By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Super Official Anime Discussion Thread

vivster said:
Shadow1980 said:

So, anyone interested in sharing pictures of their anime & manga collections? I submitted some shots of my collection as it existed circa mid 2010 to Anime News Network's Shelf Life column where it was featured in their Dec. 10 edition. It's a bit out of date, though, but most of my collection is still from 2005 and earlier. I got an HDTV which now occupies the spot where my DVD racks were, and I've moved them elsewhere in the room. Also, a lot of those non-anime DVDs I sold off to replace with Blu-rays. I've added some more anime to my collection since then as well, but not much due to lack of funds (and I've spent most of what little spending money I had on games over the past 3 years). Also, I no longer have a camera to take pictures of my current set-up. Anyway, go check it out, and share what you guys have as well if you're interested in doing so.

I don't buy physical goods for anime. I watched over 600 animes in my life but if you step into my flat you would never know that. The only thing that could identify me as anime fan is one single figurine.

But It's not standing in the open because I haven't found a fitting place to put it yet.

I will promise you though that some day I will buy the most premium Blu-Ray collection of Kill La Kill I can find.

What does Senjou, Yona, Tatenashi, Subaru and Nove Nakajima and Senna from Bleach all have in common that I despise? 

Common! It's a game! You're supposed to have fun! 

Around the Network
Shadow1980 said:
vivster said:

I don't buy physical goods for anime. I watched over 600 animes in my life but if you step into my flat you would never know that. The only thing that could identify me as anime fan is one single figurine.

When did you first get into anime? I started watching back in the mid to late 90s. Back then the only way to watch was either on TV or to rent VHS tapes from the local Blockbuster. Starting around 2000 you started to see anime on DVD proliferate, and that was probably the best way to watch a large amount of anime. We didn't get affordable broadband internet around here until around 2004-ish, so downloading fansubs wasn't even an option for me for years. I still kept buying anime DVDs, though, but money issues kept me from buying much over the past decade. Fortunately there's Crunchyroll and Hulu for streaming.

I started watching anime pretty much exactly January 2010. First I had to catch up a lot of recommended animes of course. I didn't start to follow seasonal animes before 2013. But since then I'm actively at it and I'm watching on average 25 animes a season.

But even though I watched so many animes, the ones that really had a profound effect on me I can count on 2 hands. Kill La Kill and Bakemonogatari are two of those.

http://myanimelist.net/animelist/vivster?status=2&order=4&order2=0

So if I ever buy physical goods it will only be of the very few great animes I've watched. The other item on my to buy list is the whole Claymore manga collection.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Shadow1980 said:
vivster said:

When did you first get into anime? I started watching back in the mid to late 90s. Back then the only way to watch was either on TV or to rent VHS tapes from the local Blockbuster. Starting around 2000 you started to see anime on DVD proliferate, and that was probably the best way to watch a large amount of anime. We didn't get affordable broadband internet around here until around 2004-ish, so downloading fansubs wasn't even an option for me for years. I still kept buying anime DVDs, though, but money issues kept me from buying much over the past decade. Fortunately there's Crunchyroll and Hulu for streaming.

I have an absolute ton of VHS tapes in boxes, both fansubbed and commercial, but if I were to show you my collection since then, I'd have to post a picture of my external HDD.  I started using torrents many years before streaming became the norm.  I probably have less than 10 anime DVDs and less than 20 DVDs of any kind.

As for anime goods, I actually have several and almost all of them were gifts.  Small Pikachu plush, Panda Kopanda plush, 2 Jiji plushes (the small one purs), small Catbus plush (purs), P-chan plush,  large and small Totoro plushes, Hamtaro plush, small Cutey Honey Flash figure that's in a box somewhere, Totoro figure with Mei sleeping on his tummy ... I think that's it.  And they were all gifts.  Once my sisters and girl friend found out I liked anime they decided I should decorate my home with it.  I think they just liked looking at plushes.  Only one I think I bought myself was a Totoro wall scroll, which I got because my niece was living with me for awhile and Totoro was her favorite movie (thanks to me).  Later on, I gave her the same scroll for Christmas.

I've watched hundreds of anime, but physically all I have is the entire Clannad series box set(show, movie,ovas,cd), yugioh movie and the capsule monsters series, a few pokemon movies and the majority of dragon ball z on dvd. The majority of it I bought in the early 2000s when I was a kid(and a casual xD) except for Clannad which I bought last year at Comic Con. Almost bought a Parasyte poster there too...kinda regret not getting it now xD

Edit: forgot I owned most of the naruto mangas, but sold them years ago.

I started watching anime with Toonami and late night anime blocks in 1998+ :). If I wanted to buy anything anime related, I would just buy manga. But I am too broke, and spend all my money on games instead.

Around the Network

I finally finish tenchi muyo series, I just want to share with you guys. I rate my anime from 1 to 10.

Tenchi Muyo! (OAV 1/1992) (7)
Tenchi Muyo! The Night Before The Carnival (OAV) (6)
Tenchi Muyo! Ryo-Ohki (OAV 2/1994) (5)
Tenchi Muyo! Ryo Ohki (OAV 3/2003) (5)
Tenchi Muyo! Ryo Ohki: Final Confrontations (OAV)(5)
Tenchi Muyo! War on Geminar (OAV) (7)
Magical Girl Pretty Sammy (OAV) (5.5)
Magical Project S (4.5)
Tenchi Muyo! Mihoshi Special (6)
Tenchi muyo universe (6)
Tenchi Muyo Movie 1: Tenchi in Love (8)
Tenchi Muyo Movie 2: Daughter of Darkness (8)
Tenchi Muyo Movie 3: Tenchi Forever (6)
Tenchi in Tokyo (6.5)
Tenchi muyo GXP (4)
Sasami: Magical Girls Club (6.5)
Sasami: Magical Girls Club Season 2 (6.5)
Ai tenchi muyo (5)

Xbox live: kyokusanagiii    Watching: Patlabor The Mobile Police (OAV 1)

The other day I was talking about animes that had a profound effect on me. Here is another one I always rave about but feel as if I'm the only one who ever watched it.

This is probably the most unique anime I have ever watched. It has a very specific and abstract style that might look cheap but was intentionally chosen. It's about showing that you don't have to have realistic figures or environments to evoke strong attachment. It shows that you can have real drama in a quirky setting.

The anime itself has usually contained within a single episode one melancholic message. It's drama without pointing you directly at it. It's filled with a lot of tragedies. It's certainly not for people looking for happy endings and I recommend not to bingewatch it since there is a lot to take in after every episode.

But it's worth watching every second. It's extremely special and should be watched by anyone who has real investment into the medium and wants to see a big part of its potential. It's animes like this that make me cringe every time some melodramatic or pretentious "mature" animes trying to achieve with gritty themes and brooding protagonist what Kaiba does with kids and quirky visuals but fails because they're only scratching the surface of what a true drama is.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

You know, I really hated Miaka in Fushigi Yugi but darn if the actress playing her in the stage production isn't cute as a button.  That's a series that could use a remake.

Oh, by the way, Shirobako won Tokyo Anime Award Festival's Television Anime of the Year.  Hell yeah, well deserved.

Versus_Evil said:

She looks creepy, like a doll or something. But yeah she is cute ^^

Cause of her eyes?  Probably have them penciled up to look anime-ish.

Makeup is scary.

Edit:  Same Actress looking a lot more human.

I like drama series, i have to put this in my waiting list.

Xbox live: kyokusanagiii    Watching: Patlabor The Mobile Police (OAV 1)