By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Firmware 2.0: Themes coming, unlimited 60min share plays sessions....

jakemania said:

It's definitely intriguing for sure. It will be nice to share with just anyone. I do miss the policy of having your digital games on 2 consoles and being able to play them both simultaneously like with the PS3 though! I feel like a lot of people just think they're going to be able to play a game like Destiny for free without having to buy it, but I'm not sure how realistic that will be.

I'm mainly interested to hear more about how it works. If you can hop onto a single player game to help a friend on a hard part, that would imply you're just steaming directly from their console and are basically controlling it, right? But, if you are going to play a multiplayer game with them, everything will need to be separate so that you can each control your own character. Each scenario seems very different to me, the latter feeling like a free 60-minute PlayStation Now trial with unlimited sessions. Regardless, I hope it comes out soon so we can all see it in its practical application :). Glad to see Sony is finally adding new features with their updates, that's for sure.

Edit: I wonder if this will make it easy to boost trophies? It seems like if a friend was nearing the completion of a difficult trophy that they could just invite you in when they earn it so that you both get it.

I never really thought about the multiplayer part though and you are dead right. Its pretty much a completely different thing. There is no way you can play multiplayer with your friends unless your friend has some portion of the game installed on their own system. So I am guessing this share thing only really works with you basically handing over controller input to your friend for primarily single player games. Cause anything that requires two view points will either need the friend to also run the game off thier console or for a dev to code it in... kinda like split screen just that in this case the split is being streamed off to your friend.

next gen split screen