By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Golf Club runs at 1080p/PS4 and 720p/Xbox One.

PS4 vs Xbox One Resolution-gate ghost re-appears and this time around via HB Studio's upcoming golf golf simulator, The Golf Club. The game will run at 1080p on Playstation 4 and 720p on Xbox One, as per the details we received from HB Studios' LorinB.

LorinB stated that the development team were unable to get The Glof Club run at higher resolution than 720p because "they couldn't get the framerates we wanted at higher resolutions."

However, LorinB added both PS4 and Xbox One versions of The Golf Club will have graphics equivalent to the "High Settings seen in early access on PC".

Furthermore, LorinB stated PS4 version of The Golf Club runs at 30-40 FPS, whereas Xbox One version runs at 30-45 FPS. LorinB clarifies:

"Do not get bogged down in this "FPS" number. These framerates run very smoothly on the consoles. Unlike many games, we have separate threads for the input and the graphics rendering on the consoles."

"So while the graphics threads render at the above numbers, the input thread runs at 60 frames per second on both consoles.  So overall performance feels higher than what you may be imagining the number 30-40 fps represents.  Framerates on the PC are not on separate threads, but they are also not capped."

The Golf Club is scheduled to launch on August 19, 2014 for PS4, Xbox One and PC. Share your opinion with us in the comment section below.

The PS5 Exists. 

Around the Network

This is just embarrassing now.

Well that makes sense, the xbox is less powerful

Really? Golf? Come on... :/

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Honestly, who cares. Why would some hypothetical person, who was never interested in golf at all, suddenly be interested in it to point out some resolution thing?

I dunno, this seems all pointless imo.

Around the Network

It's to be expected at this point.

Smear-Gel said:
Honestly, who cares. Why would some hypothetical person, who was never interested in golf at all, suddenly be interested in it to point out some resolution thing?

Everybody cared last generation when the differences were smaller so why would they stop caring now?

The PS5 Exists. 

Bad optimization. There's literally nothing holding this back from being a 7th gen title. And I doubt they recorded this on an Xbox One.

CGI-Quality said:
Smear-Gel said:

It's not necessarily about golf. These kinds of comparisons happened all last gen (with systems closer in power). Regardless of the genre, why should they stop now?

Because it's Xbox on the receiving end now, obviously. Quantitative differences in multiplats no longer matter now that Xbox no longer has the upper hand in analytical comparisons. 

I think there is a valid point that in many cases the differences have less impact on enjoyment than was the case with PS360 multiplats. But with PS360 it wasn't about raw power it was about technical complexity.

The question is whether if developers try to maximise performance on both consoles how noticeable of a difference will it make in terms of actual playability of a game and the analysable outputs?

Also Xb one is slightly more complex to programme on with the RAM set up, so in some cases it may not entirely be a power difference that is responsible for the difference in performance.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

jlmurph2 said:

Bad optimization. There's literally nothing holding this back from being a 7th gen title. And I doubt they recorded this on an Xbox One.

It looks pretty good to me.

The PS5 Exists.