By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why you should support the Wii U this generation.

Ka-pi96 said:
marley said:

It's worth it, because they NEED it to play online.

Not really, if they really wanted they could play online on PC without paying. So they are happy to pay it because they want it rather than need it.

Not everyone has a PC to game on (or likes to play on PC).  Are you really claiming that people WANT to pay for online gaming?      

Around the Network

As a full Nintendo supporter I do wish they would introduce a plus type subscription service for free games each month. But I do think the subscription requirement for online is insane and very anti-consumer. You already pay your electric bill, your internet bill, the system itself, the game itself and your Netflix and. Until recently you had to pay more to watch the Netflix you already paid for. Not to mention the marketplaces are filled with non gaming ads. Thank you NFL I know its football season no need to shove it down my throat with ads. I will be playing all the big games this generation on PC where the amount of additional fees are less.

Mr.Playstation said:
NightDragon83 said:
So many things wrong with OP... first of all, M$ wasn't the first of the 4 major console manufacturers to charge a subscription fee for online, you know. That distinction technically belongs to...

*drumroll*

NINTENDO!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satellaview

And Sega also charged a nominal subscription fee for SegaNet back during the Dreamcast days, and the GameCube's one and only online title Phantasy Star Online II required a... *drumroll again*... monthly fee to play online as well!

PS2 was the only console of the gen to truly offer free online gaming (with the exception of FFXI which was a subscription based MMO)... but that was because there was no centralized network a la Xbox Live, and it was up to 3rd parties to set up their own servers.

M$ was the first to offer a unified online service for their console, and they did so at a time when broadband internet access was still very limited for most of the US. They were also the first to offer broadband networking capabilities and an HDD built right into the console (the DC initially shipped with only a 56k modem, and broadband was not widely supported... the PS2's Network Adapter and HDD were sold separately).

And once the 360 was launched, XBL was opened up to anyone with a console and a broadband connection without a fee... it was only required for multiplayer and later most multimedia apps. They've since updated their model so that essentially only multiplayer requires a subscription, with nearly everything else free, same as PSN.

Not surprisingly, Nintendo's online network continues to lag behind in pretty much all areas, so they'd have no justification to charge a subscription based fee... though don't think Nintendo wouldn't if they could justify it... remember, they've already done it before.

During the begening of the thread I stated that paying for online became popular when Microsoft regained a huge marketshare, while using the online pay model and so other console manufacturer's followed suit. None of the previous attempts were succesful because none of them had a huge marketshare, if people did not pay to play online on xbox the future would be extremly different with no console manufecturer requiring you to pay to game online.

We need to stop for this mentality that we need to pay for a better service, if it was free before it should be free now. If people had not payed for online all online gaming on consoles should be free and manufacturers would be fighting for a better online ecosytem to bring more customers to buy their consoles. 

But it wasn't "free" before... as i stated in my post, it never really was save for the PS2 (which required you to spend another $100 for the broadband adapter if you did want to play online, and another $100 for the HDD + subscription fee on top of that if you wanted to play FFXI).  And if M$ were just being greedy and charging for online because they can and Sony is so great and noble to the gaming community, then why did Sony switch to a subscription based paywall for online gaming this gen for the PS4 when it had been free for the previous two generations?

Answer:  Because maintaining a proprietary online network infrastructure IS F'ING EXPENSIVE!!!

But I know I know... it should be free.  Just like everything else in life.  And we shouldn't be paying $60 a game either, and all DLC should be included in our initial purchases instead of costing extra.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

marley said:
Ka-pi96 said:
marley said:

It's worth it, because they NEED it to play online.

Not really, if they really wanted they could play online on PC without paying. So they are happy to pay it because they want it rather than need it.

Not everyone has a PC to game on (or likes to play on PC).  Are you really claiming that people WANT to pay for online gaming?      

Well no one is forcing anyone to play online in the first place. If you're online gaming its because you want to play online. Nothing wrong with playing single player or local co-op.

jlmurph2 said:
Mr.Playstation said:
Gammalad said:
You know I shouldn't have to pay JUST TO PLAY ONLINE. I already have to pay my internet bill I don't need another bill to pay just to play online a few times a week with my friends. Basic online play should be free, the other stuff I don't care about being put behind a pay wall. I think the only reason there is no Nintendo Premium right now is because they don't have much to offer for a subscription base.

Fully agree with you.

So you do agree that Nintendo is the one who doesn't offer much to warrant having a subscription right? Because that's what he's saying. 

Yes, I know that nintendo's online ecosystem is clearly lacking alot when compared to sony and microsoft. But you know what, it offers enough, it offers a means to play online with friends and strangers alike easily. That's what many people want. I don't care about being able to browse the web for free, deals on dlc's and so on. Why do you think that Microsoft and sony allow you to do that but not play online for free. It's because that's what's important to consumers.

Send a Friend Request On PSN :P

Around the Network
NightDragon83 said:
Mr.Playstation said:
NightDragon83 said:
So many things wrong with OP... first of all, M$ wasn't the first of the 4 major console manufacturers to charge a subscription fee for online, you know. That distinction technically belongs to...

*drumroll*

NINTENDO!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satellaview

And Sega also charged a nominal subscription fee for SegaNet back during the Dreamcast days, and the GameCube's one and only online title Phantasy Star Online II required a... *drumroll again*... monthly fee to play online as well!

PS2 was the only console of the gen to truly offer free online gaming (with the exception of FFXI which was a subscription based MMO)... but that was because there was no centralized network a la Xbox Live, and it was up to 3rd parties to set up their own servers.

M$ was the first to offer a unified online service for their console, and they did so at a time when broadband internet access was still very limited for most of the US. They were also the first to offer broadband networking capabilities and an HDD built right into the console (the DC initially shipped with only a 56k modem, and broadband was not widely supported... the PS2's Network Adapter and HDD were sold separately).

And once the 360 was launched, XBL was opened up to anyone with a console and a broadband connection without a fee... it was only required for multiplayer and later most multimedia apps. They've since updated their model so that essentially only multiplayer requires a subscription, with nearly everything else free, same as PSN.

Not surprisingly, Nintendo's online network continues to lag behind in pretty much all areas, so they'd have no justification to charge a subscription based fee... though don't think Nintendo wouldn't if they could justify it... remember, they've already done it before.

During the begening of the thread I stated that paying for online became popular when Microsoft regained a huge marketshare, while using the online pay model and so other console manufacturer's followed suit. None of the previous attempts were succesful because none of them had a huge marketshare, if people did not pay to play online on xbox the future would be extremly different with no console manufecturer requiring you to pay to game online.

We need to stop for this mentality that we need to pay for a better service, if it was free before it should be free now. If people had not payed for online all online gaming on consoles should be free and manufacturers would be fighting for a better online ecosytem to bring more customers to buy their consoles. 

But it wasn't "free" before... as i stated in my post, it never really was save for the PS2 (which required you to spend another $100 for the broadband adapter if you did want to play online, and another $100 for the HDD + subscription fee on top of that if you wanted to play FFXI).  And if M$ were just being greedy and charging for online because they can and Sony is so great and noble to the gaming community, then why did Sony switch to a subscription based paywall for online gaming this gen for the PS4 when it had been free for the previous two generations?

Answer:  Because maintaining a proprietary online network infrastructure IS F'ING EXPENSIVE!!!

But I know I know... it should be free.  Just like everything else in life.  And we shouldn't be paying $60 a game either, and all DLC should be included in our initial purchases instead of costing extra.

1. The ps2 slim which was a released in 2004 did not need the broadband adapter.

2. In my first post I already had an answer to your last sentence in the first paragraph.

3. You honestly think that mantaining an online network infratructure is alot for a compony worth billions.

4. I never said anything about games,I'm talking about something which was free and now costs money. Dlc's are fine if they don't start becoming a need for games which at this rate mark my words is gonna happean.

Send a Friend Request On PSN :P

I almost never play online and I've been paying for PS+ for about two years now. I find the value to be worth well over the subscription price and I would continue to subscribe even if it had nothing to do with playing online. That value is why PS+ membership was rising well before the PS4 was released.

As for paying for "online", it's going to be interesting to watch Nintendo's long-term strategy. Games keep getting bigger, which means the related costs for online games will continue to rise. Obviously, maintaining a high quality network means a hell of a lot more investment than when video-game consoles were just unconnected boxes. I'm sure Sony realized that the overhead from this will only continue to grow, thus leaving them with dwindling profit margins, as the consumer price for games has remained the same.

As I see it, Nintendo's possible routes are, A) build a high-quality network with free access and eat the rising overhead costs themselves, B) build a high-quality network and charge extra in some shape or form, 3) continue forward with a bare-bones network while attempting to de-emphasis online play. The last one seems to be their chosen path but I'm not sure it's going to meet the needs of the future all that well.

Mr.Playstation said:
jlmurph2 said:
Mr.Playstation said:
Gammalad said:
You know I shouldn't have to pay JUST TO PLAY ONLINE. I already have to pay my internet bill I don't need another bill to pay just to play online a few times a week with my friends. Basic online play should be free, the other stuff I don't care about being put behind a pay wall. I think the only reason there is no Nintendo Premium right now is because they don't have much to offer for a subscription base.

So you do agree that Nintendo is the one who doesn't offer much to warrant having a subscription right? Because that's what he's saying. 

Yes, I know that nintendo's online ecosystem is clearly lacking alot when compared to sony and microsoft. But you know what, it offers enough, it offers a means to play online with friends and strangers alike easily. That's what many people want. I don't care about being able to browse the web for free, deals on dlc's and so on. Why do you think that Microsoft and sony allow you to do that but not play online for free. It's because that's what's important to consumers.

The money from subscribers pays for all of that stuff. Including monthly software updates, stability, dedicated servers and the ability to give out several free games every month.

jlmurph2 said:
marley said:
Ka-pi96 said:
marley said:

Well no one is forcing anyone to play online in the first place. If you're online gaming its because you want to play online. Nothing wrong with playing single player or local co-op.

Right, that was the original point.  People WANT to play online.  They NEED to pay for the access (on consoles).  The fee is a requirement, it's not something gamers desire.  Anyone arguing that gamers want to pay fees, simply because they are willing to pay them, is deluding themselves.

marley said:
jlmurph2 said:

Right, that was the original point.  People WANT to play online.  They NEED to pay for the access (on consoles).  The fee is a requirement, it's not something gamers desire.  Anyone arguing that gamers want to pay fees, simply because they are willing to pay them, is deluding themselves.

People paid for PS+ before it was even required for online so yeah I'd say they want to pay the fees if it gives them all the things I mentioned in the post above.