By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Xbox One and Tomb Raider - An admission from MS that they cannot compete with Sony and Nintendo First party?

celador said:
gergroy said:

So... You are claiming that the game has already been made for other systems?  

I don't know the timeline of the game's development, it may only have a PC build right now.  The game was most certainly planned for other systems until recently, otherwise it would have been revealed as an exclusive at E3

Unless they wanted to hold that annoucement for gamescom so they could generate more buzz from gamescom.  We dont actually know where they are in development or what their plans were/are.  You are just making assumptions.  

Games are not guaranteed to come out on every system.  No system is entitled to a game just because the franchise has been on the system before. Again, this is a silly argument.  Microsoft has given money to fund the development of this game.  Is that really that different from paying money to developers you employ to make a game?  They both cost money, its the same action, same result.  

Around the Network

MS being MS, moneyhatting the hell out of 3rd party games just to see them later on competition system, never change MS never :) that's why so many other and I included don't like u at all.

Add me if u want :)

I agree with the poster who said that Microsoft did this to counter Uncharted 4. Sounds logical.

I do plan to buy the Xbox One (a used one) to go alongside my PS4 and Wii U so I'll be able to play this but I feel this is a strange decision considering S-E and Crystal Dynamics complained about sales of the first game. Microsoft is very desperate to turn things around but to incur more losses on the Xbox brand with moves like this makes no sense. It's not the games or the console that is the issue here, it's Microsoft that is the issue. People don't trust them.

brighat said:
I agree with the poster who said that Microsoft did this to counter Uncharted 4. Sounds logical.

I do plan to buy the Xbox One (a used one) to go alongside my PS4 and Wii U so I'll be able to play this but I feel this is a strange decision considering S-E and Crystal Dynamics complained about sales of the first game. Microsoft is very desperate to turn things around but to incur more losses on the Xbox brand with moves like this makes no sense. It's not the games or the console that is the issue here, it's Microsoft that is the issue. People don't trust them.

Ms have actually posted ~1 bill profit per year for the last 5-6 years (of course not including this last quarter) there is no losses on the xbox brand.

Systems Owned: PS1, PS2, PS3,PS4, Wii, WiiU, xbox, xbox 360, xbox one

3rd party exclusives are just a part of the business, nothing wrong with that. I for one look to the exclusives to decide which console I will get, and so far Nintendo hasn't disappointed. If MS (and Sony for that matter) wanna compete they better step up their game, and MS did just that today. Not that I'll abandon Nintendo any time soon, but I'm more inclined to bet a X1 over the PS4 right now. But that might very well change.

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Around the Network
Sony-For-Life said:
MS being MS, moneyhatting the hell out of 3rd party games just to see them later on competition system, never change MS never :) that's why so many other and I included don't like u at all.

Sony does the same thing man. They are probably all spent out from shitting out money for destiny. Ms just has 100x more money, they are just trying to support their system. Tomb raider wasn't financially what SE wanted, ms gave them the safety they probably wanted.

Systems Owned: PS1, PS2, PS3,PS4, Wii, WiiU, xbox, xbox 360, xbox one

I'm sure this is just a standard one year timed exclusive deal like some previous MS 3rd party deals, which will most likely be followed by a complete edition with all the DLC released for PS consoles alongside Xbox consoles and pc.

I’d rather see MS switch strategy’s (the strategy of buying exclusives and exclusive content may of been worthwhile if not essential last gen for MS to break away from the 3rd party exclusive dominance of the PS one/two days, but now that nearly all of the 3rd party games release on Xbox consoles I feel this this strategy is no longer needed) away from paying for timed exclusives and spend the money on starting up more developers and buying second party ones.

ms just being ms i guess. buying their way to relevancy because anything they actually try to create themselves turns out like shit.

Wasn't TR announced at Sony's E3?  < NVM 

This is just laughably pathetic... 

SE Screwed over Nintendo with FF7 and now they jump away from Sony, but TR will have no where near the impact FF7 had.

I not mad about this at all, just confused... who at SE though this was a good idea? A much smaller user base for a dying IP. It's like they are trying to kill it for some reason.

This makes me facepalm for the quadrillionth time. Whatever amount of money MS had to put into making this exclusive must've been insanely high, especially in context of how much more the PS4 version of Tomb Raider: DE sold than the X1 version. SE continues to make really dumb business decisions while MS continues to only resort to temporary fixes rather than long-term/permanent ones.