By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Super Official Anime Discussion Thread

Super_Boom said:

unfortunate hanger girl 

I love Aru.  She's a fantastic character.  She's smart, kind, friendly ... and a total goofball.  She still tries her very best to improve herself, though.  She often feels down because things seldom seem to go her way but she always manages to pull herself back up. 

It's kind of funny that a lighthearted comedy would have a more complex character than most serious anime.

Oh, and I love how the teacher is terrified of Nako.  

Around the Network

Kunihiko out there saving anime.

So I watched Sarazanmai ep 1. I already was a bit iffy about it and sadly the show even surpassed my fears. It's a great production with great direction but the content and themes are just so off-putting. I would love to explore the beautifully rendered city but not with that kind of cast and premise. I'll guess I have to make due with my real memories of my time in Asakusa.

It's like a reverse Yurikuma.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Carole & Tuesday bringing the music.  That scene in episode 2 was really, really awesome.

Last edited by pokoko - on 25 April 2019

Ninja girl is just...just great. I liked their ninja run, way better than the Narudo one. Picked up on unfortunate girl's unfortune pretty fast too.

I dropped Fairy Gone and the After show whose name I already forgot. The first might pick up later but the second episode was so bland and generic it felt like a parody anime. Only it wasn't that funny.

Also finished Galko a few days ago. Was short but funny. Never have heard so many sex jokes in a cute girl show before, but it was amusing. 

NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334

Around the Network

One of the three Legendary Deer Scenes in anime history.

New Attack on Titan today...and Ah yeah, Linked Horizon doing the OP again!

I've been hyped for this arc for a while, only took like 6 years to get here. Glad the first ep was so great...this should be a fun ride.

Still holding onto 10 seasonals right now, not sure if I'll drop anything. We Can't Study is kinda falling a bit though...its not bad but the multi-girl focus is really keeping me from getting excited about any of them in particular. It feels like a "Jack of all trades, master of none", which is something I kinda notice in harems without a clear main girl. Maybe I just need to adjust my expectations...I keep wanting to compare it to Nisekoi given the author, but it's really something else entirely.

Someone told me I'll probably like sensei so I'll keep up with it to see her focus episode at least...if it ever comes.

NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334

John2290 said:

I've been looking for a show like devilman cry baby now since, well, since devilman cry baby with no success, I found some in One punch man and to a lesser degree Elfen lied, any suggestions? Something that is atmospheric, wacky and witty, thoughtful and has a strong overall arc with some existentialism thrown on top. Wouldn't hurt if it was well written and well animated too if it's stronger as a dub but those aren't exactly requirements if it is subbed. Other examples of the kind of show I'm after would be Steins Gate and perhaps that one with the big AI city run amuck.

Devilman Crybaby is a unique show, because it is a Japanese creation, but it is so different from many other Japanese anime.

There are not many I would suggest like it.

However, I would definitely suggest watching Parasyte or Monster. Parasyte has a good dub, Monster probably not.

Welcome to the NHK - It's an anime about addiction, suicide, social acceptance and rejection, depression, and paranoia.  It's also hilarious in the blackest of ways.  It's brilliant and unique.  Animation might be too dated for some.  No idea about the dub.

Serial Experiments Lain - Impossible to explain.  There is nothing like it.  Death, technology, and godhood.

Kare Kano (His and Her Circumstances) - The most brilliantly directed anime I've ever come across.  It jumps back and forth from over the top symbolism to deep introspection at a moment's notice.  Despite that, it's also incredibly honest and realistic when it comes to how high school actually feels, something which 99% of anime fails at.

Houseki no Kuni - One of the best anime of recent years.  Every single episode is a revelation.  

FLCL - Everyone should know this one.  If they don't ... well, they just should.

Mawaru Penguindrum - Trippy trippy trippy but with a lot underneath.  

Paprika (movie) - It's so easy to forget the incredible potential animation possesses when most of it is trite and formulamatic.  Paprika is pure imagination.  

Kara no Kyoukai (Garden of Sinners) - One of the crowning achievements in anime.  Still one of the best productions the medium has ever seen, with one of the greatest characters.  "Just a slight murderous impulse that's leaning towards you."

Last edited by pokoko - on 29 April 2019

John2290 said:

I've been looking for a show like devilman cry baby now since, well, since devilman cry baby with no success, I found some in One punch man and to a lesser degree Elfen lied, any suggestions? Something that is atmospheric, wacky and witty, thoughtful and has a strong overall arc with some existentialism thrown on top. Wouldn't hurt if it was well written and well animated too if it's stronger as a dub but those aren't exactly requirements if it is subbed. Other examples of the kind of show I'm after would be Steins Gate and perhaps that one with the big AI city run amuck.

You need some Bakemonogatari in your life.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.