By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Super Official Anime Discussion Thread

New Dragon Ball Super OP is pretty hype. Can't wait for the tournament to start!

Around the Network
Shadow1980 said:
I picked up a copy of Ghost in the Shell: Innocence on Blu-ray from Best Buy yesterday. I missed the first Blu-ray print run that Bandai issued in 2009, which left me with the option of either buying a second-hand copy, which became very expensive (most started at $100, with some going for up to $200), or of buying a region-free Blu-ray player and importing the Japanese version. The costs involved made it rather prohibitive, so I decided to wait and hope for a license rescue. Well, here we are 8 years later, and my patience has been rewarded. Now to sit down and watch this movie in glorious HD for the first time ever once I get home from work tomorrow.

Nice man! Hope you enjoy watching it the way you wanted to for all these years :D Patience really can come through I suppose.

I'm voting Maidragon as best feelgood anime of the season. It's just so nice and sweet and the best character hasn't even made an appearance yet. Also it has an amazing OP and ED.

They should've advertised it as a moe show from the beginning instead of pretending it's just comedy.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Are any of the Netlfix Original Animes any good?

I'm just getting into anime. I've watched Death Note, Attack on Titan and Your Lie in April so far, just watched the first half of Terror in Resonance.

Just wondering if they are any good, I have them on my list but don't see them mentioned much

celador said:

I'm just getting into anime. I've watched Death Note, Attack on Titan and Your Lie in April so far, just watched the first half of Terror in Resonance.

Just wondering if they are any good, I have them on my list but don't see them mentioned much

Netflix "original" anime. It makes me seriously question their "original" tagline. I don't know if they just happen to pay for a dub or what the deal is with them since Netflix's only noteworthy, truly original foray into animated productions so far is Trollhunters.

If you're looking for good anime to check out that Netflix actually has though:
Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic
Magi: Adventure of Sinbad
The Seven Deadly Sins
Gurren Lagann
Fate/Zero
Fate/stay Night: Unlimited Budget Blade Works
Knights of Sidonia
The Irregular at Magic High School
K
Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet
Aldnoah.Zero
Madoka Magica (series then movies)
Kill la Kill

Granted, I don't know what of it is actually available in your region (for example, Terror in Resonance is not on US Netflix), but I'd argue all of the above are at least worth checking out if they're on there. The stars of the group are easily Fate/Zero, Fate/stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works, Seven Deadly Sins, Gurren Lagann, Kill la Kill, and Madoka Magica. The rest are pretty alright and will appeal more or less based on your personal interests, but may not mesh with you as well as they did with me. In the end though, particularly if you are just getting into anime, click on whatever, give it a watch, and just keep going if you enjoy it.

As well, if you are someone who is partial to more legal resources for anime, checking out places like Crunchyroll and Funimation would be a good idea. Netflix isn't going to get you all that far since they don't license much anime, likely due to the immediate and more popular existing competition for that content.

Around the Network
LuckyTrouble said:
celador said:

Netflix "original" anime. It makes me seriously question their "original" tagline. I don't know if they just happen to pay for a dub or what the deal is with them since Netflix's only noteworthy, truly original foray into animated productions so far is Trollhunters.

If you're looking for good anime to check out that Netflix actually has though:
Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic
Magi: Adventure of Sinbad
The Seven Deadly Sins
Gurren Lagann
Fate/Zero
Fate/stay Night: Unlimited Budget Blade Works
Knights of Sidonia
The Irregular at Magic High School
K
Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet
Aldnoah.Zero
Madoka Magica (series then movies)
Kill la Kill

Granted, I don't know what of it is actually available in your region (for example, Terror in Resonance is not on US Netflix), but I'd argue all of the above are at least worth checking out if they're on there. The stars of the group are easily Fate/Zero, Fate/stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works, Seven Deadly Sins, Gurren Lagann, Kill la Kill, and Madoka Magica. The rest are pretty alright and will appeal more or less based on your personal interests, but may not mesh with you as well as they did with me. In the end though, particularly if you are just getting into anime, click on whatever, give it a watch, and just keep going if you enjoy it.

As well, if you are someone who is partial to more legal resources for anime, checking out places like Crunchyroll and Funimation would be a good idea. Netflix isn't going to get you all that far since they don't license much anime, likely due to the immediate and more popular existing competition for that content.

Thanks for the feedback. I've definitely seen some of those listed on Netflix UK, like Knights of Sidonia and Seven Deadly Sins, and hopefully those others you mentioned are too. 

And I'll look into CrunchyRoll if that goes well

Versus_Evil said:
celador said:

Not sure about the Netflix originals but if your just getting into anime then you have two main choices outside of Netflix in the UK.

Crunchyroll - Vast subbed content library, pretty much unbeatable when it comes to anime streaming, nothing beats it on quantity season on season. £4.99, consoles apps, great streaming quality. I've been subbed for 5yrs so you can't go wrong BUT there is quite a lot of they're back catalogue that isn't in the UK.

Funimation - Smaller library of shows but they're the place you go for dubbed content, I've been using them since they came to the UK and now it seems they're doubling down on dubbed content and simuldubs each season. £4.99, they're streaming quality lags a lot and could be improved , console apps (I downloaded the US PS4 app and use it on my UK PSN account) they're pretty much becoming my main source of anime.

Crunchyroll seems the best option then with the bigger library and better stream quality

thanks for the feedback

Things are finally happening in Blue Exorcist. It only took half the season, but we've started the major conflict that will carry the arc.

Anyone else planning to watch the new SAO movie? Im glad its coming to my nearest cinema. After seeing Your Name on the big screen....... I cant wait for what SAO will look and sound like!

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Jranation said:
Anyone else planning to watch the new SAO movie? Im glad its coming to my nearest cinema. After seeing Your Name on the big screen....... I cant wait for what SAO will look and sound like!

Sadly, like "your name" it's not coming to my local theater. Only anime one that came was the Dragon Ball Ressurection of F movie(which I did get to see in theaters and it was an awesome experience).