By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Are Third Party Developers Trying to Sabotage the Wiis Success?

http://www.n4g.com/wii/News-39095.aspx

cry me a river, i got a good lol from it.

Around the Network

IMO, developers don't intentionally make crap games. If you make games, why would you make a crap game to begin with? I think it's the publishers that's pushing for release that causes early releases and we ended up with 70% complete games. But of course, we'd also have cases where the bosses want to crank out as many games as possible with borderline playable to make quick bucks. These are the none-gamers, because a gamer would not release a crap game.

I kinda agree with that link. Those third party devs are assholes. They are on an incredibly easy development console and they are screwing up. PS3 is making games that will never work on any other system without spending another 5 million on dev anyways. So why the hell are they giving them any first string developers. They should hold themselves to some sort of standard of quality. The way things are is Bullshit. I don't feel bad right now that EA is losing money. When they are putting out shit third party games they have earned it.

I don't think it's intentional sabotage, and I don't blame the developers; I blame the publishers. It's like Galaki said, developers don't intentionally make shovelware, but publishers intentionally publish shovelware to make a quick buck.

I don't think it's on purpose but I do think alot of 3rd parties are rushing games to make money real quick.

Around the Network

What 3rd party developers are doing is simple, but not right.

They are producing games on multiple platforms i.e. Spiderman.  They are spending the majority of their money and resources into developing the top level version of the game i.e. 360 and PS3 and then porting it quickly to the Wii to make the money back.

The bizarre thing about this is, that the Wii version is the version of the game that will theoretically make them the money back...along with DS versions etc.....but they are spending the most money on the PS3 and 360 versions.

Nintendo is partially to blame as well.  They are forcing 3rd parties to get games out quick to prove that the Wii can have a big supply of 3rd party rather than just 1st party.  But the 3rd party developers are more to blame.  They want a slice of the success of the Wii, but they are not willing to nurture a good project for the platform...they want success now...so thats why there will be a glutt of crappy ports etc for sometime now.

Don't forget that most 3rd party developers didn't expect the Wii to be a success...and have only really realised it at the start of this year.  Decent games take time to develop.....so we may not see good 3rd party games until next year.

Nintendo will have to rely on their own games to sell well....not 3rd parties. 

Prediction (June 12th 2017)

Permanent pricedrop for both PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro in October.

PS4 Slim $249 (October 2017)

PS4 Pro $349 (October 2017)

Honestly, before E3 2006 how many people really anticipated the Wii would be as successful as it is? Since they saw the massive Wii line (and the $600 price of the PS3) publisher have been scrambling to find content to put on the Wii for fear of missing out. Quite often publishers have given developers only 3 to 6 months to port controls from existing games with practically no budget or support; under these conditions it would be very difficult to produce a game that was worth playing.

First you complain when theres high quality requirements, and when theres not, you complain about shitty games. I do agree, that third parties should put some effort to games they make. But, looking at how shitty games affected to PSX and PS2 sales, i wouldn't call it sabotage, they just play hardware and software sales to Nintendos pocket.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Sometimes it makes money to make trash games. Spending a million and making $2 million is better than spending $5 million and making $4 million. Could hurt in the long term as gamers associate your company with trash games but companies think primarily in the short term and it helps there. The issue is compounded on the Wii since 3rd parties jumped on the PS360 bandwagon of super expensive games expecting those systems to have the largest user bases. It hasn't turned out that way and the games they spent $15-30 million on aren't making back the money. What to do? Spend a million making multiple crappy Wii games and hope to get enough sales (100k is more than enough) to make a profit to cover some of the losses on their bad bets from last year. Also to an extent their angry shareholders can be mollified by saying they have twice as many games planned for the Wii than the PS360 (without saying they are terrible cheap games compared to extremely expensive ones). Unfortunately, it does seem some 3rd parties seem to think this should be their long-term strategy. Spend mega dollars making mega games on systems with small install bases and make it back with tons of cheap crapware for the Wii. I think it's too early to say definitively, the big games planned after the Wii surprised everyone are just now being announced. If by this time next year we aren't getting release dates for major games on the Wii then it's time to question what's going on. I just hope the 3rd parties don't really think they can fight the market and win.

When you provide a system that has unique opportunities (Wii mote) and yet horrid technology (not providing a system to multi port to w/ even remotely similar texture features and sets), you'll have a problem. Albi, I disagree with your whole "OMG, the 3rd parties are losing money on PS360" Name a few games that these devs are losing major money on that was multi-ed to both the PS3 and 360. Heck, name one. Spiderman 3? Wii sold 35k copies to PS360's near 300,000. Madden 07? 2m to 400k. CoD3? 1.5m to 400k. The only game to not really be like that would be Rayman, but that's certainly a game deved for the Wii, not the 360. So try to prove a better point. Are devs learning you can't really make your money back on the PS3? Absolutely. Sales are horrid. However, devs like From Software, Sega, and others are learning that with games, if you work on utilizing both systems, you can maintain profitability. Porting to both systems gives you GREAT tier ratios in the US due to the 360's lead, and still maintain some sort of decent sales in Japan with the PS3, and to a lesser extent, the 360. If anything, Nintendo is sabotaging themselves by not upping the horsepower on the Wii to any sort of nominal level. I'm not saying that it needs to be at the 360s level power, but when there are questions even concerning if it's power is equal to a 6 year old Xbox that's out of production and was $150 2 years ago, the devs can only ask "how feasable is this game on Wii for $5m USD versus $15m on PS3 and 360, and even Wii?" Marketshare is key, and even more important are tier ratios. The Wii will garner more and more dev support, but don't think the developers will flock to 1 system. They've already learned that they can be burned with favoring one system too much. Because of this, expect broad support for all the systems. More shovelware to the Wii due to it being some sort of theoretical market leader (mainly from J-devs shovelware), and alot of EA and other company multi-ports.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.