By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Are Third Party Developers Trying to Sabotage the Wiis Success?

That's no problem really. If the Wii dominates at year's end, these 3rd parties will be in a very bad position. I won't cry if some go bankrupt. I have a hard time believing that all of them can produce and sell shooters on XB360. So if they go on all competing for these kind of games (and racers) on XB360, they sure enough won't all survive. Also, if the Wii dominates and 3rd parties don't follow suit, we'll soon see 2008 charts dominated by Nintendo games, like in Japan. That's what happened with the DS in Japan and Europe, and what is still happening, but a bit less now. Devs, especially western devs (or rather publishers), would rather develop games for the PSP, and not support the DS. Now look at the charts, and let them weep. I hope the Wii and Nintendo games succeed just to show the publishers that we won't buy their crappy games, and for them to stop making excuses. When you can't make even the quality of the best Gamecube games on the Wii, something is very wrong, and that's not the Wii.

Around the Network

A lot of third parties are going to find themselves in trouble soon unless they start pumping out good games for the Wii. Otherwise Ninty will get the lion's share of the profits. Its like Miyamoto said you have to put your first string teams on the Wii.

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Blue3 said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
Blue3 said:
ramberk said:
It doesn't matter if the 360 and PS3 have 'prettier' games if the games are too expensive to produce and don't sell enough copies. How many non-1st or 2nd-party exclusives remain on the PS3 and 360? Its growing smaller and smaller...

a 360/PS3 game easily sales 5 times as much as the wii version, so cut the BS that they dont sale enouth and are to expensive to produce. A 360 game can go to PS3 a PS3 game to 360. But you sure dont see them going to the wii.

I'll give for 360 games, but the very charts on this site show the PS3 claim is a lie. You lying fanboy troll.

a 360/PS3 as in the two versions together, you dumb wii tool.

I thought I'd give you the benefit of the doubt and have some kind of real conversation, but it's obvious you have some sort of Wii bias, which will keep anything like that from happening.  

One thing I don't understand is why the Wii hatred?  If you don't like it, then fine.  I don't understand why you have to constantly bash the Wii and the people who like it.  What good does it do?  No ones opinion is going to change, and all it does is devolve into name calling and hatred.  I guess I just don't understand why people do this.  If I don't like something, I don't respond to it and move on.  Why stress yourself out?

Anyway, I agree with this podcast to some degree.  However, I do think that third parties have to earn their wings, so to speak.  I also think that they have to put their best foot forward on a more consistent basis.  Most of the games I buy are third party, but there are many who just don't have faith in third party games.  In most cases, for good reason.  Both Nintendo and third parties have to grow that segment of the market and it doesn't happen over night. 

-Darkness 

we've already seen when a company (Ubisoft) puts some effort into their games, they will sell copies. Ubisoft have two almost million sellers on the Wii, and they're making heaps of money. Third party sales can be made on the Wii, and once the Wii exclusive games start coming out, then third parties will see that they can succeed on Nintendo's platform.

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

Some seriou FUD about Wii third party support seriously. The Wii has had a major amount of game announcements in the last month. Far more than the other two. And has had its share of exclusives as well. Marketshare IS king, but tie ratios? I disagree stick. To developers that doesnt matter as much as their games profitability. The Wii could have a 30 game tie ratio and it wouldnt matter one lick to third party houses is 28 of the third were first party only.

Tie means crap, the devs care if the games THEY make for the console are turning a profit and selling. A larger userbase is a universal advantage for third and first parties, high tie ratios? Not so much. We only have to look at the present to see its possible for a large portion of a consoles tie to be first party only leaving the third party with scraps.  High tie rates only matter if the company in question is getting a good piece of the pie.

Actually the same positions you are using for Wii getting a higher ratio of 'shovelware' works to the Wii's advantage as far as exclusives. How many games made specifically for Wii and its controller do you think devs will even consider porting to the other two in any type of timely manner? What I think is going to happen is a crapton of multi plats spread across 360 and PS3, but Wii will have the higher number of game exclusives, while at the same time also getting a good share of the immensely popular multiplats (see the recent announcements of GuitarHero3 for Wii and Rockband for Wii later this year) on top of the multi plat ports (or shovelware like we call it). What you call Nintendo sabatoging themselves I see like this. Incredibly shared library between PS3 and 360. Semi shared Wii libraries with the Wii except the Wii has alot more 3rd party exclusives due to its design alone.

I still believe the exclusives are what drive a system to the #1 position and its a dieing breed this gen. And as more time passes the Wii gets more and more of them announced (the most recent being rygar) and the other two seem to get less and less. Not only that, some of those exclusives the next gen systems are getting, they are sharing with the Wii even WITH the power gap.

I know which one I see getting the majority of the marketshare. At some point (hell currently) the PS2 will fade into nothing, and at some point you wont be able to label all of these exclusive games Wii is getting from 3rd parties as 'crap shovelware'. It has already started to pick up. And for all of the talk about how obvious it should be that sales on PS3 + 360 > Wii, all we are seeing lately is more and more companies announcing increased wii support coupled with more game announcements. Apparently they know something we dont. 

Here lets put it like this, look:

Spiderman 3? Wii sold 35k copies to PS360's near 300,000. Madden 07? 2m to 400k. CoD3? 1.5m to 400k. The only game to not really be like that would be Rayman, but that's certainly a game deved for the Wii, not the 360.

So try to prove a better point.

Lets use the examples of the games that took more than 5 minutes to churn out. Theres no secret Spiderman for wii was absolute garbage the developers either rushed or were dumb enough to believe people would excuse. So madden sells 400k and COD 400k and Rayman of course due to its timed exclusiveness sold much better on Wii. What do these examples you listed above tell the developers? 

• If your going to just release crap, it wont sell (Spiderman) Confirmed
  • Got a 360 or PS3 game? Definitely make a Wii version, it will certainly pay for itself many times over
  • Wii exclusives can sell a million copies and some if some time are put into it.
How is that sabatoge? If anything the wii is going to see alot of support and ALOT of the titles PS3 and 360 will be getting save a few. Those few will likely be shared by the PS3 and 360 neutering their 'system seller' effect by quite a bit. But those few the wii get that will be designed around the wii remote? Either 360/PS3 wont see at all (Rygar/Nights/Mysims/Boogie/Pjct Hammer/FFantasy: CC/DQ:S) or they will be ported so far down the line that it wont have any effect on the titles ability to sell Wiis (Rayman: RR). From a market share standpoint (which you agree is king) Nintendo is in the most comfortable position of the three by far.

Around the Network

I'll let this thread go for now...Blue3 posted a source, and we can discuss it. Personally I think the idea of intentional sabotage is rubbish, though "crapware" titles could do harm to the Wii's name.

Also, Blue3, I've had to step in a few times in other threads, and now this one. It's not your topic as it is your behavior. I'm sending you a PM in case you decide to ignore this. This is an official warning. I'm sick of you bashing people by calling them Wii fanboys, when all you do is disrupt discussion and make baseless claims.

Please, try to take part in civil conversation and not attack other users...I'm giving you plenty of leeway as it is.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )