he had to work real hard. He might not have gone to college, but he did a few couses to improve his salary, He made tough decicions like moving out of new jersey to pensylvania where the cost of living is much lower and was able to get his own house. So it I agrre with you that people if they work hard they can achive many things. 

I myself, worked as a customer service representative untill I fiished college and it was awfull. All I did was get yelled at fo no reason and smiling at them cuz I had to. It was deminig, but it was in no way hard. And I knew that its not a job to suport a family and that I had to quit to find something better unlike many others who thought that was fine and covered their bills and some luxuries. Sometimes people think thats all they amount to and dont even try to improove themselfs. They do not deserve to be given hadouts for not trying althou some do try and fail, thats a minority and we have to think about the greater good.

While I do agree with some here though. Minimun wage is sometimes borderline abusive. Its the poor and uneducated who get taken advantage the most. I highly doubt that if mccdonals raised its wage to 10/hr they would stop making billions a year. Like it was said before the gap in welth is to hig in the US with 10% of the people controling 90% of the money. Worst thing is that those rich people dont spend enough to get the econmy rolling. If MW was increased most likely money will go right back in their pockets cuz is on them that they spend it on and help the economy while making them richer. Althou it would help more to disperse some of that wealth.

Another is that people keep mentioning the 50's. The problem with times now is the disprortional amount of people in theese types of jobs. Before there where not many positions where you do not need skills, before one family member provided for a family. Now with all theese imigrants who flooded that specific market and people who dont get educated and are unable to do anything else, they had to increase the amount of jobs of that level, but also had to cut the salary for them.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Around the Network

Has anyone considered the possibility of developing a workforce based on domesticated gorillas and chimps? Then no one would ever have to work again. I think these delightful creatures would be more than up to the task, and could probably handle most management and accounting work as well.

Hoodieninja said:
Keegs79 said:
Hoodieninja said:

1. It all depends but those prices shouldn't be very drastic, paying an extra 25 cents so somebody can earn 3 more dollars is a fair Increase. it doesn't screw everyone in fact RAISING the minimum has been proven to BOOST the economy is done properly.

2. They're much better than working at a Fast food restaurant that's for sure.

3. Again just because a job is Providing for Medical expenses doesn't mean it has to be a Career Job. Many first world countries provide very good Health-care. The U.S. system is by far the worst and we PAY more MONEY than any other country with LITTLE to NO BENEFIT.

1. How can it boost the economy when it can very well make people lose their jobs. Jobs often been cut because of wage increases and some businesses could potentially have to close because they can support the minimum wage. That would be pretty drastic but they would have to cut corners. They would have to increase the price of the fast food and that would make people come less to buy which then makes less profit with those higher wages. Economics!

You want to raise the minimum wage, that affects all wages. You don't understand. No skills, No education, No risk, No experience doesn't deserve the earning. If they don't want the jobs, they can quite and get another one. They are NOT FORCED to work those jobs. Because you don't  need anything to do the job means your easily replaceable. Your expendable. You couldn't be more so compared to any other job.

2. Much better? How would you know? I know from experience and they are!

3. This is the US so other countries don't apply. If you think we are the worst than go ask Canada which has free health care but many who often come here for healthcare.

Quote from McDonald's founder I found interesting...

The way we have tried to bring our employees together is to motivate them, since the fact is, they do need motivation. The way you motivate them is with wage and perks and things that you give them. You take all that away when the government forces people to increase the wages."

You want to be a Saint? Is that it because you can't increase wages without consequences. We all will be impacted and that includes every single thing from gas to a stupid candy bar. It is all looped together. Its easy playing the Saint.

1. You're talking about Absolutes. Again there's more than enough money to go around for those JOB makers Bush has been supposedly easing the RICHES burden for years. What you're talking about are Exceptions.

2. it doesn't take a Genuis to figure that out, they're is more than enough info on the internet about Navy Bootcamp and the Average pay they get Monthly and the benefits they get.

3. WRONG, only the rich come to the U.S. for Healthcare.

4. Again, even if you raise the MINIMUM it just means they'll be able to get more eventually ANYWAYS.

Again no, if that is the CASE than things SHOULD of stayed Stagnant, PRICES have been RIsing REGARDLESS of Minimum. Raising the Minimum doesn't automatically equate higher prices though it can. Again there is enough proof and Studies that when other First world countries RAISED the Minimum it BOOSTED the economy.

1. This isn't Bush's era. What does that have to do with it? Obama has done everything he can to make taxes go up and wanted special taxes on fast food.

2. If you had an ounce a genius you would know that nobody refers to military pay by any means by the hour. You should have accepted you were wrong. You want to win every argument? I will add that a lot of these people can join the military. If they want a better living, get a better job. It is stupid to assume that fast food is the best they can ever do. A lot of those working fast food are more fit than people I know who struggled doing PT and you don't need to be a genius to join.

3 Your talking out your ass. I knew someone from Canada that took his wife here to the States and he wasn't rich.

4. More? How would you get more when it will cause inflation. Prices will rise.

Screw it. Give them that 15 dollar raise to everyone. That will change the whole system of pay for everyone and then you can see how things are screwed over and then I can tell you I told you so rather than just all this speculation what possibly could happen.

What business is that of yours, let them try for better conditions like we all do at times, it's their right to at least have a go

spurgeonryan said:

I worked my butt off to become a Manager in about a years time. And not just one step up, I jumped three positions. I am short, balding, aging, not in great shape, not funny or really that smart and nothing really that special. 

Your not this guy are you? : p

Around the Network
spurgeonryan said:
etking said:

If you are coming from a poor family, you have no chance to go to school because you have to struggle 24/7 with other serious and sometimes life-threatening issues, like mental illness, food, general safety, health problems, social problems, money and criminality. Often friends and family can make this situation even worse because they will get you deeper into the mess.

This may be hard to hard to imagine to someone coming from a more wealthy family but most of them would not survive 24 hours when being put into a poor man's life.

I passed high school because I worked hard to do so. My mom had no money for college. I went with a grant. I was dirt poor my whole life. Food stamps and lived in a drafty mouse infested house. Other than when I was in the military, I have been well below poverty my whole life. Do not give me this crap! I have three kids that I provide for by myself. Have not heard from the mom in a year. Even then she never gave anything but a lecture over the phone how I should raise my kids that I have full custody of now.

Don't anyone dare say they have such a horrible life and they just cant get anywhere! Make something happen! I have lived in Apartments, had crappy cars, depended on people I did not want to, and did things I did not want to. Throwing a fit and trying to make the government and your employer who already struggles to pay you 7 dollars more an hour is just classic American bull crap! Especially these days.

I can't understand you. Sorry to be rude, but your life sucked and you claim it to be good and the damn way to go. You would be born in France, your minimun wage would have been higher, and your university about free of charge... no, not free, in fact you would have been paid because you are poor. How is that an horrible thing ? People bought ferrari out of your misery.

Life is about power balance. Power of money, power of union, power of politics, etc. Why should anyone abdicate the little power he has to people that are so happy to use theirs for their own benefit ? The Irak war direct cost is a freaking 1.100 billions dollars. How fucked up is the power balance for that spending 1.1 trillions is a priority compared to better wages for people that don't have the skill, will or opportunity to go to the university. And what if anyone had it, every single people in USA went to university ? There would still be the same number of people selling burger for 7.5$ an hour, have hard life, that would definitely not change.

Hoodieninja said:
outlawauron said:

Which is why minimum wage isn't the same in every state! Minimum wage in California is $9/hour and is going up to $10/hour in 2016.

I do agree that the national number needs to go up for a more universal wage increase, but $15/hour is completely absurd to me.

I do not have much of an argument there, I personally don't see that $15 is honestly that bad of a thing either.

for 10 Dollars full time you should get about 800 for every 2 weeks

for 15 dollars you should get about 1200 for every 2 weeks

I'll just say this, I think family buisnesses should get a certain exception or Tax Break. When Companies hire people they only enough people for the Job. I doubt let's say Walmart the number one Chain in department stores will hurt. Let's just say the Ceo Earns a profit of 10 million anually will it honestly be that bad for them to earn 7-8 million for a Higher Minimum and a Happier Staff?

Anyways Walmarts CEO earns about 35 million anually. I doubt that Minimum Wage will hurt his Paycheck that badly if he decided to pay them more.

If 15 dollar seems like it's too much then maybe I'll agree, but Honestly I don't think we will ever get the Honest truth about what the CEO's income will turn out to be if the Minimum at Walmart was raised to 15.

This mindset is just so flawed. They're not going to make less money. If there's a change that's going to hurt their bottomline, CEO is going to cut costs or raise prices to make up for it. To think that people are just going to be ok with making less money because they already have enough is just naive.

No one is even discussing how it'll effect other industries. All the current jobs that pay $13-20/hour are also going to have to increase the wages of their employees, because why would a trained and educated person make the same as the dropout making french fries?

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

outlawauron said:
Hoodieninja said:
outlawauron said:

Which is why minimum wage isn't the same in every state! Minimum wage in California is $9/hour and is going up to $10/hour in 2016.

I do agree that the national number needs to go up for a more universal wage increase, but $15/hour is completely absurd to me.

I do not have much of an argument there, I personally don't see that $15 is honestly that bad of a thing either.

for 10 Dollars full time you should get about 800 for every 2 weeks

for 15 dollars you should get about 1200 for every 2 weeks

I'll just say this, I think family buisnesses should get a certain exception or Tax Break. When Companies hire people they only enough people for the Job. I doubt let's say Walmart the number one Chain in department stores will hurt. Let's just say the Ceo Earns a profit of 10 million anually will it honestly be that bad for them to earn 7-8 million for a Higher Minimum and a Happier Staff?

Anyways Walmarts CEO earns about 35 million anually. I doubt that Minimum Wage will hurt his Paycheck that badly if he decided to pay them more.

If 15 dollar seems like it's too much then maybe I'll agree, but Honestly I don't think we will ever get the Honest truth about what the CEO's income will turn out to be if the Minimum at Walmart was raised to 15.

This mindset is just so flawed. They're not going to make less money. If there's a change that's going to hurt their bottomline, CEO is going to cut costs or raise prices to make up for it. To think that people are just going to be ok with making less money because they already have enough is just naive.

No one is even discussing how it'll effect other industries. All the current jobs that pay $13-20/hour are also going to have to increase the wages of their employees, because why would a trained and educated person make the same as the dropout making french fries?

This is what causes inflation. Cuz if they win, then by default the more skilled workes will also win, since if they strike, the econmy will collapse in a matter of weeks or even less. If the burguer flipers strike and loose their jobs, only they loose cuz someone else is going to be happy with a job that pays that little so the position will be filled instanly.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

I fully sympathize with people working and struggling to make ends meet. The one question I have is when they say they have a child or even multiple children in their 20s. I am closing in on 30 and am in a position where having a child would be manageable financially. Thus far have elected not as want to as want to be in a position can provide for a child. 10 years ago would have been a disaster for me and any professional aspirations I had. Even 5 years ago would have been a major challenge. Is it cold to say most people should put off having kids until they get into their 30s?

Nymeria said:
I fully sympathize with people working and struggling to me ends meet. The one question I have is when they say they have a child or even multiple children in their 20s. I am closing in on 30 and am in a position where having a child would be manageable financially. Thus far have elected not as want to as want to be in a position can provide for a child. 10 years ago would have been a disaster for me and any professional aspirations I had. Even 5 years ago would have been a major challenge. Is it cold to say most people should put off having kids until they get into their 30s?

It's tricky because the side of the aisle that adamantly opposes minimum wage hikes is also the side that howls about family planning being a sin.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.