By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Remake - Remaster - Reboot : What shall be the rules?

How many generations before Remaster / Remake / Reboot...

Remaster: 2 / Remake: 3 /... 7 46.67%

Remaster: 3 / Remake: 3 /... 2 13.33%

Remaster: 0 / Remake: 1 /... 5 33.33%

I don't have opinions, nor balls. 1 6.67%

Total:15

STOP. This is non-sense, or at least in my opinion, the TLOU remaster barely one-year after its release at a full price, or the remaster or and old remaster of an old game, Resident Evil, are getting ridiculous, and mainly show a lack of originality, vision and certainty from the publishers.

It's time to established the rules of what and when should a Remake, Remaster or Reboot done, and also let's define them.

Remaster - 
A Remaster is a make-over of a game that is recent enough (but not too much) so that without being redone or redevelopped, it can be upgraded to match current graphic standards.

But this is also mainly a matter of generation: remaking a ante-6th generation remake (PS1/Snes/Genesis/N64 etc...) doesn't make sense because they are to old to be adjusted for modern consoles. However, starting with the 6th generation, a remaster is a good thing.

But what should be the pricing and soonest release for a remaster to be decent. I thought for exemple that Square's remaster of FFX/X-II or Kingdom Heart were scams: while not including FFXII or KHII, and releasing them at almost retail price is an undecent and uninteresting offer, and I prefered to pirate and emulate them on PC. Because you must not forget that if you don't release a remaster, or price too high for an old game, of release an incomplete set/collection, you can play them for free, with better graphics and options on an emulator.

That's why the best position for remasters are HD collections: whether you owned, still own, or never own 10-15 years old classics, and decently priced, but complete collection of remaster from the 6th generation or early 7th generation are a way to get and play these games again, and be on the page for the latest episode released: Metal Gear HD Collection, Devil May Cry HD Collection, Halo Collection, Jak&Daxter HD Collection etc...these are all great collections. FFX/X-II, TLOU, Silent HD Collection are failed Remasters packages.

Remake -
When your game is too old, or unless you already want to give a 6th gen game make-over, then the best solution to bring it back, is not to remaster it ie. just update or even redo the graphics, but because the mecanics, level designing, game theories etc...have evolved, the best solution is to take all the elements from an original game, and recreate the same game from scratch.

This is way more ambitious, costly, and for it to worth it it should be a post 6th generation game with a big appeal. That's why Metal Gear 1 or Final Fantasy VII have not been remade yet. While it would be time, this would cost so much, and this is so ambitious and legendary that even current next-gen engine techs might not be enough. Now THIS would deserve a full retail price.

If you think about it, Remake are rare: there was a REbirth and MGS Twin Snake on Gamecube, Silent Hill stuff...and...well I can't think of many other. Like remasters, remakes means that you're not relaunching your saga anew, but rather you want more people to have played and know the episodes while continuing in the same direction.

Reboot -
When you have lost inspiration, vision and appeal, that it's the 8th or 10th episode of a same franchise, maybe it's time not to just to a remaster for people to replay previous episode, nor a Remake unless you want to redo them all in the exact same direction and plot to accompagny your most recent game... it's time to just drop it, take the initial or main defining element of you franchise, and launch it in a new direction/saga.

There are two kinds of Reboot: non-canon (in most case) which means everything is happening in a new universe or rather unrelated from the rest of the saga, or canonical which means your are setting it aside your current franchise but they both exist in the same universe or saga (Like The Evil Dead, the Thing 2009 etc...).

While I didn't have much problem with DmC which I found to be a bit childish but fun, Tomb Rider is probably one of the best reboot I can think of. Although like most games it failed at capturing the magic, mystery and pressure of old episodes, and rather matched the current over-done Hollywood action sequences from most AAA games, it was beautifully crafted return.

Like for remaster or remake, I think there should be a decent time gone between periods for you to reboot a game. The Amazing Spider-Man for example was way too early of reboot, that why I didn't like the first one. However when a franchise really is becoming uninspired and nobody cares, like for Resident Evil, yes it's time anyway.

-

There your go, let me know what you think about these definition and rules. And also your top 5 remasters/collection, remakes and reboot you would like to see.

Around the Network

reserved for list

goulibouli said:

STOP. This is non-sense, or at least in my opinion, the TLOU remaster barely one-year after its release at a full price, or the remaster or and old remaster of an old game, Resident Evil, are getting ridiculous, and mainly show a lack of originality, vision and certainty from the publishers.

I stopped reading there.

THIS is ridiculous:

You and the likes of you would stop a company from porting a resonably new game to another system because ... I don't know why ... thus stopping me (and the likes of me) from having the option of playing the game on said new system because ... again ... I have NO FUCKING IDEA why.

It is funny to me that people don't seem as worked up about GotY editions of games that come out a year later, but a "remaster" (branding) of The Last Of Us getting released on the PS4 gets everyone up in arms.

Devs should remaster, remake, reimagine, re-whatever a game whenever they feel like they can gain added value from it. Games aren't made specifically to fit any one fan's interpretation of what is "right" or "fair". They are made so the company can 1. profit, and 2. get their vision out there.

Neodegenerate said:
It is funny to me that people don't seem as worked up about GotY editions of games that come out a year later, but a "remaster" (branding) of The Last Of Us getting released on the PS4 gets everyone up in arms.

Devs should remaster, remake, reimagine, re-whatever a game whenever they feel like they can gain added value from it. Games aren't made specifically to fit any one fan's interpretation of what is "right" or "fair". They are made so the company can 1. profit, and 2. get their vision out there.

Rehash?

Around the Network

This will go places.

Keep it civil please folks!

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Oh goody, another one. The previous 57 threads relating to this topic hadn't quite quenched my thirst for unoriginal discussions that never go anywhere.

I'm not saying you weren't trying to generate meaningful conversations goulibouli (though i complete disagree with your opinion), but you should know better. These threads never go anywhere except down the shitter, regardless to the opening presentation of the topic.

I don't know why the mods even give these threads a chance anymore. Not a single one of them has gone well. Not. One.

KLXVER said:
Neodegenerate said:

Rehash?

Add it to the list!  :)

I don't care if they do a remaster/reboot/remake of any game 1 day after the release of the original. It's not like i have to buy it but choice is always nice.
I bought quite a few hd collections on my ps3 because i didn't get to play them the first time round.

rule #1 - complain at all times.