By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why Destiny Will Not be the Next Call of Duty...

Too complicated for the average Joe to master? So is every game. The average Joe is average, not the best else they'd be the master.

Take CoD for example, I'm no average Joe sure, Cod certainly isn't for them as I walk over them most games I play.

Hmm, pie.

Around the Network
Mystro-Sama said:
No one said it's going to be the new cod.

Activision certainly implied it with that $500 million budget ;P

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

It'll be a huge hit and COD is declining, but I agree, COD loyalists (and there are quite a few left) won't go for Destiny long term. Activision and Destiny will win no matter what because many of those COD fans dying for something to play and bored with Ghosts will still buy both.

The MP is also very skill based, similar to Halo. No insta-kill.

It seems to me that destiny may end up taking over from CoD as the biggest selling FPS franchise. But I doubt it will reach the CoD peak of sales.

And it is going to be on PC, already announced I believe.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

toastboy44562 said:

-Too complicated for average joe to master

Slight disagree, COD has more classes more kill streaks etc, which is more complicated. COD is simpler in that kills are quicker and maps are more simplistic

-No PC release (that I know of)

Agree

-No nintendo fanbase (Call of Duty was/is on Nintendo platforms)

Slightly irrelevant, since Wii U doesn't have the same casual appeal

-Gives a more hardcore vibe where as Call of Duty gives more of a casual vibe

Subjective but true.its not advertised like a pick up n play thing like COD

-So many shooters on Market these days

not really relevant since only halo MCC, COD and destiny matter in terms of AAA, Hardline is pushed to 2015

This franchise will do Halo Numbers on the New systems but not Call of Duty numbers. The industry just doesnt need any more shooters I dont think. Maybe I am wrong! The industry is leaning toward open world games and this is kinda open world so it might who knows?

For all intents and purposes its the first next gen Halo

Kudos on Well thought out thread

9/10

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Around the Network

It will be the next COD if it releases a new game every 11 months or so.

Australian Gamer (add me if you like)               
NNID: Maraccuda              
PS Network: Maraccuda           

Well it really comes down to Destiny not having the simplistic, fast paced shooting that makes COD very accessible.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

toastboy44562 said:

-Too complicated for average joe to master

-No PC release (that I know of)

-No nintendo fanbase (Call of Duty was/is on Nintendo platforms)

-Gives a more hardcore vibe where as Call of Duty gives more of a casual vibe

-So many shooters on Market these days

This franchise will do Halo Numbers on the New systems but not Call of Duty numbers. The industry just doesnt need any more shooters I dont think. Maybe I am wrong! The industry is leaning toward open world games and this is kinda open world so it might who knows?

-

u missed the one point

the online only areas and messages in the offline world

imho this will hurt the game.

dangerguy said:
It'll be a huge hit and COD is declining, but I agree, COD loyalists (and there are quite a few left) won't go for Destiny long term. Activision and Destiny will win no matter what because many of those COD fans dying for something to play and bored with Ghosts will still buy both.

The MP is also very skill based, similar to Halo. No insta-kill.

Going to have to disagree completely with this. No insta-kill doesn't neccessarily mean a game is more skill based, Halo CE was the game with the largest skill gap of the halo games and it had the fastest kill time. A lot of what made halo skill based was map control and control of the power weapons which is limited in destiny, for example I can spawn with a sniper that has huge amounts of bullet magnetism and drop people in 1 or 2 shots and if people shoot me I don't get descoped and in comparison to halo you'd have to fight for the sniper which wouldn't have as much aim assist as it is in destiny and be descoped if you were shot making it a lot harder to use. I could also mention the fact that you can run about with a shotgun off spawn thats easy to use and that destiny doesn't feature an utility weapon like the BR, magnum or DMR which are hard to master.

I definitely wouldn't describe destiny as a skill-based multiplayer game when it comes to it's PvP.