By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo/Iwata's Bias Against The West

If Iwata is indeed a micro-manager I think it's time for him to step back. Especially with his health issues. He should not be president of NOA.

Around the Network

Tagged

It seems strange to me that Iwata's approval rating when up last quarter even with abysmal WiiU numbers and declining 3DS sales. I guess investors bought into all the "Mario Kart saved the WiiU!!!" hype. I don't know if he needs to be fired but it's clear that he needs to figure out the North American market. They could even go Sony's route and find an American tech genius like Cerny to design their next console.

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

Soundwave said:
nomad said:
It wasn't Nintendo's decision to sell Rare, Nintendo only had some stakes in the co. It became available on the market and multiple companies were looking to buy including Nintendo, Yamauchi didn't want to pay the asking price, and Microsoft just so happen make the highest bid.

You can't say Nintendo broke 2nd party relations because it was 2nd parties who were looking for greener pastures. 2nd Parties come and go, SK were on other platforms before Gamecube. Their relationships aren't so different from Platinum Games, PG signed contracts w/Ninty but are also free to sign contracts with others co. such as Microsoft.

Nintendo had first right of refusal on Rare when the Stampers were retiring, they refused, then Rare had to be shopped around. Nintendo negotiated the sale with Microsoft. 

Nintendo made a low offer for Rare. And the negotiations were about the sale of Nintendo's stakes, it was a stock buyback. Perhaps I should have went straight to the point. In the op, you're making it sound like Ninty/Iwata were pushing for the sale of Rare to support the anti-west bias narrative (sure, there may be some bias, but not as deliberate as it may seem), but Nintendo never had majority control. Once MS was set to buy Rare, everything else was just business.

You also made it look like Nintendo was the one moving away from western 2nd parties, 2nd parties are temporary and, what happened is fairly common.

DerNebel said:
nomad said:
It wasn't Nintendo's decision to sell Rare, Nintendo only had some stakes in the co. It became available on the market and multiple companies were looking to buy including Nintendo, Yamauchi didn't want to pay the asking price, and Microsoft just so happen make the highest bid.

You can't say Nintendo broke 2nd party relations because it was 2nd parties who were looking for greener pastures. 2nd Parties come and go, SK were on other platforms before Gamecube. Their relationships aren't so different from Platinum Games, PG signed contracts w/Ninty but are also free to sign contracts with others co. such as Microsoft.

Only some stakes? They owned 49% of the stake.

I should have ommited "only", but 49% is some.

Around the Network

Wow. I've always known all of this, but seeing it all laid out together like this just emphasizes how bad things are.

Fusioncode said:

It seems strange to me that Iwata's approval rating when up last quarter even with abysmal WiiU numbers and declining 3DS sales. I guess investors bought into all the "Mario Kart saved the WiiU!!!" hype. I don't know if he needs to be fired but it's clear that he needs to figure out the North American market. They could even go Sony's route and find an American tech genius like Cerny to design their next console.

It's so funny. Most of the time, gamers know more than investors... I wonder what would happen if this industry is ruled by gamers instead of business man/devs.

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

Selling Rare to Microsoft in September 2002.

Around those days Rare's talented devs who worked on GoldenEye, Perfect Dark and DKC had already left Rare to start up their own studios Free Radical. Nintendo bought 49% of Rare but Rare wanted 100%, Nintendo said no because: 1. Rare started to suck and 2. Microsoft always had more money to buy anything they want more than Ninty.

Now you may say 'b ... bu ... but Retro!", but Retro opened in 1999 was supposed to supply Nintendo with *multiple* games in genres like action/sports/shooters at once. That was Howard Lincoln's brainchild.

Retro was supported by Miyamoto. In fact, its thanks to Miyamoto that we even got Metroid Prime cause he was impressed by Retro's "action adventure" engine so he trusted them with the Metroid license. After its succes Metroid Prime Hunters got made by some team of Nintendo of America with Retro's help, even MK7 was made with support from Retro. 

Other games like Mario Sports & Party games get made by mostly western studios (owned by Ninty) even the original Star Fox + Adventures + Command and Luigis Mansion 2 were all or in collaboration made by/with western folks. It's not so much of bias, its just the way it is.

Look at Sony, do you think they want to lose the fans of their homeland? because theyre so biased against Japansese devs? No Sony just has more luck and does better bussiness with western studios and Nintendo with Japanese studios. Ninty owns just as much Japanese studios as they own Western but i agree that they usually prefer their Japanese side, like Sony their western side.

Fusioncode said:
It's interesting to note that before the 7th Generation, Japan was the center of the gaming landscape. Their wants and needs were put front and center and that's one of the reasons Microsoft struggled so heavily out of the gate with the Xbox. In Gen 7 though there was a huge paradigm shift in gaming. With the explosion of the 360 all of a sudden Western audiences had taken the forefront of gaming. This is also thanks to Japan's growing obsession with mobile. It took Sony a while to catch up but now they're also focused primarily on the Western market as well and Japan is merely an afterthought for them.

And guess in which generation all that product devaluing crap like DLC, console DRM,  online activation etc... appeared?  I can understand why some people dont like western studios/games/mentality.

Tbh I have no problem with Nintendo buying western studios etc as long as they endoctrinate them with Nintendo mentality.

JazzB1987 said:
Fusioncode said:
It's interesting to note that before the 7th Generation, Japan was the center of the gaming landscape. Their wants and needs were put front and center and that's one of the reasons Microsoft struggled so heavily out of the gate with the Xbox. In Gen 7 though there was a huge paradigm shift in gaming. With the explosion of the 360 all of a sudden Western audiences had taken the forefront of gaming. This is also thanks to Japan's growing obsession with mobile. It took Sony a while to catch up but now they're also focused primarily on the Western market as well and Japan is merely an afterthought for them.

And guess in which generation all that product devaluing crap like DLC, console DRM,  online activation etc... appeared?  I can understand why some people dont like western studios/games/mentality.

Hasn't Nintendo jumped on the DLC bandwagon as well? And don't forget about Nintendo's obsession with region locking their systems even though it's an outdated and draconian policy that only serves to annoy people. 

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!