By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Super Official Anime Discussion Thread

Versus_Evil said:
So far half the shows I'll be watching have aired (Astericks War, YuruYuri 3, OMP, Utawarumono) and they've been really good, haven't needed to drop any yet, which is a relief. I think the one that I'm most worried about is Antimagic Academy, the PV was excellent but idunno.

Has anybody dropped anything yet? :3

Nothing I planned on watching except for JK Menshi! has disappointed yet.

Even Lance N' Masques actually had an okay first episode for me with an interesting fight and an odd MC with his white knight complex.

Heavy Object is at highest risk of getting dropped since the "Objects" are leaps and bounds less interesting than I thought they would be.

Asterick War and Chivalry of a Failed Knight both seem to follow the same exact mold and most of the same tropes, but they will hopefully diverge in their own interesting ways. Mostly I'm banking on them both having great fights and maybe some decent drama to tie it all together.

K: Return of Kings taught me there was a movie after the first season I should watch before next episode. Otherwise there was a moment where the first episode dove into a large amount of fan service, but the core of what made the first season good is still there. I'm looking forward to the rest of this one.

Utawarerumono was interesting, although apparently there was a season back in 2006? I'll have to look into that more. It wasn't explicitly labelled as a sequel in the synopsis or anything, so I'll have to dig a bit. The first episode of this season was solid though.

Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans will probably be my big hit mecha anime this season. The first episode was good, and despite the fact that Gundam has been really hard for me to get into before, whether because it was cheesy, animation was crappy, or otherwise, this looks like it will hold my interest.

Comet Lucifer was okay. I wasn't bored, so I'll keep on keeping on with it.

Concrete Revolutio was just strange, but I'll keep watching for now. It has potential.

One Punch Man was awesome. I can't wait to see more of this ridiculous show.

Around the Network
LuckyTrouble said:

Utawarerumono was interesting, although apparently there was a season back in 2006? I'll have to look into that more. It wasn't explicitly labelled as a sequel in the synopsis or anything, so I'll have to dig a bit. The first episode of this season was solid though.

The current season is a remake. It differs from the original quite a bit. So far I like the original more though it suffered from a low budget with very poor looking cgi. I'll see if this one can improve over time but I can't imagine it. The character of the MC feels completely different. They made him pretty pathetic and clumsy as opposed to th composed and calm original. In the original he pretty much carries the story so it could be quite annoying to watch if he stays this way.

Anyway, I picked up a good mix of shows but it really is nothing to wrizte home about compared to the previous season.

My favorite so far is Shingeki which actually made me laugh physically. There are only a handful of other animes that managed that.

OPM should be fun to watch though I can't stand action with this amount of destruction. 

I chose Asterisk and dropped Cavalry. One of those in a season should be enough and Asterisk at least seems to know what they're doing and doesnot follow blindly through the tropes.

I'm quite intrigued by Komori-san. I appreciate greatly when people try out fresh character designs. It's quite clumsily put together but I'll watch it for the design anyway.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Absolute Duo clone > The Irregular at Magic High School clone IMO for this season ...

I honestly don't see a major difference between Asterisk and Calvary at this point. Their first episodes were damn near identical in how they progressed, except that more happened in Calvary in terms of action, while Asterisk focused a bit more on exposition. They follow basically the exact same tropes to a near annoying degree.

Saying one is any better than the other at this point just feels like a forced attempt at trimming down the weekly anime count.

LuckyTrouble said:
I honestly don't see a major difference between Asterisk and Calvary at this point. Their first episodes were damn near identical in how they progressed, except that more happened in Calvary in terms of action, while Asterisk focused a bit more on exposition. They follow basically the exact same tropes to a near annoying degree.

Saying one is any better than the other at this point just feels like a forced attempt at trimming down the weekly anime count.

No one has tagged Calvary as a harem yet so it's far from the "generic" LN to anime adaption ...

Asterisk War, unfortunately is your generic action/harem from LN to anime adaption but I think it's better executed than Calvary and the background at first is better touched upon too ... 

The similarities stop at the tsunderes with fire power and the fanservice ... 

Around the Network

Well Kekkai Sensen ended and is definitly the Anime of the Season... Spring season.. what a delay but those last 45 minutes were awesome.. really hope they make another season.

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

LuckyTrouble said:

That's what I thought.  The differences are so slight that trying to decide which will be the better anime is almost impossible.  Even where they differ, it's only into a slightly different trope or cliche.  If I HAD to choose one, right now I would probably go with Calvary because it worked a bit harder to make its heroine seem human and thus came off a bit less pretentious.  Really, though, the whole superpowers academy that revolves around students dueling one another thing is so uninspired by this point that I might drop both just from apathy.  I usually hold off until the full cast appears, in case one of the side-girls is awesome, so they both do have a chance (maybe) to recover from a dismal first episode.

fatslob-:O said:
LuckyTrouble said:

No one has tagged Calvary as a harem yet so it's far from the "generic" LN to anime adaption ...

Asterisk War, unfortunately is your generic action/harem from LN to anime adaption but I think it's far better executed than Calvary and the background at first is better touched upon too ... 

The similarities stop at the tsunderes with fire power and the fanservice ... 

I think you're focused a little too much on genre tags and not enough on what you actually watched. Let me give a brief synopsis below, and you decide which show I'm talking about:

The show takes place at a school for students gifted with skills we would largely classify as magic. At the beginning, the male MC accidentally walks in on a girl changing. It turns out that this girl is a powerful fire user who also happens to be a tsundere. Oh, did I mention she is also a princess? Not content with a simple apology, the firey tsundere insists on violence. The male MC and fiery tsundere end up fighting, where the fiery tsundere is surprised by the skill of the male MC.

Wow, look at that. You can't tell if I'm talking about Calvary or Asterisk, and what I just described was the bulk of the episode for Calvary, and around half the episode for Asterisk. Both have the potential to become harem anime to some degree, so I don't even get the point of bringing that up. Like I said, both are likely to diverge and at least become a little bit unique, but in the end, they will still be largely cookie cutter and will probably remain fairly comparable from the start of the season to the end simply due to the similar characters and setting.

The one area where they will clearly start moving apart is character motivation. In Asterisk, it's shaping up to be some mystery tale of revenge or some such, while Calvary hasn't made it all that clear on what the focus is likely to be for the character beyond "prove I'm not the weakest". It looks like they'll both be playing the tournament angle, so no real surprises are likely to come out of the general plot development.

The one thing Asterisk has on Calvary is that Asterisk had more exposition at first, so they have a slight mystery angle going on, while Calvary is looking to bring people back with character relationships and the show of the MC's power despite being called the weakest. From their 20 minute showings though, it seems highly presumptious to kickback and say that one of them will suck while the other will be a-ok.

I only drop after 1 ep if something annoyed me or seemed dumb; if it was "just a bit boring" I keep giving it a shot, so I haven't dropped anything yet

To watch tomorrow:
Tantei team KZ
Ore ga ojou-sama
Sakurako-san
Taimadou Gakuen

Trust me. Join the Asterisk master race. I watched hundreds of these things and Asterisk is clearly better. You're all focusing too much on content when Asterisk has the far superior execution.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.