By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Super Official Anime Discussion Thread

A Demon Slayer sequel movie was announced

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2019-09-28/demon-slayer-kimetsu-no-yaiba-anime-gets-sequel-film/.151647

Having just caught up on the Manga a couple days ago, holy shit this arc will be a treat to see animated on the big screen.

Around the Network
Mar1217 said:
animegaming said:
A Demon Slayer sequel movie was announced

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2019-09-28/demon-slayer-kimetsu-no-yaiba-anime-gets-sequel-film/.151647

Having just caught up on the Manga a couple days ago, holy shit this arc will be a treat to see animated on the big screen.

I was really intrigued with this one ... watched 7 episodes so far and I was pleasantly surprised right off the bat with multiple aspects.

Now, isn't there enough manga material after the 1st season to make a 2nd one instead of a movie ?

There is plenty of material for about 3 Seasons, plus the movie. But the next arc is short enough and epic enough to justify adapting it as a movie. To top it all of it is the most popular arc among Manga readers.

Chihayafuru Tops BookLive! Poll For Most Anticipated Fall 2019 Anime

Japanese e-book vendor BookLive! released poll results from 1,250 readers regarding the most anticipated fall 2019 anime or live-action titles based on novel or manga titles. (So, no Fate/Grand Order on this list.) The top 10 titles as chosen by BookLive! users are as follows:

1. Chihayafuru 3
  2. My Hero Academia
  3. Sword Art Online: Alicization - War of Underworld
  4. The Seven Deadly Sins: Wrath of the Gods
  5. Kodoku no Gourmet live-action series
  6. Kono Oto Tomare!: Sounds of Life
  7. Food Wars! Shokugeki no Soma: The Fourth Plate
  8. Kanshikan Tsunemori Akane (Psycho-Pass manga)
  9. City Hunter French live-action film
  10. Sherlock BBC TV drama

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2019-10-01/chihayafuru-tops-booklive-poll-for-most-anticipated-fall-2019-anime/.151616

Nifty to see Chihayafuru on top of all those shounens.  It deserves all the attention.  Good to see Kono Oto Tomare placing well, too. 

No. 10 is also interesting--the Japanese certainly love their detectives.  Actually, some of my favorite TV series ever are Japanese detective works, like Trick and Keizoku.  Both are freaking brilliant.  I really need to rewatch Keizoku: SPEC 2 and the related movies, there is nothing like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4gPQDyOixQ

First semi teaser netflix cowboy bepop. so far the cast is spot on.

The new season has started and so far it's luckily mostly trash. Even the animes I liked so far are kinda meh. But that's not bad at all since I have plenty to catch up from last season.

I'd say the two biggest disappointments so far are Azur Lane and Kandagawa Jet Girls.
Azur Lane is just too crazy and campy, not even close to the amazing animes that are Strike Witches and KanColle. But it has boobs and fox girls in kimonos so I'll probably continue it.

Kandagawa Jet Girls is sadly the bad kind of trash. Terrible quality, bad writing, only passable fan service. I'll probably continue it but only because it has full frontal nudity.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network

Hoshiai no Sora is the "out of nowhere" surprise for me so far this season.  I like the artstyle, the characters seem interesting, and it appears to be a lot less monotone than most anime about sports clubs.  Even after just one episode, it's clear that some of these characters are struggling with difficult situations that go way beyond winning and losing games.  

I don't really want to say more than that.  Much of the first episode is about mini-revelations that kind of change the observer's understanding of the characters and their problems.  

Really like the main (?) girl, too.  She's quirky and funny.

No Guns Life ep. 1 was interesting and entertaining.  Felt like kind of an over-the-top Blade Runner theme with a dash of comedy.  Really liked the "nun" bad-girl, her voice work was really good and hot villains are the best.  The main character himself is ... on the silly side ... but it's anime.  What can you do.  

Mairimashita! Iruma-kun is basically a Disgaea game.  Not bad, not great.  Human kid attending a high school in the Netherworld while trying to keep anyone from finding out he's human and eating him.  He banana peels his way past obstacles and accidently makes others think he's super-powerful.  Looks like he'll form a harem of demon-girls.  Not a bad way to go out.

Beastars sp. 1 was flat-out excellent.  Better than the manga, in my opinion, at least to start with.  More concise and connected.  The art is better and the animation is fluid.  The movements are lifelike and the eyes and faces of the animals are expressive, especially with conveying the nervousness of the herbivores.  The music and sound are SUPERB, and the voicework, too.  Another thing I like is that we're getting to see Haru's point of view right from the start, including the bullying she has to endure.  Looks like Orange has a damn good follow up to the fantastic Land of the Lustrous.  Adapting manga that's amazing yet different from the norm seems to be working for them.

Mar1217 said:

I did put it on my watch list after seeing that it was about "tennis" & stuff, I'm glad to see some good feedbacks around it ^^ I'll give time to watch it this weekend I guess.

I honestly had no special interest in it and it was probably 50/50 whether I would skip it or not.  Sports anime is often the same formula with a different skin.  The best indicator of quality is usually feedback regarding the manga--as with something like Chihayafuru--but I'd never heard of this (turns out it's an anime original).  However, something about the cover image made me feel that it might not be the same old recycled material so I decided to give it a try.

"Fate Grand Demon Babylonia Front Order" or whatever it's called is mostly ho-hum ... 

At least, it was, until the goddess known as Jaguarman showed up.  My favorite character this side of Saber.

Finally got some time on my trip to Japan to catch up on some backlog.

Finished Machikado Mazoku. Still the most critically underrated anime of 2019. It's a comedy anime that's actually funny and has a very heartwarming story with pleasant characters. It's an easy 9 for me, which puts it on the same level as great comedies like Ichigo Mashimaro, Pani Poni Dash and Milky Holmes.

Finished Kimetsu no Yaiba. It's perfectly passable, the comedy is alright and the drama is visceral and effective. But I still can't overlook the fact that the writing is bottom tier shounen trash. The anime is on a high level of execution both visually and direction wise and it definitely deserves better than having the eloquence of an average yugioh episode.

Started and almost finished SSSS. Gridman. Sounds terrible on paper and it's yet another Trigger anime not directed by Imaishi. I was pleasently surprised. Direction is on point, visuals are passable but oh my god, the writing is absolutely amazing and it's brought to life by absolutely stellar performances by the seiyuu. This is what peak seiyuu sounds and looks like. Itpulls you in and never lets you go. I still have 3 eps to go but I can't wait to see the resolution of this interesting piece of plot.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.