By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Diff between PS4/XB1 > PS3/360

Darc Requiem said:
VanceIX said:

Last gen the PS3 was a lot more powerful, just harder to optomize for than the 360.

This gen, the PS4 and One use the exact same architecture and the PS4 only has marginally better components. As devs get better at optimizing for x86 on the consoles, games will probably look much more similar either way.

Heck, the One has the best looking game currently (Ryse), and even with lower pixel counts the games look almost identical in real life.

There is so much wrong with this post. The PS3 wasn't a lot more powerful than the 360. The RSX was significant weaker than the 360's GPU. Most of the Cell's computational advantage over the 360's CPU had to be used to compensate for the RSX's short comings. Even then the Cell's general purpose processing abilities were worse than the 360 CPU. The 360's memory setup was also superior to the PS3's and  it had slightly more memory available for gaming. The PS3 had the edge but it games had to be built from the ground up for the architecture and the differences. Even so it had clear disadvantages in comparison to the 360.

The PS4/XB1 situation is completely differently. Both consoles have similar architectures with the PS4 having significant memory bandwith and GPU rendering advantages. Last gen, developers had to put in more time into PS3 software just to get similar results to the 360. This gen developers have to put more time into the XB1 hardware for inferior results. 

@VanceIX

Your PC comparison is apples to oranges. PC games aren't optimized to take advantage of the hardware like console games are. The games have to be made with the lowest common denominator in mind. 

There's not much wrong with my post at all. Yes, the PS3 was weaker in the GPU environment, but the Cell absolutely destroyed the 360's PowerPC architecture in computing performance, and it showed with exclusive titles.

And you know what? My point about PC optimization was exactly the point I was trying to make -_-

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

Around the Network
2008ProchargedGT said:
VanceIX said:

It's hardly a 50% power difference in real life performance. 

If cores made games so much better, PCs would be running circles around both the PS4 and Xbox One. The 290x has 44 CUs, does that make games 244% better IRL performance? Not really. It's all about optimization, and devs aren't going to spend extra resources making the best game possible on PS4 when they can just port the base x86 optomized game to both.

The PS3 had 8 cores compared to the 360's 3 cores in the CPU, look how that turned out. No one bothered optomizing for the PS3 anyway, unless it was a first-party exclusive like Uncharted or TLOU.

Like I said, the best looking game is currently on the One, and multiplats look much more identical than they did last gen, where 360 had an obvious advantage. 

If this gen isnt a 50% irl performance what was last gen like a 1 -2 %?

IRL, the Xbone has had the best looking game. My point exactly.

Last gen, TLOU was well beyond ANYTHING the 360 could have mustered up, period. Last generation, multiplatform games looked like crap on the PS3. 

This generation, the only difference you see is 1080p vs 900p in some games, and even then the difference isn't noticeable. Multiplatforms looks near identical from the start, while the slightly weaker console has the best looking game to date. I doubt there will ever be much of a difference between multiplatforms, and even exclusives will look great on both (whether they be played in native 1080p or upscaled from 900p)

VanceIX said:
2008ProchargedGT said:
VanceIX said:

It's hardly a 50% power difference in real life performance. 

If cores made games so much better, PCs would be running circles around both the PS4 and Xbox One. The 290x has 44 CUs, does that make games 244% better IRL performance? Not really. It's all about optimization, and devs aren't going to spend extra resources making the best game possible on PS4 when they can just port the base x86 optomized game to both.

The PS3 had 8 cores compared to the 360's 3 cores in the CPU, look how that turned out. No one bothered optomizing for the PS3 anyway, unless it was a first-party exclusive like Uncharted or TLOU.

Like I said, the best looking game is currently on the One, and multiplats look much more identical than they did last gen, where 360 had an obvious advantage. 

If this gen isnt a 50% irl performance what was last gen like a 1 -2 %?

Last gen, TLOU was well beyond ANYTHING the 360 could have mustered up, period. Last generation, multiplatform games looked like crap on the PS3. 

This generation, the only difference you see is 1080p vs 900p in some games, and even then the difference isn't noticeable. Multiplatforms looks near identical from the start, while the slightly weaker console has the best looking game to date. I doubt there will ever be much of a difference between multiplatforms, and even exclusives will look great on both (whether they be played in native 1080p or upscaled from 900p)

And that alone is a bigger gap than last gen.... were talking multiplats here the only way you can benchmark anything. What would the FPS or Res of Ryse be on PS4?

2008ProchargedGT said:
VanceIX said:

And that alone is a bigger gap than last gen.... were talking multiplats here the only way you can benchmark anything. What would the FPS or Res of Ryse be on PS4?

Is it really? Last generation neither console could even come close to a 900p resolution most of the time, and people could never tell. A upscaled 900p resolution looks pretty much the same as native 1080p for the most part.

This generation, most games that come out play exactly the same. Most of the games are the same resolution/FPS on both consoles. There are a couple of games that are 900p instead of 1080p, but they look exactly the same overall.

The biggest difference you see is when a console is unable to perform texture rendering or AA as well, which is what you saw with the PS3 on multiplatforms. It looked much worse than the slight decrease in resolution does on the Xbone today.

And the point is, Ryse isn't on PS4. Hence, the PS4 does not have the best looking game. You can't argue that it would be better if it was on there, since it is nonexistent and will never be existent on the platform. Even if it was, I doubt it looks much better. A slight increase in resolution that 99% of gamers will never really notice, maybe.

This is probably the first generation where I haven't bought Microsofts console, and I'm not sure I will. I bought a Wii U because it offered enough different games to my PC and PS4, but something just sticks. Back a few generations ago I had a Sega Saturn and a PS1. I loved that Sega Saturn, but it was painfully underpowered next to the PS1 and it wasn't long before it was dead on its feet. This generation painfully reminds me of that one, and the exclusives in Halo and Forsa, don't hook me in the way the Saturns exclusives made me still think it was a good console when I put it in Gaming heaven in my Loft. That goes double, when I have already played all of the Halos to death over the years.

I certainly won't hate on somebody for buying an XB1 though. I've never seen more people flat out lying about a product though, it is consumerism gone completely mad. I got tired of seeing that chart in every thread for 6 months questioning my eye sight, and now it is beautiful 1080p parity. Did I miss something with that turnaround? I was quite happy to have games based solely on a fun factor in the first place. I doubt things will stay at close to parity for long, as games like Unchartered will probably be such a leap from the lazy stuff a lot of third parties put out, that people are bound to stop accepting it.

I'm sure of one thing though. Next generation Microsofts machine will be a powerhouse machine, based on gamers needs and demands, and it will not be all those who Bought an Xbox one that made it that way, it will be all those who did not.

Around the Network
VanceIX said:
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
VanceIX said:

Optimization for the x86 platform will allow devs to make great games on both consoles that look pretty much identical. It isn't like last gen where games had to be seperately optomized for the Cell and PowerPC architectures. Now it's just plug and play in terms of optimization.

Games are already seeing tons of parity now, at least much more than at the beginning of the generation. I expect that trend to grow. 

Oprimization: It works for both machines, the PS4 will always be a couple of steps above..

Now the games that were "boosted" to 1080p on the XB1 recently, good news for xbox owners, even then, they do not hold up to the PS4 exclusives in therms of details (just like Wolfenstein, it runs at or very close to 1080p on the xb1, enough to call it "almost the same" however... compared to other PS4 titles it's not pushing the visual envelope, so it looks like some teams decided to cut to the lowest common denominator, or they decided to cut out on some other effects (AA, shadows, frame rate drops, screen tearing, material shaders, all can be individually compromised in order to keep resolution parity).

So we have yet to see how that turns out, no matter what the console's respective rendering power, some less demanding titles will look the same on both... now that the xb1 gained access to around 10% of its GPU computing power that common ground got wider, but the orignal ~40% power difference remains, it's just that it used to be more because of the reserve.

VanceIX said:
2008ProchargedGT said:
VanceIX said:

Is it really? Last generation neither console could even come close to a 900p resolution most of the time, and people could never tell. A upscaled 900p resolution looks pretty much the same as native 1080p for the most part.

This generation, most games that come out play exactly the same. Most of the games are the same resolution/FPS on both consoles. There are a couple of games that are 900p instead of 1080p, but they look exactly the same overall.

The biggest difference you see is when a console is unable to perform texture rendering or AA as well, which is what you saw with the PS3 on multiplatforms. It looked much worse than the slight decrease in resolution does on the Xbone today.

And the point is, Ryse isn't on PS4. Hence, the PS4 does not have the best looking game. You can't argue that it would be better if it was on there, since it is nonexistent and will never be existent on the platform. Even if it was, I doubt it looks much better. A slight increase in resolution that 99% of gamers will never really notice, maybe.

False at all bold. Please do not spread misinformation. There is a significant diff in 720P 900P and 1080P if you cant see it is irrelevent. And how do you fell you can speak for 99% of gamers? also most of Digital Foundary comparisions show more than just FPS and Res diff between the two. Another note why are you bringging in exclusives to the debate? Which edxclusive looks the best is debatable the spec sheet is not. Same game on both sytems will always run better on the PS4 and at a larger gap than last year. Have you seen the Screen tear in Sniper III when they tried to run at the same FPS and Res as the PS4?

alabtrosMyster said:
VanceIX said:

Optimization for the x86 platform will allow devs to make great games on both consoles that look pretty much identical. It isn't like last gen where games had to be seperately optomized for the Cell and PowerPC architectures. Now it's just plug and play in terms of optimization.

Games are already seeing tons of parity now, at least much more than at the beginning of the generation. I expect that trend to grow. 

Oprimization: It works for both machines, the PS4 will always be a couple of steps above..

Now the games that were "boosted" to 1080p on the XB1 recently, good news for xbox owners, even then, they do not hold up to the PS4 exclusives in therms of details (just like Wolfenstein, it runs at or very close to 1080p on the xb1, enough to call it "almost the same" however... compared to other PS4 titles it's not pushing the visual envelope, so it looks like some teams decided to cut to the lowest common denominator, or they decided to cut out on some other effects (AA, shadows, frame rate drops, screen tearing, material shaders, all can be individually compromised in order to keep resolution parity).

So we have yet to see how that turns out, no matter what the console's respective rendering power, some less demanding titles will look the same on both... now that the xb1 gained access to around 10% of its GPU computing power that common ground got wider, but the orignal ~40% power difference remains, it's just that it used to be more because of the reserve.

Like I've said several times before, multiplatform games look exasctly the same and will continue looking exactly the same. Devs have never tried to push the full amount of power for the PS3 in multiplatform games, and I doubt they start here.

The most you'll see is a slight, almost unnoticeable resolution bump. 

Mr.Playstation said:
2008ProchargedGT said:
Mr.Playstation said:
2008ProchargedGT said:
Mr.Playstation said:
No, the difference in visuals and framerate was much larger in the seventh generation then it is now.

I mena this can even be seen in games releasing later in the Gen such as Dark souls 2 which ran at around 40 fps on the 360 and under 30fps under the ps3. Another example includes most cod games which looked much better on the 360 and ran at mostly a higher framerate. When looking at most ps3 and xbox 360 games you can see that most ps3 games were only upscaled up to 720p meanwhile all 360 games were upscaled up too 1080p which made them look much better.

So you think a ~10 FPS diff last gen is larger than the diff this gen? Did tomb raider avg about 20 fps more on the PS4 and ran at a higher resolution? I would say thats a bigger diff

No, I am just saying that the difference contiued up to the end of last gen with games looking better and playing better on the xbox 360. This was far more noticible earlier in the same gen. I mean did you see Bayonetta (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZg8ebaARmY) .

Ive seen you use this game in defense before and as I said in the OP exlcude the exceptions be cause they are not the norm. To counter have you seen FF13 o.O

I'm sorry about using this defense twice it's just that bayonetta is a game which without further inquiry I could easily point out the difference between multiplatform last gen games. But if I exclude the norm then you can't use Tomb raider as it's the only game with a lower resolution and framerate on the xbox one. Honestly we can practically say that the amount of difference is the same on both generations.

Last gen saw the ps3 getting lower resolution games with worse framerates meanwhile the tables have turned this generation and games run at a lower resolution and run with worse framerates on the xbox one. 

P.S: I'm a Sony fan so I am by far not trying to protect the xbox one, I think that the console is a third wheel this Gen since now it is the same as the ps4 though it is receiving too much hate, since it runs multiplatform games by far much better than how the ps3 ran multiplatform games when compared to the Xbox 360.

Fair enough. Im just saying the diff in res and FPS alone this gen is more than that of last. Not really saying one system is better than the other... just irritates me when people ignore FACTS to damage control.

kinisking said:
Oh and twice the frames was ONE game. Xbox had more constant framer ates with it staying to 30 more than ps4 stayed at 60. Although there were some heavy framed rows for bkth

I know of at least TWO games (there are probably more) that suffer from poor frame rate on the XB1 compared to the PS4...Tomb Raider and Sniper Elite 3.