By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - What's Your View On Communism?

It is a utopian idea that just does not work and undermines progress

Around the Network

We have free healthcare and education in capitalist countries. Welfare state for the win... if done right.

No troll is too much for me to handle. I rehabilitate trolls, I train people. I am the Troll Whisperer.

The driving force behind accessible health care, post-secondary education, public transportation and affordable housing has been one of the greatest forces for good the world has ever seen. It's a pity that the extremely productive planned-economy of the USSR was used to militarize the region to such a ludicrous degree. Oh well, all systems struggle with authoritarianism due to human nature and communism seems to be among the most vulnerable due to it being so centralized. It's a real pity that all of the Libertarian and anarcho-communist nations were destroyed by either the fascists or Soviets (except for the Kibbutz region of Isreal).

it worked so well for the ussr.

nope full capitalists, i work hard as hell, i am where i am because i worked hard as hell. to have some government know nothing tell me how to live, what to buy, etc, i rather die then live like that. take that shit somewhere else.

to say well it helps everyone is bullshit, it makes everyone equally miserable unless your in the ruling party.

Im not going to change your mind, im not going to try. i know what is right for me, and my country.

People think Canada is communist..

I am here to say that is not true.

nice

Around the Network
Mr Khan said:
Kane1389 said:
IIIIITHE1IIIII said:

Capitalism punishes those who choose to aid the poor

wat

He's half right and half wrong, as i remembered later thinking about this post after my initial reply last night. Long-term, capitalism rewards businesses and individuals who choose to inject more money into the bottom rungs of society. Short run, capitalism absolutely condemns it, usually through short-tempered investors who flip their shit over anything other than constant growth in dividends. Capital investments alone are seen as a necessary nuisance, let alone any who dare to help their poorer workers get a leg up.

That doesnt mean it punishes aiding the poor

Can I just congratulate you all on having an incredibly civil discussion on the subject of Communism

Having said that I am an Anarcho-Collectivist (If I had to choose) which as far as I can see is and has always been the best system x

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collectivist_anarchism

Capitalism is far far better than communism...as far as international advancement and theory is concerned.
However, the problems that hamper our society is our underlying social structure. We support only the cheapest of products, those made by slave labor. We turn a blind eye to predatory business practices. We allow companies to function for their own complete benefit without recourse.
Now, some might say that acting in the business' best interest is good for society. However, it should also be said that socially conscious business practices improve the bottom line. Government shouldn't reward businesses for helping the poor, the people should. We should reward good companies with our money, not bad ones.

But, even if we as a country fixed this problem, the international market would be a completely different story.

It's unfortunate....but it sure beats communism.

Miguel_Zorro said:
Smear-Gel said:
A lot (and I ight even say most) of the hate communism gets is from people looking at dictatorships and calling it communism.

I think it's pretty great. Capitalism isnt much better, honestly.

It fails though because people naturally just dont wanna share. It's why it broke down the first time and why people have to be "forced" into doing it now, and why it's unrealistic to expect it to work in the future unless something is persuading people to do it (whether it is force, the greater good, robot overlords, whatever.)

Everyone talks about how "awful" Cuba is blah blah commies, but they have some of the highest doctor to people populations in the world, an amazing literacy rate, very lowe absolute poverty, and thier school grades arent bad either. I know this from a Cuban who was interviewed for my Sociology class.

Haha, have you been to Cuba?  I have.  Everything is crumbling.  The GOVERNMENT REPORTED poverty rates are low.  The fact is virtually everybody there lives in poverty except the maids in hotels (who earn more than the doctors).

You've lived there or "been" there, because im simply repeating something ive heard from someonw lived there a long time along with things i learned in Geography and Sociology class. Everywhere is crumbling. I never said it was perfect either way. 

Despite being a so much "a unreachable dream of ideal world", I think its a better system than capitalism, since it focuses in the people, not in the capital. The problem is: It was poorly executed by the politics who tried it.

I don't like all the communist ideas, but I think most of them are good. A system executing most of good ideas of communism and leaving some room for the liberty of the people is my ideal view of government system.