By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - China’s Xbox One and games will be totally region locked

JayWood2010 said:

PS. Drugs are widely available if you want them

In virtually every mall store and electronics store?

Around the Network
Azerth said:
i could be wrong but i dont think the games being sold in hong knog are the same games being sold when the console launches. like the forza 5 game listed is the normal one where the one ms has listed when talking about china in the recent press release is froza 5 game of the year edition. so that could be why you have a diff price and if ur listing grey market prices then of course there not going to match up as these would be the official prices

http://news.xbox.com/2014/07/xbox-one-launch-in-china-september

Indeed, but grey market pricing is all I can really go off until they officially list prices for other games, they have, as far as i'm aware, only given a price for Forza, nothing else has been officially priced.

Tamron said:
JayWood2010 said:
Teeqoz said:

Is BF4 china approved!?!

No its not.  Tamron has been listing unofficial releases for whatever reason while D-Joe has been giving official information to legit releases and prices.

Watchdogs, Killer Inctinst, Destiny, Assassin's Creed etc all have the greenlight though.  Because BF4 has chinese soldiers it was banned.

I have been listing grey market retail because from the launch of the console in the US, that's been the primary (and only) market.
I've made it clear, multiple times that I have been listing grey market retail.

The pricing of these grey market games is relevant because it's a market that will persist even after local availability is provided, not all games will be allowed a local release and some that are may face censorship, likewise the gamers that already bought grey market consoles are highly likely to continue to buy the imported games.

and why do u list games, they will be offical realased like forza 5?

the grey market pricing of that games will be (nearly) completely irrelevant

Tamron said:
JayWood2010 said:

PS. Drugs are widely available if you want them

Drugs are virtually everywhere, just not plastered in broad daylight with advertisements etc.  Just have to know the right people which isnt hard really.  If you have a social life at all, you will know exactly where to go and what to do.

Did you know you could get the vita in america at release even though it launched in japan first?  Its all a matter if you know about the product or not

Not surprising I guess. I just hope some of those Chinese games eventually come the US

Around the Network

Yeah..drugs are incredibly easy to find and get ahold of in the US. Definitely easier to get than grey market games in China. Literally go to any college campus or really anyone in any major city in the US.It depens on the drug tho some you can literally just walk into a store and buy depending on the state. So I'm going to have to agree with Tamron since they are pretty much the only one that's been right so far and actually given official numbers from real retailers that are selling the games as we speak in China and HK. While D-Joe has been doing nothing but contradicting themselves, disproving their own claims, and only providing suggested prices that are in no way official and in no way will reflect reality current or future.

http://www.youtube.com/v/AoOOpLpcF28 http://www.youtube.com/v/CphFZGH5030

All Hail the Jester King. The King is back, and I am still a dirty girl prof ;)

prinz_valium said:

and why do u list games, they will be offical realased like forza 5?

the grey market pricing of that games will be (nearly) completely irrelevant

Forza 5 has been listed, and it's cheap (comparitively, at $40 compared to the game of the year edition elsewhere for $60), but this is at launch, and they have neglected to price other titles to date, grey market pricing IS relevant because right now it's the only market,that market isn't going to dissapear overnight.

If they actually do move forward and continue to release CH region games for $40 then that's awesome for Chinese gamers, and may actually help build a nice fanbase there, but I would rather wait until 3-4 months after release and watch the market and how the current grey market adapts.

The important thing here, which a lot of people seem to be missing is that a grey market sale is STILL a sale, it's still a retail game that is ending up in the hands of a gamer, however, as it hasn't gone through the normal channels it doesn't show up as a chinese market sale.

Ultimately, while some here are trying to see my dialog on the topic of grey market games as an attack, it's actually not, as the result clearly shows that regardless of what the final console and software sales are after launch, the actual number of buyers of consoles and games is, and will remain substantially higher than official records state.

JayWood2010 said:
Tamron said:

Drugs are virtually everywhere, just not plastered in broad daylight with advertisements etc.  Just have to know the right people which isnt hard really.  If you have a social life at all, you will know exactly where to go and what to do.

Did you know you could get the vita in america at release even though it launched in japan first?  Its all a matter if you know about the product or not

http://kotaku.com/5883693/boy-is-chinas-illegal-gray-market-blatant/

Have a read.

Tamron said:
JayWood2010 said:

Have a read.

Bolded important bits and underlined the two main reasons why they need out of the gray market and into a place where theyre readily available with advertising

Niko Partners' Lisa Hanson explains why living room platforms should be legalised

The grey market in China for consoles - including PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, Xbox, Xbox 360, Wii and GameCube - stands at an installed base of around 2-3 million units, according to Niko Partners' managing partner Lisa Hanson.

Of those hardware platforms it was estimated that around 750,000 Wiis were brought into the country unofficially last year, alongside around 625,000 Xbox 360s - which all adds up to a lot of lost revenue for the platform holders and Chinese government alike, with the latter a good reason for consoles to become legal in the country.

"Well there are about 2-3 million units sold illegally at full market prices now for consoles - and those people have to seek them out," she told GamesIndustry.bizduring an interview at this year's Games Convention Asia in Singapore.

"PS2, PS3, Xbox, Xbox 360, Nintendo Wii, GameCube... it all exists. The PS2 is very popular because there are so many games available for it that are pirated," she continued. "PS3 is less popular because it's more expensive and it's more difficult to get the pirated games, but Wii outpaced PS2 last year - I think we estimated 750,000 Wiis were sold in 2008, along with 625,000 Xbox 360s.

"This is all lost revenue for Microsoft and Nintendo, and it's also lost tax revenue for the Chinese government. And more importantly to the Chinese government it's a loss of control of the content - so it's really in their best interests to get out the stick."

Niko Partners believes that the market in China - predominantly PC online gaming - will be worth USD 3.65 billion this year, and will rise to USD 8.8 billion by 2013 as the number of online gamers jumps from 60 million to 100 million in that time frame, but even that estimate is based on slowing growth in that time.

"On a compound growth rate it's only about 19 per cent, and we've had huge growth over the last few years," she explained. "2008 over 2007 was something like 73 per cent, and the year before that was about 70 per cent. This year versus last year it's about 35 per cent growth - and that's with World of Warcraft being offline for a while.

"As we have slowing growth, basically to keep our forecast reasonable we're pulling down the growth as much as we can. By 2013 we're sub-20 per cent for the revenue growth, but we still have this big boom in internet users. So the sub-segment of total internet users who will be gamers is about 100 million."

The full interview with Lisa Hanson, in which she also explains why China is a crucial market for Blizzard with World of Warcraft, is available now.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/chinas-grey-market-console-base-2-3-million-units

JayWood2010 said:
Tamron said:
JayWood2010 said:

Have a read.

Bolded important bits and underlined the two main reasons why they need out of the gray market

*snip*

That was as of 2009, and even then it still shows that the grey market is massive, and it has been growing larger each year since.
As i said, that market isn't just going to disappear overnight because the consoles and games became legally available.