By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Super Official Anime Discussion Thread

Ka-pi96 said:
uran10 said:
Ka-pi96 said:

You think the arc where Ash finally had a decent rival was where the anime died?

Gen 1 was great largely because of how funny it was, especially with all the cute Pikachu humour. And the Ash vs Gary thing was quite interesting although not really expanded on much.

Gen 2 was largely boring. It had none of the humour of gen 1 and it seemed to drag on way too long. The Pokemon league part of gen 2 was done very very well though.

Gen 3 was good because it added something new with May. Gonna get a lot of hate for this but... Misty was just a terrible character. May had actual goals and did stuff to achieve them and developed a lot over the season.

Gen 4 kind of kept that going with Dawn and also had Paul, 'nuff said.

Gen 5 seemed to try and throw away everything that made the anime good, haven't finished it though so maybe it improved.

LOL wow no... Misty was good, I absolutely could not stand may, and Dawn was even worse than her. I've heard horror stories about Iris so I'm quite happy I skipped that series. Misty's goals were simply to be the best water Pokemon trainer. May was simply annoying and Drew was way too good for her. Gen 2 for me was when Pokemon was really enjoyable then it died slowly in gen 3 and gen 4..... was terrible. Gen 5 was somehow worse than it. Gen 6 from what I've watched so far is good.

Hence why I included the part about actually doing something about it. Misty said she wanted to be the best water pokemon trainer countless times but never actually did anything to progress as a water trainer. There was like no character development at all in gen 2 and not exactly much in gen 1 to start with.

May actually changed from a girl who just wanted to travel and didn't even like pokemon to being a confidant pokemon co-ordinator with a close bond with her pokemon, especially her starter. And the fact that she had Drew to challenge, support and rival her was a definite plus too. Wasn't just Drew either there were others like Harley as well. Who did Misty have to interact with other than Ash/Brock? Pretty much no one, her sisters did pop up on the rare ocassion but they didn't exactly do much either.

Iris was bad though, so yeah skipping that series was probably a good idea. Got to say Dento was pretty awesome though, I just loved his voice actor. He's so over the top with everything and it just fit perfectly.

Beautifly and Skitty were very important for May too, she won a medal in the 7th generation thanks to Skitty. Well, and... I read about a year ago in WikiDex that Iris had a very similar attitude with Ash compared with Misty. Now I'm more curious about the female protagonists of the series xD

PD: The girl trainer of Pokémon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire compared to Pokémon Ruby/Sapphire is incredibly different. So that's the conclusion: May from 2003 --> May from 2014 == Dawn or Serena (bad prank xD)

Around the Network
Roronaa_chan said:
Versus_Evil said:
Its been a over a decade since I watched Pokémon, wow.

I never did

Manglobe went bankrupt?

OH NOOOOOOOOOOEZ!!!!

RIP my second favorite studio.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Death Note should have ended after 25 episodes

#1 Amb-ass-ador

Roronaa_chan said:
Versus_Evil said:
Its been a over a decade since I watched Pokémon, wow.

I never did

Manglobe went bankrupt?

Just heard about that.  Sad to hear them go since I enjoyed quite a few of their past works

Comet Lucifer had a decent starter

Around the Network

Comet Lucifer ep. 1 - Not many points for originality, not with the whole mysterious girl tied to a mysterious mecha thing, but the world is very well imagined and the production values seem excellent. I have hopes that the care given to the framework means that the premise will be less generic than it seems. Please surprise me Comet Lucifer.

Utawarerumono Itsuwari no Kamen ep. 1 - I watched the scene with the tail grab seven times.

I won't miss Manglobe one bit ...

They were decent for the first half of their life but then they went to crap as time went on so they definitely deserved to go out of business and especially after picking to adapt Gangsta ...

fatslob-:O said:
I won't miss Manglobe one bit ...

They were decent for the first half of their life but then they went to crap as time went on so they definitely deserved to go out of business and especially after picking to adapt Gangsta ...

Genocidal Organ looked interesting though.

mis-tell

Here are some awesome old skool anime's in no particular order. (Only Da Best & RAW sheeeeeit makes it on my List! ENJOY! You're All Welcome!) I'm 36 & have been at this Manga/Anime game a long time! ;)

HELLSING

HELLSING ULTIMATE

BLACK LAGOON

DEATH NOTE

BERSERK

BASILISK

BLOOD LAD

KINGDOM

NINJA SCROLL

FIST OF THE NORTHSTAR

VAMPIRE HUNTER D

VAMPIRE HUNTER D BLOODLUST

CLAYMORE

WICKED CITY

DEMON CITY SHINJUKU

BASTARD!

BLACK ROCK SHOOTER

AFRO SAMURAI

CODE GEASS

D. GRAY MAN

SAMURAI CHAMPLOO

DEATH PARADE

SPEED GRAPHER

PARANOIA AGENT

BLOOD+

BLOOD C

TRINITY BLOOD

DEADMAN WONDERLAND

COWBOY BEBOP

ELFEN LIED

ERGO PROXY

FULLMETAL ALCHEMIST

FULLMETAL ALCHEMIST BROTHERHOOD

GANTZ

GAI-REI ZERO

GUNGRAVE

AKIRA

GHOST IN A SHELL

HIGH SCHOOL OF THE DEAD

KUROZUKA

MARDOCK SCRAMBLE

RIN DAUGHTERS OF MNEMOSYNE

ROSARIO VAMPIRE

PSYCHO-PASS

SAMURAI 7

SOUL EATER

SAMURAI X

SAMURAI DEEPER KYO

SHIGURUI DEATH FRENZY

TRIGUN

TO LOVE-RU

VAMPIRE KNIGHT

VAMPIRE KNIGHT GUILTY

WITCHBLADE

DANTES INFERNO

BIOHUNTER

HEAVY METAL

HIGHLANDER SEARCH FOR VENGEANCE

REDLINE

INUYASHA

FATE/STAY ZERO

NARUTO SHIPPUDEN

ONE PIECE (Almost did not put on this list as it is not RAW, but it's good)

Here is my list of new awesome anime's too...

1 AKAME GA KILL

2 TOKYO GHOUL

3 OWARI NO SERAPH 

4 SHINGEKI NO BAHAMUT GENESIS

5 SHINGEKI NO KYOJIN (ATTACK ON TITAN)

6 GARO NO HONOO KOKUIN (GARO THE ANIMATION)

7 PARASTYE

8 FATE/STAY NIGHT UNLIMITED BLADE WORKS

9 DONTEN NI WARAU/LAUGHING UNDER THE CLOUDS

10 NANATSU NO TAIZAI/THE 7 DEADLY SINS

11 BLACK BUTLER

12 MAGI THE LABYRINTH OF MAGIC

13 KILL LA KILL

14 BLEACH - Movies/Full series (1000 Year Blood War Arc Animated in 2017)

15 GANGSTA

16 PRISON SCHOOL

17 ROKKA NO YUUSHA

18 OVERLORD

19 GATE JIEITAI KANOCHI NITE, KAKU TATAKAERI

BONUS Game Anime's...

BAYONETTA BLOODY FATE

DEVIL MAY CRY THE ANIMATED SERIES