By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - "New" 3DS is a Stop-gap

GoldenTriforce said:
Please rewrite this article. You are writing this as if you have proof but it is a matter of opinion. As well I would like to respond that it may be Nintendo setting up for a long life time for their platform. 2016 is to early for a console selling as well as the 3DS, 2017 maybe,, but most likely 2018 along with the hardware (home console).

It's not an article, it's a post on a discussion forum. By it's very nature, it's an opinion.  One does not need to state an opinion is an opinion.  3DS is trending downward and is losing buzz in an increasingly fast-advancing segment (handheld devices).  Nintendo needed this New 3DS, and it will need an entirely new system sooner than later.  The brilliance of the N3DS is tha they will be able to port Wii games to give it content while focusing main teams on Wii U and future systems for 2016 and beyond.

Around the Network
WhiteEaglePL said:
It will be 2017.......obviously.

And NOT a tablet.

I wouldn't bet on either points.

I think the rumors may be true, that nintendos next hardware will be a console and protable, thus, they're releasing this to tide over.

Nintendo Fusion 2016.
It's almost here.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

entirely new handheld is definitely not coming anytime soon, they wouldn't waste resources for such an updated hardware of the same handheld if that was the case

maybe they added more power in order to encourage ''new 3DS'' exclusives and Wii ports by 3rd parties?

and I really hope you are righ about supporting WiiU with more games as part of their plan

don't mind my username, that was more than 10 years ago, I'm a different person now, amazing how people change ^_^

Around the Network
GoldenTriforce said:
Please rewrite this article. You are writing this as if you have proof but it is a matter of opinion. As well I would like to respond that it may be Nintendo setting up for a long life time for their platform. 2016 is to early for a console selling as well as the 3DS, 2017 maybe,, but most likely 2018 along with the hardware (home console).

Late 2016 is perfect and the 3DS is selling a little above average at best. I agree this will recreate momentum, but don't ham it up.

I`m beggining to think that NEW 3DS became a reality because 2DS just didn`t do what Nintendo wanted.
3DS sales have fallen and Nintendo needs something to turn things around.

It`s too soon for a new console, but not for a revamped system that could really make a living of Wii and GC ports.
Wii ports are easy. Lots of great 1st party and even 3rd party content to port to NEW 3DS.
GC ports because, well... there were none for Wii U despite WW being a financial success on Wii U.
What i mean is, there`s got to be a reason why we didn`t see more GC remakes after WW, despite them taking so little time to port and being cheap to do so.
My guess, Nintendo can`t shift resources from the 3DS to the NEW 3DS because that would imply creating droughts on both sides. So, if Nintendo brings a lot of ports from GC and Wii, they can fill the holes.

That way, they can keep selling the 3DS and even increase software sales without allocating a lot of human resources for the 3DS. Resources that it needs now and is going to need in a year or so to start creating games for the new consoles.

Both DSi and Game Boy Color had lifespans of about 2 years (give or take) before the 3DS and Game Boy Advance came out.

I'd expect the same here ... new Nintendo fusion portable coming in 2016.

By 2016 a handheld capable of Wii U graphics should be possible, the Tegra K1 Nvidia tablet is already out today and that costs $300 with a really high resolution 8 inch screen.

Give two more years for that type of tech to scale down in cost and Nintendo will likely use a smaller/cheaper screen and you have something probably with some serious horsepower for about $200-$220 IMO.

spemanig said:
GoldenTriforce said:

He doesn't have to rewrite anything. If you were able to deduce that what he was saying was all a matter of opinion, don't insult the intelligence of other users by implying that they can't do the same and need more of his help to figure that out. No one here is stupid enough to think that he was stating fact.

EDIT: Also, no. 2016 is not too early. The GBA had a three year lifecycle and sold 80m. 3DS sold half in 3 years.

Please do not compare any handheld to the GBA, there was literally no competition for it, 3DS has to deal with mobile phones

ExplodingBlock said:
spemanig said:
GoldenTriforce said:

He doesn't have to rewrite anything. If you were able to deduce that what he was saying was all a matter of opinion, don't insult the intelligence of other users by implying that they can't do the same and need more of his help to figure that out. No one here is stupid enough to think that he was stating fact.

EDIT: Also, no. 2016 is not too early. The GBA had a three year lifecycle and sold 80m. 3DS sold half in 3 years.

Please do not compare any handheld to the GBA, there was literally no competition for it, 3DS has to deal with mobile phones

All the more reason for there to be a new portable in 2016. Mobile phones and tablets are too big of a threat for Nintendo to combat with even just the New 3DS.