By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Firmware 2.0: Themes coming, unlimited 60min share plays sessions....

We may just be finally about to get the first worthy firmware update fr the PS4.

During the official playstatin podcast they let slip that Themes will be coming in 2.0 (around 1:16min in)and Gamespot informs that share play will be limited to 60mins per session but you have an unlimited number of sessions.

There are also rumors that along with the youtube share we will be getting a media app and DLNA for the PS4 in 2.0 as well.

So question is, when do you guys think this update comes out, and what else do you think will be in it. Sony typically never announces a firmware update more than two weeks or so before they release it. So it may be end of this month.... or God forbid if they take their whole "this fall" thing seriously it amy be coming some time in december or just around the launch of destiny or maybe even around TGS. I have it pegged at destiny week.

edit: 

The skinny on share play from Yoshida. Sounding really awesome!

• each session lasts 60mins
  • no work required on the part of developers
  • you don't have to have the game
  • will work on every PS4 game
  • unlimited number of sessions
  • you can aquire trophies to your account while playing over share play
  • your saves will be on your own console so if you ever decide to get the game you can continue from whereever you left off.
  • The host can't do anything but terminate the session while you are remote playing. Cause basically the hosts PS4 runs the game and sends out the video stream to you.
  • not limited to competitive multiplayer games. Basicallyyour friends can play any game you have on your console.

Around the Network

Good, now where are the folders?

I hope those come soon.

The 60 min thing is stupid if u have unlimited sessions

Azerth said:

True, but I am guessing there is a reason they did it that way. What they didn't say was how much time has to elapse between each session. I won't be surprised if your unlimited sessions are limited to 2/3 sessions every 24hrs. Cause it would be stupid on their part if they impose no restrictions. You can basically buy a game and have 10 of your friends play it and complete it lol.

Azerth said:

It's made to prevent abuse : The Host would otherwise be able to share is PS4 (while sleeping for example) with his pal being able to finish a game he doesn't own.

Around the Network
Intrinsic said:
Azerth said:

True, but I am guessing there is a reason they did it that way. What they didn't say was how much time has to elapse between each session. I won't be surprised if your unlimited sessions are limited to 2/3 sessions every 24hrs. Cause it would be stupid on their part if they impose no restrictions. You can basically buy a game and have 10 of your friends play it and complete it lol.

Sony said there was no limit to the number of sessions you could have 

Sweep said:
Azerth said:

It's made to prevent abuse : The Host would otherwise be able to share is PS4 (while sleeping for example) with his pal being able to finish a game he doesn't own.

yahh pretty much that.

i could abuse the hell out of it if unlimited, ill take "donations" to my paypall

Sweep said:
Intrinsic said:
Azerth said:

Sony said there was no limit to the number of sessions you could have 

True, but they never mentioned anything about how much time has to pass between sessions. 

If they don't impose some sort of restriction, what stops you from having 4 friends play and finish your copy of the last of us (as long as you can come every hour and send them another invite). There has to be limits to how many sessions you have per day. Hell just typing this ways to abuse the system are already going through my head. I could take $5 from every friend of mine that wants to play a game and just let them finish it.  People will abuse the hell outta it if they don't impose some sort of daily restriction.  

All they have to do is say 16mins between sessions. Doesn't sound like anything, but having to wait 16mins between every session will deter share campers. 

Is this solely streaming based then? If so, I feel like latency will make it impractical for multiplayer gaming or even certain types of games such as twitch shooters. I have a 15 Mbps cable connection and always played wired but latency was still a huge issue for me when trying out Sniper Elite V2 on PlayStation Now.

jakemania said:
Is this solely streaming based then? If so, I feel like latency will make it impractical for multiplayer gaming or even certain types of games such as twitch shooters. I have a 15 Mbps cable connection and always played wired but latency was still a huge issue for me when trying out Sniper Elite V2 on PlayStation Now.

Yeah. Its most definately only streaming based. At least for all we know so far. I am guessing its another security issue.