By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - From Nintendo's POV: should Splatoon's single player campaign be open world?

spemanig said:
I'm the first person to say that a game should be open world, but not Splatoon. Doesn't make sense.

Really? The multiplayer, though smaller scale and very clearly tube-shaped in terms of field design, gave me a sense that the players were exploring the maps to claim the maximum terroritory available to them. Furthermore the emphasis on getting around and 'joy of movement' I've heard players report about it really gave me the impression of a game that would benefit from enabling players to have the most routes around an area possible.

Assuming the single player isn't akin to Mario Karts or the meat of Smash Bros Classic Mode - though admittedly it could be centered on stuff more akin to, lets call it "Board The Breakable Target Platforms To The Finish".

Around the Network

I don't really think it would be possible to make that kind of game open world.

Besides, 1080p 60fps pls.

I don't see the point of doing that.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

TomShoe said:
I don't really think it would be possible to make that kind of game open world.

Besides, 1080p 60fps pls.

Heh, graphical fidelity is seldom a concern of mine, but I have to ask why you don't think the game would make sense in an open world map?

Twilord said:
Mystro-Sama said:
It's coming out next year so I doubt they have enough time to make a fully fleshed out open world.

The first thing we saw of it was playable and I heard no mention of glitches so its hard to figure out how far along it is, or how far along the as yet unseen parts are. Besides which I would suggest that its possible for them to make one giant map which you fight effectively a large-scale 'war' over in single player with the same amount of effort as it would take for them to organise a large number of single player variations of the multiplayer maps. - Unless they do it Mario Kart style, admittedly, which may yet happen.

Put simply you may well be right, but you may not nessecarily be; the question is - do you feel would it make sense for Nintendo to tackle that concept over the other options and do you think it could be effectively used with the mechanics we've seen so far?

I don't think it would be necessary. They just need to make at least a decent campaign, fine tune the gameplay mechanics, and make sure there are enough modes.

Around the Network

Splatoon campaign should be maps where you fight against a mysterious masked plumber man who tries to wash away your colors!

Mystro-Sama said:
Twilord said:
Mystro-Sama said:
It's coming out next year so I doubt they have enough time to make a fully fleshed out open world.

The first thing we saw of it was playable and I heard no mention of glitches so its hard to figure out how far along it is, or how far along the as yet unseen parts are. Besides which I would suggest that its possible for them to make one giant map which you fight effectively a large-scale 'war' over in single player with the same amount of effort as it would take for them to organise a large number of single player variations of the multiplayer maps. - Unless they do it Mario Kart style, admittedly, which may yet happen.

Put simply you may well be right, but you may not nessecarily be; the question is - do you feel would it make sense for Nintendo to tackle that concept over the other options and do you think it could be effectively used with the mechanics we've seen so far?

I don't think it would be necessary. They just need to make at least a decent campaign, fine tune the gameplay mechanics, and make sure there are enough modes.

I agree that there would be a number of ways to do it right, and whether its open-world, Mario Kart esque, or "Board The Breakable Target Platforms To The Finish" the single player will no doubt be mostly a fun distraction from the meat of the matter.

I'm just curious what form the unseen single-player will take - I decided to try and think of the different forms it could take and this one popped out in my mind as the most interesting possibility to ask people their take on. I can certainly see it working in my mind but I figured it might bring about some fun discussion.

phaedruss said:
This game is the next Titanfall lol. I, for one, think mechs are more interesting than the stupid paint mechanic. As far as the single-player campaign, we don't know that there is one yet.

Oh my goodness, do you hate everything? First off, Titanfall was way, way, way more hyped than Splatoon is. Titanfall was supposed to save a console and completely redefine the FPS. The games aren't even comparable either. There's no way you can compare mechs with paint. If a game came out that shot balloons instead of bullets, you could compare it to Splatoon. But mechs, no way.

Edit: You don't have to make every thread a shit show. Instead of telling us how much you hate this game (which you have never played), comment on the question that was asked in the OP. He didn't ask for your opinion on the game or if you thought there would even be a singleplayer mode.

I bet the Wii U would sell more than 15M LTD by the end of 2015. He bet it would sell less. I lost.

There are some games that need open-world, and some that don't.

Splatoon is one that doesn't.

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

Splatoon isn't really the kind of game for open world. Besides, I'm pretty they're more focused on the multiplayer for this game.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."